Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Hand Car Purchase

Options
  • 05-11-2013 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I recently bought a second hand car (5 weeks ago) car is a vw gt tdi golf, purchased from a dealer ship, wont name where, that I can see he isnt SIMI but I am still searching to be sure.

Bottom line, the car has been leaking coolant, so much so that I have had to refill the coolant twice in the last 3 weeks, brought it to my local mechanic and he has advised me that the head gasket is about to go on the car (rendering it an economic write off almost and useless to me) car cost near 4000.

Where do i stand here? I see on the receipt I got it is stamped all over it sold as seen. I have the advert i purchased off it online. Do I have anything to go back to him with? I have a feeling i will be told to fcuk off?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Was it a proper dealer with a yard etc or the more shady type?

I don't think it really matters as if you bought something that has sold as seen all over it, and you signed for the car then I reckon this is a lesson learned.

As with any sale, your mechanic should always accompany you, so that he/she can give the car the once over.

You can try going back and seeing what he says but I reckon you'll be told where to go. Try the old sale of goods act and the fit for purpose lark, it may scare him into a fix.

But he hasn't and is not obliged to give you a warranty. Sorry :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭rock22

YbFocus wrote: »
    Was it a proper dealer with a yard etc or the more shady type?

I don't think it really matters as if you bought something that has sold as seen all over it, and you signed for the car then I reckon this is a lesson learned.

As with any sale, your mechanic should always accompany you, so that he/she can give the car the once over.

You can try going back and seeing what he says but I reckon you'll be told where to go. Try the old sale of goods act and the fit for purpose lark, it may scare him into a fix.

But he hasn't and is not obliged to give you a warranty. Sorry :(

I don't think the above is correct. See www.nca.ie where there is a section on buying a car from a dealer ----
    Your rights when you buy from a dealer When you buy from a dealer, the car should be: Of merchantable quality – it should be of reasonable, acceptable quality given the age and history of the car Fit for the purpose intended and roadworthy As described – it should match the description given verbally or in an advertisement. It is an offence for a dealer to provide misleading information about the car including its history, specification and any repair work needed. A dealer must not give you misleading information about themselves such as any authorisation they claim to have, their after sales service or any code of practice in place. It is also an offence under consumer law for a dealer to withhold information when selling a car. - See more at: http://www.consumerhelp.ie/cars-rights-wrong#sthash.6kWCqOdY.dpuf

Contact the dealer immediately , set out the problems and aske him what remedial action he intends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Im sure the dealer has to sort this one out but can a head gasket really make a 4000 euro car, a financial write off?

Surely not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭Quixoticelixer

Im sure the dealer has to sort this one out but can a head gasket really make a 4000 euro car, a financial write off?

Surely not?

Replaceable, but between parts and labour it could cost close to about €2000 ( no more than that, maybe half that if you're lucky!)

Replaceable, but between parts and labour it could cost close to about €2000

A Head gasket, a skim, a timing belt and tensioner + labour and that's working out at €2000??

Change your mechanic!

€50 for gasket kit
    €50 for skim
    €120 for belt, tensioner and pump.
    €400 labour.

€600. Even 800 would be ok.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭Quixoticelixer

YbFocus wrote: »
    A Head gasket, a skim, a timing belt and tensioner + labour and that's working out at €2000??

Change your mechanic!

€50 for gasket kit
    €50 for skim
    €120 for belt, tensioner and pump.
    €400 labour.

€600. Even 800 would be ok.

I'm not saying the true cost is close to two grand, what you said here is probably closer to the truth, and it's not something I have ever had to get fixed, but I have heard many instances of mechanics quoting in the €1500-2000 range for that job.

In any case, even €500 would be unfair on the OP after shelling out €4000 for it so recently, I'm guessing the fact the OP spoke of it in terms of being a write off means they got a very severe quote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

If the person selling a product is doing so as a business, consumer rights apply. Approach the dealer and then get proper advice if a solution is not forthcoming. The issue will be, if it's a dodgey dealer, this won't be the first time he's had dealings with the courts and will know the score.

Thankfully Golfs are a relatively simple car to work on, so a gasket and belt would never go to that league. I can understand other cars being far more expensive, my own BMW surely would be hell, but the garage could do it on there own time for €300 tops.
    I sure hope they do, but I'm not sure that they will.
    I reckon he'll have to threaten the sale of goods act on them to get anywhere.

Just that if they decline and it seems that there is nothing he/she can do then it's not the end of the world, the cars are great machines usually.

Op where are you based? I have a mechanic contact that used to do my VW work at the weekend as nixer's for peanuts, fantastic work too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Op I'm just wondering how your mechanic can tell that the HG is 'about to go'. In my experience there is rarely half measures, it's either gone or it's not. Is it overheating. Where's the coolant leaking from. Would you not just fix that and see how you get on. I'm with the previous poster, €600 should more than cover the cost of repair.

Advertisement