Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Night-time Water Restrictions

Options
  • 05-11-2013 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Only just found this out by trying to fill the kettle. Searched the net and could only find a post on Greystones Area Office & Greystones Town Council facebook page......posted 6 hours ago. Thanks for the notice Town Council.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

lol..... and we have to pay for this soon....

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Gordy6040

Hey all.
    Looks the the water is off in the area, anyone know what time its back on in the morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Wineman

Same restrictions tomorrow night too :( I thought our water comes from Roundwood reservoir?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

It is not off everywhere in the Greystones/Delgany area

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

This is just great... with cold night i wont be able to use the heating. Almost feel like in 80s in Poland.
    Why dont Bordgais do the same? We could save so much money in the year...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    It is not off everywhere in the Greystones/Delgany area

Reduced pressure in most cases. It's still on in Charlesland but pressure no where near normal.
    yoshiktk wrote: »
    This is just great... with cold night i wont be able to use the heating. Almost feel like in 80s in Poland.
    Why dont Bordgais do the same? We could save so much money in the year...

Your heating should not be affected as it's a closed system and if it's an open system it has a small tank backup that should not be an issue unless you have a massive leak in the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

Wineman wrote: »
    Same restrictions tomorrow night too :( I thought our water comes from Roundwood reservoir?

Theres no "production" problem in vartry where gstones water comes from .why have we got restricted pressure?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Maudi wrote: »
    Theres no "production" problem in vartry where gstones water comes from .why have we got restricted pressure?

What is the problem in Ballymore if its not a production problem?

What is the problem in Ballymore if its not a production problem?

Ive no idea what the problem is in ballymore..i mentioned there is no problem in vartry so why is greystones which gets its water from vartry under restrictions?

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

Ive no idea what the problem is in ballymore..i mentioned there is no problem in vartry so why is greystones which gets its water from vartry under restrictions?

Maybe they have to share the Varty water with the areas affected by the Ballymore Eustace problems...assuming that can be done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Maybe they have to share the Varty water with the areas affected by the Ballymore Eustace problems...assuming that can be done.
    I'm sure there are facilities to pump water from one 'system' to the other in case of emergencies.

Might come in handy if the Vartry Tunnel collapses, because then you'll have no water at all :D

http://www.independent.ie/regionals/braypeople/news/vartry-tunnel-replacement-scheme-said-to-be-advancing-29476392.html

I was just wondering why you put the word production in quotes? It's as if you are insinuating that someone is lying about the problem in ballymore.

Alun i don't think they can switch between systems county councils tend to look after themselves! I know in seabourne we had no mains water yesterday but our mgmt company said it is a local issue so maybe it's just in charlesland?

Alun i don't think they can switch between systems county councils tend to look after themselves!
    The thing is though that Vartry reservoir and the treatment works there, despite being in Wicklow, is owned and run by Dublin City Council, and Wicklow have to 'buy' the water they use off them. It also supplies lots of South Dublin too via the storage reservoirs in Leopardstown. It'd be a major catastrophe if the tunnel failed if there was no contingency plan in place.

EDIT: Found a map on Dublin City councils website which indicates that the Leopardstown reservoirs are connected both to Vartry and Roundwood/Ballymore so there is some interconnection of the two systems. Whether that could be used in the case of a breakdown in supply from Vartry to supply parts of Wicklow is another question though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

It does appear that Charlesland is on a different supply to the surrounding area. It's not the first time Charlesland has had water supply issues while Greystones, Delgany etc remain unaffected.

The Ballymore reservoir does supply parts of Wicklow but it's difficult to find any related info online.

The only parts of Wicklow that I can realistically see Ballymore supplying directly would be in West Wicklow, like Blessington etc. as i t wouldn't really be practical / possible to pump water over the Wicklow Mountains. As far as I know the water main running from Vartry to Leopardstown supplies everything along the N11 corridor via various storage tanks and small reservoirs. My part of Bray for instance gets fed from two small reservoirs up behind Woodies off the Southern Cross, see the two circular things here http://goo.gl/maps/KoyDt.

Here's a map of the overall network http://www.dublincity.ie/WaterWasteEnvironment/DrinkingWater/Documents/Dublin%20Region%20Water%20Newtork.pdf

I suspect there are similar small holding tanks / reservoirs around to supply other parts of Bray / Greystones and it could be that some of these are having unconnected problems of their own.

Alun wrote: »
    The thing is though that Vartry reservoir and the treatment works there, despite being in Wicklow, is owned and run by Dublin City Council, and Wicklow have to 'buy' the water they use off them. It also supplies lots of South Dublin too via the storage reservoirs in Leopardstown. It'd be a major catastrophe if the tunnel failed if there was no contingency plan in place.

EDIT: Found a map on Dublin City councils website which indicates that the Leopardstown reservoirs are connected both to Vartry and Roundwood/Ballymore so there is some interconnection of the two systems. Whether that could be used in the case of a breakdown in supply from Vartry to supply parts of Wicklow is another question though.
    That's interesting I never knew they had that facility! The problem might be getting it implemented however!

That's interesting I never knew they had that facility! The problem might be getting it implemented however!
    I suspect it's more so that Leopardstown is able to receive water from both processing plants, rather than being able to pump water from there to Wicklow in the case of the Vartry tunnel collapsing.

I was just wondering why you put the word production in quotes? It's as if you are insinuating that someone is lying about the problem in ballymore.

Alun i don't think they can switch between systems county councils tend to look after themselves! I know in seabourne we had no mains water yesterday but our mgmt company said it is a local issue so maybe it's just in charlesland?

Nope..id never insinuate anybody in control of water would be lying about it..im sure they tell us 100% of the truth all the time...

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭domel

is that's why the water is yellowish colour? - just moved in to Charlesland last week and water seems to be a bit off it's natural colour. My wife doesn't want to take a baths now, help!

Advertisement