Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone claimed back tax on the fees??

• 05-11-2013 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

hey just wondering about claiming fees back.

I had to pay full fees this year, slightly over €7,000. Am I able to get something back on these?

Im doing engineering and tech graph teaching in UL (LM095).

Thanks folks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

You need to submit a claim to the Revenue Commissioners with your fees receipt.

I'm not sure if it's still a credit or if it's an income deductible.

In the case of a credit your tax liability will be reduced by 20% of 7k, in the case if deductible, your income Will be deemed 7k less for tax purposes.

If you don't have tax liability or income then you can't get anything back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Drained_Empty

ninty9er wrote: »
    You need to submit a claim to the Revenue Commissioners with your fees receipt.

I'm not sure if it's still a credit or if it's an income deductible.

In the case of a credit your tax liability will be reduced by 20% of 7k, in the case if deductible, your income Will be deemed 7k less for tax purposes.

If you don't have tax liability or income then you can't get anything back.

you would think after 10 years in UL you'd have your facts right.

Listen pal, these are the three things you need to know
    Full-time student: There is no tax relief on the first €2,250 spent on tuition fees (including the Student Contribution) for the 2012/2013 academic year.
    The maximum amount of fees (including the Student Contribution) that can qualify for tax relief is €7,000 per person per course.

So basically you'll get 20% of 5000 back which is 1000. Your parents, presuming they are paying tax, can claim it on your behalf.

good luck

Advertisement