Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storage heaters relay gone?

Options
  • 05-11-2013 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭

So its getting a bit nippy, and i tried the storage heaters out for first time in months.

The heaters work but on the wrong setting. It was nightsaver, but.now seems to be on during day but not at night.

Relay went earlier, could hear it click on, so nightsaver kicks in.at 10 rather than 11pm like it used to.
    I am aassuming its just the clocks or relay timer is off. Can i fix or adjust this myself or do i need an electrician? i am again making an assumption that because the relay is clicking on/off as nightsaver kicks in, that the relay works but just it's time is off?

Any help /advice would be appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭NicoleL88

I think this is happening to mine too and I have no idea how to sort it. Mines an old Creda heater, model number 79268.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thalia_13

Mine are Dimplex. I dont want to be calling out landlord/electrican unless i def cant.fix it myself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

thalia_13 wrote: »
    So its getting a bit nippy, and i tried the storage heaters out for first time in months.

The heaters work but on the wrong setting. It was nightsaver, but.now seems to be on during day but not at night.

Relay went earlier, could hear it click on, so nightsaver kicks in.at 10 rather than 11pm like it used to.
    I am aassuming its just the clocks or relay timer is off. Can i fix or adjust this myself or do i need an electrician? i am again making an assumption that because the relay is clicking on/off as nightsaver kicks in, that the relay works but just it's time is off?

Any help /advice would be appreciated!

The edited post above seems to contradict what you said in your reason for editing: Last edited by thalia_13; Yesterday at 22:23. Reason: editted to add... heats up during day, fuse light is on, relay kicked on at 10pm light to fuse went off

That's a bit confusing! However if the heaters are charging during the day instead of the night it suggests that timer that controls the heating is faulty & needs to be replaced. You'll need to contact ESB Networks or else your electricity supplier, who will arrange for ESB networks to come out & replace the timer (they'll usually call out if the timer if off by more than an hour either way) which would be located at the main meter area in your apartment block. There wouldn't be a charge for this.

To check that this is the problem (apart from the fact that you already know by looking at the light on the fused switch) go out to wherever all the electricity meters are. You will see cabinets with all the individual meters in them.

Look for another cabinet with two timers - one would probably be a digital display: this one should show the correct time (give or take an hour), the other timer would be a dial type clock timer similar to the one on plug in timers. That's the one that controls when the heat controller in your apartment kicks in. Check the time on that & you'll probably find that it is wrong or stuck on the same time. Once that type of timer malfunctions it can take on a life of it's own resulting in the heating coming on & off at odd times & even staying on for days at a time.

If that timer is showing the correct time then there would probably be something wrong with the actual
    supply in your apartment which you'd have to get an electrician to check, but the chances are very strong that it's the timer in the main meter area, meaning that all the apartments are affected.

If, as you say in one part of your post that the nightsaver is kicking in at 10pm (& off 6am instead of 11pm & 7am) you have nothing to worry about really, but you could ring your supplier or ESB Networks & ask them to check the timer. It just means that your heat will start charging an hour earlier & stop charging an hour earlier.

Thanks a.million for that great reply! It is confusing that i hear relay kick in.yet it is the wrong way round. I will call esb later, quick question should i get the landlord involved?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

thalia_13 wrote: »
    Thanks a.million for that great reply! It is confusing that i hear relay kick in.yet it is the wrong way round. I will call esb later, quick question should i get the landlord involved?
    No, I don't think there would be any need, unless it turns out that there is something wrong with the supply/equipment in the apartment itself, which going by what you say is unlikely.

• Advertisement

The dial.clock in electric cabinet is 2 hrs behind and no digital one on display. The dial one does move it's not stuck.
    I think the landlord was in a different apt recently for similar reason so im waiting to hear back from him, he has an electrician he uses, so might be easy get him check our system.
    Thats cushie for your help!! Bloody storage systems baffle me!

Advertisement