Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any amateur astronomers in the Waterford and Wexford areas?

Options
  • 06-11-2013 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭

Just doing some sleuthing,but I'd like to know if there are any (would-be) amateur astronomers, or even anyone simply interested in astronomy, in the Waterford and even Wexford area?

Thanks,

Seanie.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Dharnam

Hi Seanie.
    Im in the Wexford area. Im an amateur and could do with a bit of help. I have just bought a used Meade LDX75 6". Im doing ok but it really would be great to join a group or meet astronmers with expertise.
    Regards, Ciaran. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

Hi Ciaran,

Thanks for the reply! There is (was) a Waterford-based group called Deise Astronomy Society - ever hear of them? Where in Wexford are you based?

Seanie.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,300 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Dharnam wrote: »
    Hi Seanie.
    Im in the Wexford area. Im an amateur and could do with a bit of help. I have just bought a used Meade LDX75 6". Im doing ok but it really would be great to join a group or meet astronmers with expertise.

I presume that 6" is a Newtonian. Very hard to wear out a Newtonian! What you bought there was an 'under-used' telescope.

:)

Hi Seanie.

I have never heard of them but will check them up. Im living roughly 5 miles north of Kilmore Quay. Are you based in Wexford?

Hi Endacl.
    Yes its a 6" Newtonian. Its all perfect appart from the collimation screws. The threads are gone so I had to apply some tape on the screws so they would hold. I am only starting out but its amazing to view the planets. Im waiting for a clear night so I can view ISON and Pan Starrs. :)

• Advertisement

Hi Endacl.
    Yes its a 6" Newtonian. Its all perfect appart from the collimation screws. The threads are gone so I had to apply some tape on the screws so they would hold. I am only starting out but its amazing to view the planets. Im waiting for a clear night so I can view ISON and Pan Starrs. :)

Collimating screws are threaded?!? Feck! Previous owner must have been very hard on them. That's a first for me. Good to hear its in a safe home now...

Check with Meade. They're usually very helpful as regards bits 'n' bobs. They sent me out a new counterweight shaft FOC, after I lost (don't ask) the original.

Hey.
    Its actually the threads on the rear of the OTA thats gone. I was thinking of asking Meade. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Kersh

Hey.
    Its actually the threads on the rear of the OTA thats gone. I was thinking of asking Meade. :)

Is it the actual collimating ones or the 3 locking ones?

Hi. Yes sorry it is the three locking screws. One is badly worn. The other two are not so great either. Do you have any tips?

Ill have a look at mine when I get home, and see if I can come up with a solution.

Ill contact Meade and see if there are replacements available handy.

• Advertisement

That would be great, thanks. :)

That would be great, thanks. :)

Plumbers PTFE tape is a handy temporary fix. A few wraps around the screw should tighten things up a bit. If it's the threads in the base of the scope, this may become a more long-term fix...

Hi. I have used plumbers tape already. Its ok for now but the threads are gone in the base. I was thinking of using screws with a slightly wider thread. :)

Had a quick look last night. Bringing a thread gauge home with me this evening to get a better idea :D

Best job may be a re-tap and new screws. Ill find out the thread.

I do use 2 big tap & die sets to help customers mount scopes and sort guiding setups, and its handy enough to do.

PTFE tape for the moment though!!

Hi. Thanks for this. Do you sell or service telescopes? Would you be able to fix this and if do how much would it cost. Regards. Ciaran. :)

Check my sig!! :D

I dont generally repair scopes, but your (our!) fix is easy!!

Just had a good look at my Meade N6, and also those on my SN10 Meade. The fit of the screws on both is fairly rattly at best, years of use I would imagine -these arent the youngest scopes in the world now.

The best bet would be to drill and tap the hole to M8.

Then get 3 M8 setscrews of similar length.

I have hundreds here if you want me to pop some in the post.

To do the job, you will need a -
    • Drill
    • 6.9mm drill bit
    • M8 tap & tool
    • 3 x M8 setscrews

If you are up Dublin way at all, bring it with you and ill do it for you - 5 minute job!

Now there's some proactive goodwill generation!

Nice one.

;)

Dont know what to say apart from thanks very much. Wish I could offer something back. Not sure when I would be in Dublin next, if I send an SAE would that be ok? :)

Ah its no problem at all.

Pm me the address and Ill fire down a few.

do you have, or can you get, the tap & tool/drill/drill bit.

Woodies may have them, or a local hardware.

I can get drill and taps. A friend is an engineer he can do it. Ill PM you my address now. Thanks :)

• Advertisement

Now there's some proactive goodwill generation!

Nice one.

Cheers, :)
    I can get drill and taps. A friend is an engineer he can do it. Ill PM you my address now. Thanks

Super, On the way to you now!

So back on topic :pac: (Sorry Seanie)

Astronomers in Wexford/Waterford . . . .

Great thanks. Owe you one :)

So back to the thread, is there any amature astronomers in the Wexford area interested in setting up a group? I have been trying to contact an old group called "Slaneyside astronomers" but they must be finished up? :)

Great thanks. Owe you one :)

So back to the thread, is there any amature astronomers in the Wexford area interested in setting up a group? I have been trying to contact an old group called "Slaneyside astronomers" but they must be finished up? :)

Slaneyside AS went by the wayside around 4 years ago unfortunately. To answer your original question to me: no, I am not in the area, but I am looking to see if - under the IFAS banner - we can restore a proactive club in the region, as Deise AS have begun to fall dormant, and may need a little help to keep going. I have family in Wexford, so traveling down is not a problem for me to help get something started, but it is always helpful to get some people already in the area contribute too (local knowledge, location-finding, etc.).

What do you think Dharnam, would there be anyone else like you who might be interested in continuing a club or starting a new one?

Any questions, just ask!

Seanie.

Hi Seanie.

Thats a shame about the Slaneyside group. I would love to have a group close by. How about the Slaneyside members? I sent them an email a few weeks back but got no reply.
    I joined the IFSA only a few weeks ago too, its a great group and site, great for myself learing the ropes so to speak.
    I dont really know anyone who would be interested in forming or joining such a group really. Ill post something on Facebook and see what response I get.
    Ill help in any way I can. I cant wait to learn more and meet like minded people.

That's great Ciaran, I like your enthusiasm! If it is something that might be seriously considered by you, one thing you should try is (a) setting aside a night that, in a given location, you can set a meeting venue, and then (b) put a notice in the local/regional newspaper's community notes section (always free), the library notice board, Tesco or SuperValu notice board, etc. This is how just about any club starts, so why not the same in your neck of the country? Then use the people and resources available (both free) through portals like the IFAS website and soon things snowball in a good way.

Thoughts?

Seanie.

Thats what I was thinking of doing. Ill make up some posters and get them out this week. I posted on Facebook and found an old friend who has a scope and is very interested. I was supprised. There are three of us already me my friend Eoin and my fiancee Anika. This could blossom into something great. Thanks for the support Seanie we really appreciate it and were looking forward to meeting you. Will keep you posted. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭somegirl2009

Just wondering if someone could advise me on what type of telescope to get, This will be the first telescope I will have in my adult life (i had a telescope as a child) so im looking to buy one which would be suitable for someone like me (easyish to use) however one that is also good.Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated Thanks ....

Sounds like progress Ciaran! My part is not big, but I am glad to help.

If you haven't done so already, make sure to register on www.irishastronomy.org (free, simply to take part in the chats on the forums) and post up your intentions so that others - who may not be here - can perhaps also take part.

What town are you thinking of giving it a go in?

S.

Great ill join that site too. Thanks. It will be in the wexford area. Not sure of the location yet. Our house is new. We only moved in not long ago and its not totally finished. The grounds are not suitable yet for a crowd. Its fine for me tho. Do you have any advice on what kind of location that we should look for? We were trying to find ISON from our house but had no luck. I think the ditch was in the way. I have a mound of soil that we put the scope on too but think the next field with trees were in the way too. We were ragin. ;)

• Advertisement

Ciaran, as a meeting venue, it should be easy to get to with some sort of parking nearby. In MAC, we have had 6 different homes since 1986 between schools, a Order of Malta room, heritage centre, a Church, and soon a guesthouse lounge! We only moved if there was a change in circumstance, such as dark sky location, or a cost involved. All of these were/are in Tullamore.

However, we have our own 1/2 hour acre site a mile outside town that we bought in the early 90s that serves as a dedicated outdoor site. Add to that other locations we each as individuals have as favourite spots, there are plenty of locations around for observing.

You will need to find that kind of place that will be safe, easy to get to, accessible with telescopes o good ground, while at the same time gives you good skies for observing away from strong light pollution and towering obstacles.

Seanie.

Advertisement