Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations of Golfclubs and other spots to see!

Options
  • 06-11-2013 1:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi everyone!
    Some friends and I (4 in total) are planning to come to Ireland in June or August 2014 for our GG-Tour (GOLF & GUINNESS)!
    Two of us are single handicappers and 2 mid-high handicappers. Actually we never played real Links Golf but would love it to get a "punch in the face" and leave a course kind of frustrated and with a reason to come back.
    We're 4 german students, so we would also like to get some pints of Guinness in the evening in an real traditional irish pub.
    But none of us have ever been to Ireland before and thats where we're looking forward to your help.
    We're thinking to stay about 7 to 10 days. Half of the time in Dublin and some 3 to 5 days driving north, south or west. Depends on the recommendations.

We want to play one course every day but if possible not the most expencive ones but some hidden champions. Greenfees less than 50-60€ would be perfect for our student budgets.

Looking forward to some positiv response.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,157 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

This thread and the link in the opening post will give you a good starting point http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057075385/1/

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭searay

If you want to play links golf on a budget you should head to the north west. One option is the northwest links challenge which is a competition over carne, enniscrone and rosses point which costs about €150. It takes place in early July. There is a forum about it here or else look at Kevin Markham's blog hooked for details.
    If you finish in sligo you have strandhill, bundoran and co donegal (murvagh) all good links on your doorstep.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭shamco

Agree with above post the cheapest area to play links golf is in the north west. If you base yourself in Ballina, Enniscrone, Carne and Donegal are within a reasonable distance although the drive to Carne is a bit of a chore. They are all reasonably priced. Ballina is a good lively town at night also. Links golf around Dublin or in the south west is very expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭tony melia

Go to the best course in nth county dublin ..corrstown. talk to the pro pat gittens he will look after you .Tell him tony sent you. Or go to forest little beside dublin airport 'great course 'talk to the pro ...tony judd.. or susan and tell him tony sent you

• Registered Users Posts: 21,157 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

PARlance wrote: »
    This thread and the link in the opening post will give you a good starting point http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057075385/1/

As others have mentioned, the North West of Ireland is where you will get the best value.
    The list above may be outside most peoples budget.

Here is another link, it's for a tour operator that does tours in the North West region.
    http://www.linksgolf-ireland.com/ireland-golf-tours/North-West-Ireland---The-Value-Tour/1

They offer a fully inclusive package, so again, it is probably going to be too expensive to book a package via the website.
    However, it gives you a list of the courses in the region and there is a day to day itinerary so you could have a look at that as it should help you figure out what is involved.

I would say that Car/Van rental is a must in the North West.
    Accommodation, green fees and your entertainment will all be far cheaper in that region. The courses are fantastic, it is cheaper because of it's location rather than the quality of the courses.

For the Dublin part of your stay, I would recommend Portmarnock Links as a relatively low cost but very good course
    http://www.portmarnock.com/
    And if you have spent all your money, you should can save some money at Corballis links where a green fee will only set you back about €20.
    http://www.corballislinks.com/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,203 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

i'd head to the north west as well, fantastic courses and a great pint of Guinness in the Pilot Bar Enniscrone.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Redzah

I agree with all the the Northwest has the best value but I think it doesn't quite have the same charm and overall package as the southwest. The rural Clare and Kerry pubs would give a lot more appeal to 4 german tourists than the northwest and sligo is not the best selling point for the irish countryside imo.

I'd check out lahinch and doonbeg (but both will prob be too high price). Then i'd consider a loop around Tralee, Waterville and maybe Dooks.

Tralees winter rate is €50 and Watervilles is around €60 and I expect dooks to be a lot cheaper. Waterville is prob the best links in the country. The staff and pubs down this part of the country are unbelieveable with some of the friendliest people you'll meet, I was in waterville last sat and couldn't believe the welcome and banter we received.

You also have the attraction of dingle and killarney being nearby to enjoy the pubs and non golf attractions etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Redzah wrote: »
    I agree with all the the Northwest has the best value but I think it doesn't quite have the same charm and overall package as the southwest. The rural Clare and Kerry pubs would give a lot more appeal to 4 german tourists than the northwest and sligo is not the best selling point for the irish countryside imo.

I'd check out lahinch and doonbeg (but both will prob be too high price). Then i'd consider a loop around Tralee, Waterville and maybe Dooks.

Tralees winter rate is €50 and Watervilles is around €60 and I expect dooks to be a lot cheaper. Waterville is prob the best links in the country. The staff and pubs down this part of the country are unbelieveable with some of the friendliest people you'll meet, I was in waterville last sat and couldn't believe the welcome and banter we received.

You also have the attraction of dingle and killarney being nearby to enjoy the pubs and non golf attractions etc.

OP is looking to come in the summer and on a budget so whilst I agree with you about the courses themselves it would be v expensive at the height of summer.

I would definitely head North West if looking for links and a bit of real Ireland. I actually think the countryside in Sligo is pretty damn good, maybe not up there with the Kerry or West Cork but impressive all the same.

I would be tempted with an overnight at Belmullet to play Carne and then a couple of nights further north to play Enniscrone and maybe up as far as Ballyliffin.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Redzah

Webbs wrote: »
    OP is looking to come in the summer and on a budget so whilst I agree with you about the courses themselves it would be v expensive at the height of summer.

I would definitely head North West if looking for links and a bit of real Ireland. I actually think the countryside in Sligo is pretty damn good, maybe not up there with the Kerry or West Cork but impressive all the same.

I would be tempted with an overnight at Belmullet to play Carne and then a couple of nights further north to play Enniscrone and maybe up as far as Ballyliffin.

Apologies, still waking up and didnt notice the Summer criteria. Forget everything i said as its way too expensive. I was thinking it was gonna happen soon at winter rates. As all previous posters have said, northwest is your only real option on your budget.

Eniscrone is very good and Strandhill is a lovely little track (and nice area to have a few beers in). Co. Sligo may be too expensive. After that if you can get Carne at good value then go for it, i've never played it but i've only heard great reviews about the place. You should go back to Dublin via Galway (about 1.5 to 2 hours south), stay a night in Galway and drive to Connemara the next day, play connemara links which is a lovely track and stay in Connemara that night, you prob won't get a more rural irish experience than here and you will hear a strange language being spoken also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

If you do nothing else in Ireland make sure you get up and play Dublin Mountain GC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

10 nights arrive early,
    Start in Dublin and Play Portmarnock Links €50. Head North and play Ardglass. Then across to Portrush and Portstewart if the budget will allow if not bypass to Ballyliffin then Rospenna, Nairn and portnoo, Donegal. If you have not run out of time then play Enniscrone, Co. Sligo and Strandhill. Maybe put in Concra Woods for some thing a bit different.
    If you are really keen it is possiable in July in Ireland to Tee off at 8 in the morning play a round finish at 12 have lunch mess around for a couple of hours and play golf again at 5 in the afternoon its bright till after 10 at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

ForeRight wrote: »
    If you do nothing else in Ireland make sure you get up and play Dublin Mountain GC

Jaysus - My German friend (6-1 / 0-3) this is called Irish Humour. Ignore.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

PARLance's post above is good on Dublin,

The best links in Dublin are, The Island or Portmarnock , but they are too expensive.

I would agree for budget - Portmarnock Links , note this is not not Portmarnock Golf Club, but Portmarnock Links is a fantastic example of a shallow dune links - great course - not to mention it was designed by a real Irish / German favourite Bernard Langer. So I'd say it is a must for you and in budget if in Dublin.

Corballis is a public course and not up to the standards of the great Irish links - but it is quirky , cheap and has great view of Dublin. Again - even in Dublin, a car a must (IMO).

Sorry if I'm stating the obvious - but the Van/Car you use will be a big consideration for 4 lads with clubs - but I'm sure you have considered this - keeping this expense down will take a bit of work.

Whilst Ireland looks small and is , these course can be on secondary roads and the journey will take longer than the distances suggest. Now that is a "bit Irish" - but you get me - back roads - no Motorways outside big towns. But worth the drives.

I' ll leave the west coast to the other lads above, but within your budget - Enniscrone and Srandhill a must.

If in Dublin City Centre the Guinness tour is very good

http://www.guinness-storehouse.com/en/Index.aspx?gclid=CP-Tme220LoCFfBF2wodUFkA0w

then down to The oldest Pub for one

http://www.brazenhead.com/

Then take your pick from
    http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/travel/inside-ireland/take-10-old-dublin-pubs-26523902.html

By the way , Temple Bar is an expensive area of Dublin where it is very expensive , and "The Pint is muck". But there will be plenty of action with lots of young Germans and every other nationality of the world.

‘Good puzzle would be cross Dublin without passing a pub,’ says Leopold Bloom, the main character in Ulysses.

A great quote - but an awful book.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 JensenGP

AWESOME!!!!

what an overload of good information within just a couple of hours! Thanks a lot, really appreciate this.

We had actually no real idea where to start and where to go to. But now we can start planning.
    I'll let you know about our schedule when it's finished so if someone is keen on watching 4 german Links greenhorns playing golf or drinking a pint somewhere you'll be welcomed!
    In Dublin of course we'll plan to do the Guinness Tour and maybe some "sightseeing". Multicultural places are always nice but we're not afraid of the natives. I'm surviving in Mexico and Guatemala for 10 month right now and the other had spent a lot of time traveling aswell. We're used to adapt to locals quickly! ;)

So thanks a lot and if someone thinks the other forgot a crown juwel let me know!

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,515 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

If you are looking for links on a budget near Dublin, then as mentioned above Corballis is a good spot to introduce you to that style of game

I'd imagine you'd get out midweek for about €15. You're unlikely to find a cheaper option.

Plus if you play there, the money you'd save on that round could be put towards treating yourself to something a bit higher on the budget scale

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭John Divney

Portmarnock links is 45 euro mid week. It's really worth that, built on pure links land, deep bunkers the lot. Also, designed by a fellow German, Bernhard Langer.

If you are doing the East coast, there is also deal to play Baltray, a top 10 course in Ireland and hosted the Irish Open. Headfort New, one of the best parklands in the country, and Knightsbrook, another good course (parkland, for 125 euro for all three.

That would be three top courses, one good one, for 170 euro, a mix of links and Parkland.

I'd agree on doing Ballina and playing Ennicrone and Carne, two superb links courses and value for money.

I believe there is a pass, I stayed in the Ballina Hotel and played both, sorry I can't remember the deal but it was very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,515 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Also, if you are considering Parkland golf on a Budget, you'd probably get a 4-ball out for €100 in Tulfarris which is quite close to Dublin, and has some beautiful views of the Blessington Lakes

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭rollotomasi

Also, once you've settled on the few courses you'd like to play, it would do no harm to check out teetimes.ie or golfnow.ie for greenfee costs that might be better then the rate on the individual course's websites. And don't be shy about ringing up the clubs and asking for the best rate for a fourball and/or if they would throw in some food! There are also deals for stay-and-play in a few courses. Don't forget to try out some parkland courses too!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Rodrigo

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Think the OP only wants a taste of links not all links.
    If it's still available then for €125 you can play Knightsbrook, Headfort New and Baltry, can't beat that for value! Details here...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

Dingle in the Southwest is a fantastic spot. Longish drive from Dublin - about 4.5 to 5 hours, but worth it if you have a few days. Good pints, music and reasonably priced golf on Dingle Golf Links at the tip of the peninsula. And the scenery is stunning. Wild seas and Brandon mountain. Nice friendly golf club, links course, green fees about €50 I think but ring and ask Steve for a deal.... here's the web site: http://www.dinglelinks.com. You won't regret it!

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Ronney

Second what has been said about the North West being the best value.

Here is an outline suggested trip,

Dublin (Area) Courses:

Play a selection of;

Links: Portmarnock Links, European Club (expensive)
    Parkland: Druids Glen, Carton House, Palmerstown House, Luttrelstown Castle, possibly K-Club.

Go Stay in Ballina, play Carne (27 holes) and Enniscrone.

Stay in Sligo play Rosses Point aka Sligo and Murvagh aka Donegal Golf Club

Head up the coast to Downings and play the 2 courses in Roseapenna

and Back to Dublin.

Good mix and able to stay 2 nights at least in all places. Also get to visit a big city, big town, average size town and village

For your Guinness side of things most night life will be Thursday to Sunday, so take that into your planning too.

Go to a GAA match should be some on most weekends mostly Sundays in Croke Park (Dublin) or depending on how results go you might catch one outside of Dublin that time of year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

I won't mention the north-west since it's already proven so popular. The Atlantic Coast Challenge is taking place on 7, 8 and 9 July 2014. You won't find a better combination of links and you can play them for €120 if you book your tee time before end of the year. And since you're up there, play Strandhill - a gem.

Sligo and Mayo are beautiful counties - not as dramatic as Kerry, but there's a beauty to the open spaces and beaches. One place not mentioned so far is Castle Dargan, which is outside Sligo town and has a parkland golf course of its own (designed by Darren Clarke). You can hire an apartment for the four of you within the hotel complex.

Around Dublin you've been given the most obvious links, with Portmarnock Links hotel providing a good base and the course there and at Corballis are the two 'value' links in the area. Parkland golf around the area - you'll have Luttrellstown nearby, Tulfarris, Beech Park and Lisheen Springs to the west of the city, as well as Stackstown (Padraig Harrington's 'home' course) on the M50. South of the city is Druid's Glen - a top 3 Irish parkland and good value.

Advertisement