Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Putting books onto iOS device

• 06-11-2013 1:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,941 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

I don't have my laptop open in front of me but there was always a books tab before.

Also what issues are you having with Dropbox? Locate file in Dropbox, then look for the 'open in...' dialogue box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,941 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

I just updated to 11.1.3 and the books section is still there. Just drag'ndrop them onto iTunes.

So you have to use ibooks ? Try another eBook reader app like Marvin or Shubook ? and manage your eBooks on your computer using Calibre, which you can use to manage your library and strip DRM so that you can read them anywhere anytime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,941 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

Well done.

When you get comfortable with iBooks, please explore further. With iBooks you are limited with the App store. With a 3rd party app you are encouraged to access the wider world of independent reading with many great reads at much more affordable prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,918 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

The best way is to set your iDevice to manually manage music & video through iTunes. Once that's done all you need to do is drag the book file from the finder to your iPhone in iTunes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Aodhagan wrote: »
    The best way is to set your iDevice to manually manage music & video through iTunes. Once that's done all you need to do is drag the book file from the finder to your iPhone in iTunes.

Also worth remembering that on the main tab of your device there's an option to "sync this iPad/iPhone over wifi" meaning you never need to hunt for the cable and plug it in again just to install some books.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The problem with manually managing your music with iTunes is that if you restore your device for any reason you have to remember what was on there and drag everything back. It's much easier to sync with a playlist. After using iTunes for 12 years, I can't imagine having to manually manage everything.

The problem with manually managing your music with iTunes is that if you restore your device for any reason you have to remember what was on there and drag everything back. It's much easier to sync with a playlist. After using iTunes for 12 years, I can't imagine having to manually manage everything.

I find it much easier the manual way. All my music is in the cloud with iTunes Match & I play on the go so no need to keep syncing.

Adding movies to my phone is much easier to drag into it from the downloads folder than to see what's synced with my iTunes library. Same for books.

I can see your point though but for me iTunes gets overly complicated when you have it set to sync. Rather just manage the few files I throw on their myself because often when you choose to start syncing books through iTunes it wipes all the other content from your device (which I painfully discovered last week).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I find it much easier the manual way. All my music is in the cloud with iTunes Match & I play on the go so no need to keep syncing.

Adding movies to my phone is much easier to drag into it from the downloads folder than to see what's synced with my iTunes library. Same for books.

I can see your point though but for me iTunes gets overly complicated when you have it set to sync. Rather just manage the few files I throw on their myself because often when you choose to start syncing books through iTunes it wipes all the other content from your device (which I painfully discovered last week).

Well that's fair enough if you are using iTunes Match. I use Match as well and don't need to sync music with iTunes anymore, so I could probably set my devices up the same way. But otherwise it's much easier to sync with a playlist.

In my experience, most of the issues iTunes-hating Windows users experience with iTunes is down to them disabling things like syncing, copy files to library and organise media folder. They never learn the difference between backup and sync. Then they go to restore their device and are presented with a load of warning messages and end up losing all their music and can't understand why.

iTunes syncing can be a bit of a pain at times, but provided you're careful and take the time to understand how it works, it can make your life a lot easier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Piliger wrote: »
    With iBooks you are limited with the App store.

This isn't true at all.

Get Dropbox and put your books into your dropbox folder. Open them on the iPad and select "Open In…" then iBooks. You can now read books in iBooks.

On top of this, after reports of Amazon deleting peoples books when they feel like it, I now use Calibre & DeDRM to convert my Amazon books to a format I can backup/view in iBooks or any other reader.

Well that's fair enough if you are using iTunes Match. I use Match as well and don't need to sync music with iTunes anymore, so I could probably set my devices up the same way. But otherwise it's much easier to sync with a playlist.

In my experience, most of the issues iTunes-hating Windows users experience with iTunes is down to them disabling things like syncing, copy files to library and organise media folder. They never learn the difference between backup and sync. Then they go to restore their device and are presented with a load of warning messages and end up losing all their music and can't understand why.

iTunes syncing can be a bit of a pain at times, but provided you're careful and take the time to understand how it works, it can make your life a lot easier.

I don't use it on Windows thankfully but for the most part I'm just copying over mp4 files and when doing a playlist I just drag and drop them over wifi. I don't see the need to have the mp4 file in my iTunes library first, just an unnecessary extra step for me but whatever suits people, it's good there are a few different ways to get our content over.

Hobbes wrote: »
    This isn't true at all.

Get Dropbox and put your books into your dropbox folder. Open them on the iPad and select "Open In…" then iBooks. You can now read books in iBooks.
    Not books you buy from Amazon........unless you strip the DRM first.
    On top of this, after reports of Amazon deleting peoples books when they feel like it, I now use Calibre & DeDRM to convert my Amazon books to a format I can backup/view in iBooks or any other reader.
    Which is what I recommended.

Imho, everyone should immediately strip the DRM from any book they buy from anywhere.... with Calibre, and then manage their library in Calibre, by far the best eBook library manager. This enables the user to change device, change eReader or eReader app whenever they wish and keep control and ownership of all of their books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭col.in.Cr

Hobbes wrote: »
    This isn't true at all.

Yes I do that,it works a treat.

Advertisement