Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oil heating boiler service

• 06-11-2013 9:04am

My heating stopped working yesterday.

There's oil in the tank before anyone asks!

It seems to be firing up as in you can hear it starting up when I swtch it on.

I don't know much about servicing oil boilers so looking for either tips how to do this or probably more sensibly recommendations for someone to have a look at it, cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

It is probably airlocked which is a common issue on boilers. There will be a bleed nut somewhere on your boiler that needs to be opened before you fire up the boiler. It will trip a few times more while draining but just keep resetting until the air bubbles are expunged from the line

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

What boiler is it? Model?

If you want to go down the service route, get a proper service person and not just some handy guy that does it on the side.
    Service will be close to 100 yoyo and should include (thanks shane0007):
    • Inspect & clean fuel filter
    • Inspect & test operation of fuel shut off valve
    • Inspect & test operation of remote acting fire valve where fitted
    • Inspect air inlets to boiler room for blockages and correct sizing
    • Inspect draught stabilizer where applicable
    • Inspect & clean flame chamber
    • Inspect burner refractory
    • Inspect & clean baffles
    • Inspect & clean burner diffuser & burner blast tube
    • Inspect ignition transformer, HT cable & porcelain for deterioration
    • Inspect & clean photocell
    • Inspect, clean & adjust burner electrodes
    • Calculate correct output of boiler & fit new burner nozzle to suit installation
    • Adjust burner pump pressure & air ratio
    • Inspect & test operation of boiler thermostat & boiler high limit thermostat
    • Inspect & test operation of flame failure device
    • Carry Out Full Combustion & Efficiency Analysis with Flue Gas Analysizer:
    a. Boiler Combustion Analysis O² (Oxygen)
    b. Boiler Combustion Analysis CO (Carbon Monoxide)
    c. Boiler Combustion Analysis CO² (Carbon Dioxide)
    d. Boiler Combustion Flue Temperature
    e. Printed Report with Combustion Efficiency
    f. Full Explanation of Results

For condensing boilers, also:

• All of the above, plus
    • Inspect & clean condensate trap
    • Inspect & clean condensate pipework
    • Inspect & clean all secondary turbulators

Tell service person on the phone that you will require an emissions print out and oil pressure check.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

And always start your search for a service engineer by asking the simple question, do you use a flue gas anyliser and give a print out, if they answer NO, move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,921 ✭✭✭gifted

And always start your search for a service engineer by asking the simple question, do you use a flue gas anyliser and give a print out, if they answer NO, move on.

Anytime I get asked in work to "look" at someones boiler, I always use that excuse :), sorry bud but can't "look" at your boiler as I haven't got an analyser...drives them potty :D...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Is there water in the tank in the attic? Sometimes the ballcock gets stuck and the tank doesn't refill

• Advertisement

Cheers for the replies folks.

I actually just used this and bled it. Must have been air in it.

http://thehelpfulengineer.com/index.php/2012/04/bleeding-a-firebird-popular-90-oil-boiler/

Great satisfaction when I heard it firing up :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Cheers for the replies folks.

I actually just used this and bled it. Must have been air in it.

http://thehelpfulengineer.com/index.php/2012/04/bleeding-a-firebird-popular-90-oil-boiler/

Great satisfaction when I heard it firing up :)

You could have found that information by simply searching here, a lot safer than following the advice of a person who confesses to finding it dificult to locate the correct place and quite honestly is vague about just what to do and not do.

Advertisement