Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hate Windows 8.1, how do I get back to Windows 8?

• 06-11-2013 10:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭

My Asus came with Windows 8 installed for the last 2 weeks it has been prompting me to update to Windows 8.1 in the Windows Store for free. Yesterday I did but I only restarted my computer this morning and now I HATE IT.

How do I get back to my original Windows 8?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭Lennyzip

My Asus came with Windows 8 installed for the last 2 weeks it has been prompting me to update to Windows 8.1 in the Windows Store for free. Yesterday I did but I only restarted my computer this morning and now I HATE IT.

How do I get back to my original Windows 8?

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/24373-windows-update-uninstall-update.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

Lennyzip wrote: »

Do I literally just click uninstall for every Windows update with todays date? Is that all I have do to.

Do I literally just click uninstall for every Windows update with todays date? Is that all I have do to.

Go through the dates and just uninstall the last Windows Update , on a phone here so just doing it from memory . It should have a date and Windows 8.1 update or something .

Go through the dates and just uninstall the last Windows Update , on a phone here so just doing it from memory . It should have a date and Windows 8.1 update or something .

There are 9 updates for today's date. I says 'update for camera codec pack' and the other 8 say 'update for microsoft windows' followed by codes starting with KB followed by a series of numbers.

Windows help recommend opening a restore point but my computer is not letting me do this either.

There are 9 updates for today's date. I says 'update for camera codec pack' and the other 8 say 'update for microsoft windows' followed by codes starting with KB followed by a series of numbers.

Windows help recommend opening a restore point but my computer is not letting me do this either.

Uninstall all the windows 8.1 updates , just check the times they were installed at , they should be around the same time .

• Advertisement

Uninstall all the windows 8.1 updates , just check the times they were installed at , they should be around the same time .

Are you sure it's as simple as that. I was googling for a solution for the past hour before I came on boards. Nobody seems to have a solution.

Are you sure it's as simple as that. I was googling for a solution for the past hour before I came on boards. Nobody seems to have a solution.

Yes , I've done it many times . The major update will be the biggest file size .

Yes , I've done it many times . The major update will be the biggest file size .

Ok, I'll let you know how I get on, thanks.

It didn't work. I have uninstalled them all and restarted. Everything is still the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

It didn't work. I have uninstalled them all and restarted. Everything is still the same.

What about system restore.

• Advertisement

200motels wrote: »
    What about system restore.

Via Windows 8.1 I have gone:

Search - control panel - recovery - open system restore (according to the windows help section, it's says when you tap open system restore to just follow the instructions) but its not letting me, the function seems to be default greyed out and I can't even find an option to 'allow' in the configure section.

I'm tempted to just do a complete 'reset to factory settings', in your opinion will this revert my computer back to Windows 8, the condition it was in when I bought it.

I didn't get any discs or product keys or anything, it was just pre-installed on the laptop - sold as a Windows 8 PC.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Windows 8.1 is a new OS, not a service pack. I would assume you'll need to use the recovery partition on your laptop to reload Windows 8. Generally the recovery partition can be invoked pressing a button like F10 while the system is starting up. You'll likely have to loose your data in the process, however so make sure to back everything up..

Nick

Backed up everything and did a complete system restore. Thank god it worked. I have Windows 8 back and everything is like it was before so have to add all my files back on now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 big mad youngfella

i made same mistake. man windows 8.1 is real bad and not invertor works with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,687 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

You say you hated Windows 8.1 but I'm curious as to what specifically?

And AutoDesk Inventor, Youngfella? You're having issues running that?

Overheal wrote: »
    You say you hated Windows 8.1 but I'm curious as to what specifically?

And AutoDesk Inventor, Youngfella? You're having issues running that?

I hated loads of things from the arrows on the Start Screen page to the watermark on the desktop to the stupid extra Windows button the put in on the task-bar to the new layout of the Libraries and control panel. All stupid extras and it didn't look half as streamlined as it did previously.

My laptop took yonks to start-up, internet took ages to load, iTunes icon turned into a blank page, my documents took forever to open when clicked on...

Once I went back to Windows 8 everything speeded up again, I didn't pay an extra €150 for a faster iCore on this laptop to have it slowed down to a snails pace thanks to those at Windows.

I hated loads of things from the arrows on the Start Screen page to the watermark on the desktop to the stupid extra Windows button the put in on the task-bar to the new layout of the Libraries and control panel. All stupid extras and it didn't look half as streamlined as it did previously.

My laptop took yonks to start-up, internet took ages to load, iTunes icon turned into a blank page, my documents took forever to open when clicked on...

Once I went back to Windows 8 everything speeded up again, I didn't pay an extra €150 for a faster iCore on this laptop to have it slowed down to a snails pace thanks to those at Windows.

The arrow on the Start screen is a godsend to me, no more "right-click and choose All Apps". If you're talking about the Secure Boot watermark, there's a hotfix to remove it. The Start button is also a godsend to me, since I regularly work in remote sessions and trying to access blind hot corners in windowed remote sessions is a pain. I didn't see any differences in the Control Panel layout, unless you're referring to the PC Settings Metro app?

The rest of the problems you describe sound like typical issues encountered when performing an OS upgrade. I can guarantee you that if you did a clean install of Windows 8.1 then you wouldn't have these problems. :)

The only arrows I can think of are one tiny little arrow showing you the All Apps on the start, and the inclusion of Search fields within apps, which was a big complaint from users who didn't make the cerebral connection between apps and the search charm.

The other arrows only happen once: the big fat orange HERE IS HOW YOU COMPUTER arrows, for people who are just starting out. These disappear after the technique is demonstrated and never reappear.

As for the watermark if you mean the Bing watermark, thats from installing Bing Desktop, which can always be uninstalled.

Performance issues are hardware dependent. A clean build would definitely help. This is basically a New-OS level upgrade, so a clean install up to 8.1 and then reinstalling your programs after that point will give you better results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

I have some annoying mouse lag and nvidia driver crashes with win 8.1 (seems better with recent beta drivers but still not fixed). However everything else is pretty much like win 8 so I don't see what the op is complaining about. Yes the upgrade process is annoying, I had to reinstall everything afterwards.... But once that was done it's fine.

I got back to Windows 8 and I'm perfectly happy, the only reason I went for the upgrade was because it kept prompting me to do so over 2 weeks and it was getting annoying so I went with it.

I'm not looking for a solution on how to make Windows 8.1 better as I didn't want it in the first place, I just wanted to know how to revert back to Windows 8 after I had completed to upgrade, which I did by completing a system restore.

Posters on here might be all for 8.1 but the general consensus on web searches is that generally users don't like the upgrade. On particular article on reverting from 8.1 to 8.0 had a tag line of 'just don't upgrade to 8.1 and save yourself a lot of hassle'. I don't want to debate which is better, I just wanted to get back to 8.0.

• Advertisement

I don't even use any of the windows 8 or 8.1 features, I just use the desktop same as with windows 7. You can just completely ignore the new stuff. People hate change tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 squonkie

Interesting thread. I am the complete opposite! I would not go back to Windows 8 now

Be mindful that as Windows 8.1 is considered a service pack the support for Windows 8 will end in October 2015 while while Windows 8.1 will be supported till Jan 2023.

However Windows 9 should be here by then so it may be a moot point

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

What did you hate? I'm not sure I noticed much of a difference!

Zascar wrote: »
    What did you hate? I'm not sure I noticed much of a difference!

I already answered that question mod, a few posts up.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Regardless of windows 8 or 8.1 - everyone should install http://www.pokki.com/ - its a start menu replacement - but its better than any previous start menu. I could not use Windows 8 without it. You rarely need to use Metro now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

srsly78 wrote: »
    I don't even use any of the windows 8 or 8.1 features, I just use the desktop same as with windows 7. You can just completely ignore the new stuff. People hate change tho!

Same here. Works the same as Windows 7 for me. But with a few minor improvements.

the general consensus on web searches is that generally users don't like the upgrade.
    If you have a good meal at a restaurant, how many websites do you blog about it on? One? Two?

If you have a bad meal at a restuarant, what then? You blog it everywhere you go, some places you visit less frequently, you register for an account on yelp, and you be sure to tell anyone you come across that the restaurant is no good.

The people who don't like it are the loudest critics. Over 100 million people use Windows 8. If even 1% of those people didn't like it, and wrote a blog about it, that's a million blogs about their hatred. And don't be fooled, there is hate for every OS that comes out of Redmond. Fond I am of the days when customers came in and badgered me "UGH! Windows 7! Why don't you have XP?! I'm going somewhere else!"

Overheal just set the windows style to "classic", then it will look like XP and they will be none the wiser.

Overheal just set the windows style to "classic", then it will look like XP and they will be none the wiser.
    Nah. Besides the classic shell looks like garbage and they don't like that the buttons have been moved slightly around.

You have to remember there is an entire demographic of users out there who don't know how to use the computer, they know how to memorize a set of commands. All that minor rearranging they do when they make a new OS throws those users completely off.

• Advertisement

I meant with windows 7. I work with some weirdos that use classic style, looks just like windows 95.

To unlock the hidden achievement you need to give them a linux desktop without them noticing tho.

I meant with windows 7. I work with some weirdos that use classic style, looks just like windows 95.

To unlock the hidden achievement you need to give them a linux desktop without them noticing tho.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think you can change the start menu to classic in Windows 7 unless you use a 3rd party app, I know you can in Vista and XP.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think you can change the start menu to classic in Windows 7 unless you use a 3rd party app, I know you can in Vista and XP.

No, you're right. It was what prompted the development of Classic Shell.

Karsini wrote: »
    No, you're right. It was what prompted the development of Classic Shell.

It was to restore the Up button on explorer. Then the menu.

Classic Shell ads back features that MS remove along the way. The one I missed in Windows 7 was "free disk space and file size status bar in Windows 7 Explorer". I've been using it since then.

Rather than clicking in search and typing, clicking twice to an icon is just more efficient. sometimes newer isn't better. I wonder did they need to move to the search for everything paradigm because they'd moved things around so much even MS couldn't find anything any more.

Actually I was wrong, you can do it in windows 7, you have to go into personalize and change your theme to Windows Classic and it will then look somewhat like 98.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Dinarius

I've installed 8.1 and wish I hadn't. But, I'm not going to risk anything by uninstalling it and reverting to 8.0

But, one thing that's driving me nuts is it asks me for a password at startup. It's my email password - I see my email address and the password box below it.

How do I startup without a password?

Thanks.

D.

• Advertisement

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/disable-remove-password

First set up a "local account". Then click the "change password policy" button.

Just tried this out myself..... and this is some funny ****... When you create a new local account it seems you MUST set a password. However once it's setup you can then remove the password. Non intuitive... but I supposed it's designed to force good habits onto people.

Ok, I've changed from signing into a Microsoft Account with a password to signing into a Local Account with a password, and I was able to turn off signing in with a password from Sleep.

But, I can't see how you can avoid using a password from bootup.

Help!

Thanks.

D.

Ok, got it.

1. Hold down the Windows key and the X key together.

2. Choose Run from the pop-up menu.

3. Type netplwiz in the box and click Ok.

4. Uncheck the box that says; "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer." You will be asked to input your password to confirm this action.

That's it.

D.

My only peeve with 8.1 is what they did to (My) Computer.

Why do the folders (and indeed my phone) have to come before my drives? It's the same in the folder tree on the left so in small windows I have to scroll down to see my drives.

thispc.png

It remembers your settings, so just collapse the folders one. Also view -> details to get rid of the hello kitty style view.

• Advertisement

It remembers your settings, so just collapse the folders one. Also view -> details to get rid of the hello kitty style view.

But it doesn't collapse them in the folder tree on the left.

Well if you click collapse on the left it will.

Well if you click collapse on the left it will.

It collapses the drives too. The only way to remove the user folders is to use a registry hack but every time you install Windows updates they come back.

Karsini wrote: »
    It collapses the drives too. The only way to remove the user folders is to use a registry hack but every time you install Windows updates they come back.
    Just when you thought things couldn't get any worse along comes Windows 8.1 and proves that indeed things can and do get worse.

Do you often require access to the raw drive or are you more frequently going to be accessing your libraries? Personally I access those libraries more often, with the occasional glance at the drive overview to see capacity.

Overheal wrote: »
    Do you often require access to the raw drive or are you more frequently going to be accessing your libraries? Personally I access those libraries more often, with the occasional glance at the drive overview to see capacity.

I never use the libraries or user folders. All of my files are on a separate disk and I access them directly when required.

If its always the same remote disk you can include it in the library. I do that myself because my stuff is on multiple drives, things that I've had a while inevitably get dropped on the 2nd drive, all my SkyDrive stuff is on a 3rd drive along with a good chunk of programs and my music. It's not stuff I usually plan on clicking around for. Though lets get honest: a File Search is now the fastest way to do most of this, especially when you know what you're trying to fetch.

I can understand the reason behind a library where you are joining a few disks.

But I've never understood the reason for having layers of abstraction, of things like a folder, documents, music, video and now libraries.

Its just a shortcut to a folder, something we've had since windows 3.0 they just keep changing how its done, every release.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

beauf wrote: »
    I can understand the reason behind a library where you are joining a few disks.

But I've never understood the reason for having layers of abstraction, of things like a folder, documents, music, video and now libraries.

Its just a shortcut to a folder, something we've had since windows 3.0 they just keep changing how its done, every release.

I find handy for SSD users. You can move the default Music/Pictures/Videos etc. locations to another disk without hacking the Windows install. Not all software works with libraries although the majority will

Nick

Never thought of SSD. Handy for that I guess if you have a small primary SSD.

• Advertisement
Advertisement