Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hate Windows 8.1, how do I get back to Windows 8?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

srsly78 wrote: »
    I meant with windows 7. I work with some weirdos that use classic style, looks just like windows 95.

To unlock the hidden achievement you need to give them a linux desktop without them noticing tho.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think you can change the start menu to classic in Windows 7 unless you use a 3rd party app, I know you can in Vista and XP.

200motels wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think you can change the start menu to classic in Windows 7 unless you use a 3rd party app, I know you can in Vista and XP.

No, you're right. It was what prompted the development of Classic Shell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Karsini wrote: »
    No, you're right. It was what prompted the development of Classic Shell.

It was to restore the Up button on explorer. Then the menu.

Classic Shell ads back features that MS remove along the way. The one I missed in Windows 7 was "free disk space and file size status bar in Windows 7 Explorer". I've been using it since then.

Rather than clicking in search and typing, clicking twice to an icon is just more efficient. sometimes newer isn't better. I wonder did they need to move to the search for everything paradigm because they'd moved things around so much even MS couldn't find anything any more.

200motels wrote: »
    Actually I was wrong, you can do it in windows 7, you have to go into personalize and change your theme to Windows Classic and it will then look somewhat like 98.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Dinarius

I've installed 8.1 and wish I hadn't. But, I'm not going to risk anything by uninstalling it and reverting to 8.0

But, one thing that's driving me nuts is it asks me for a password at startup. It's my email password - I see my email address and the password box below it.

How do I startup without a password?

Thanks.

D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/disable-remove-password

First set up a "local account". Then click the "change password policy" button.

Just tried this out myself..... and this is some funny ****... When you create a new local account it seems you MUST set a password. However once it's setup you can then remove the password. Non intuitive... but I supposed it's designed to force good habits onto people.

Ok, I've changed from signing into a Microsoft Account with a password to signing into a Local Account with a password, and I was able to turn off signing in with a password from Sleep.

But, I can't see how you can avoid using a password from bootup.

Help!

Thanks.

D.

Ok, got it.

1. Hold down the Windows key and the X key together.

2. Choose Run from the pop-up menu.

3. Type netplwiz in the box and click Ok.

4. Uncheck the box that says; "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer." You will be asked to input your password to confirm this action.

That's it.

D.

My only peeve with 8.1 is what they did to (My) Computer.

Why do the folders (and indeed my phone) have to come before my drives? It's the same in the folder tree on the left so in small windows I have to scroll down to see my drives.

thispc.png

It remembers your settings, so just collapse the folders one. Also view -> details to get rid of the hello kitty style view.

• Advertisement

It remembers your settings, so just collapse the folders one. Also view -> details to get rid of the hello kitty style view.

But it doesn't collapse them in the folder tree on the left.

Well if you click collapse on the left it will.

Well if you click collapse on the left it will.

It collapses the drives too. The only way to remove the user folders is to use a registry hack but every time you install Windows updates they come back.

Karsini wrote: »
    It collapses the drives too. The only way to remove the user folders is to use a registry hack but every time you install Windows updates they come back.
    Just when you thought things couldn't get any worse along comes Windows 8.1 and proves that indeed things can and do get worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,692 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Do you often require access to the raw drive or are you more frequently going to be accessing your libraries? Personally I access those libraries more often, with the occasional glance at the drive overview to see capacity.

Overheal wrote: »
    Do you often require access to the raw drive or are you more frequently going to be accessing your libraries? Personally I access those libraries more often, with the occasional glance at the drive overview to see capacity.

I never use the libraries or user folders. All of my files are on a separate disk and I access them directly when required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,692 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

If its always the same remote disk you can include it in the library. I do that myself because my stuff is on multiple drives, things that I've had a while inevitably get dropped on the 2nd drive, all my SkyDrive stuff is on a 3rd drive along with a good chunk of programs and my music. It's not stuff I usually plan on clicking around for. Though lets get honest: a File Search is now the fastest way to do most of this, especially when you know what you're trying to fetch.

I can understand the reason behind a library where you are joining a few disks.

But I've never understood the reason for having layers of abstraction, of things like a folder, documents, music, video and now libraries.

Its just a shortcut to a folder, something we've had since windows 3.0 they just keep changing how its done, every release.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

beauf wrote: »
    I can understand the reason behind a library where you are joining a few disks.

But I've never understood the reason for having layers of abstraction, of things like a folder, documents, music, video and now libraries.

Its just a shortcut to a folder, something we've had since windows 3.0 they just keep changing how its done, every release.

I find handy for SSD users. You can move the default Music/Pictures/Videos etc. locations to another disk without hacking the Windows install. Not all software works with libraries although the majority will

Nick

Never thought of SSD. Handy for that I guess if you have a small primary SSD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Overheal wrote: »
    If you have a good meal at a restaurant, how many websites do you blog about it on? One? Two?

If you have a bad meal at a restuarant, what then? You blog it everywhere you go, some places you visit less frequently, you register for an account on yelp, and you be sure to tell anyone you come across that the restaurant is no good.

The people who don't like it are the loudest critics. Over 100 million people use Windows 8. If even 1% of those people didn't like it, and wrote a blog about it, that's a million blogs about their hatred. And don't be fooled, there is hate for every OS that comes out of Redmond. Fond I am of the days when customers came in and badgered me "UGH! Windows 7! Why don't you have XP?! I'm going somewhere else!"

You are so right on all accounts, over the years it has always been the same story: even Windows XP which so many users still swear by (to the point of effectively turning it into a Zombie-OS) was harshly criticized at the beginning. Hordes of users were disgruntled about the new start menu organization and general looks, claiming that Windows 2000 Pro or even...wait for it...that Windows 98 and ME (yes, ME) were better...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    You are so right on all accounts, over the years it has always been the same story: even Windows XP which so many users still swear by (to the point of effectively turning it into a Zombie-OS) was harshly criticized at the beginning. Hordes of users were disgruntled about the new start menu organization and general looks, claiming that Windows 2000 Pro or even...wait for it...that Windows 98 and ME (yes, ME) were better...

I have agree with both of you here. I read a blog recently that claimed 95% of computer users don't know how to work a computer, they have just learned the process that allows them to make the computer do the basic task they need. When the process to open their browser changes they panic because they can't adapt.

Personally I have found that once you learn the interface of windows 8 it is much better for productivity you can find programs quicker, switch between them quicker etc.

A lot of the XP added stuff like the double pane start menu is just screen fluff, eye candy. I still find the old Classic Menu more efficient for my use anyway. its depends what you are doing. If you use the same handful of apps open 24/7 or switch between twenty different apps constantly.

For example other than run, I have no need to use any of that stuff in the right pane 99% of the time. So I have no need of quick access to it. For me it takes up 50% of the start menu when I use those items only 1% of the time.

http://news.cnet.com/2300-17938_105-10009495-5.html

But at least it gave the option to configure how the heck you liked.

If they gave people the same option of the start menu and turn off metro, (and dropped the price) most people would love windows 8. Its nippy, has load of updated drivers for loads of hardware out of the box. Its like Windows 7.5.

GarIT wrote: »
    I have agree with both of you here. I read a blog recently that claimed 95% of computer users don't know how to work a computer, they have just learned the process that allows them to make the computer do the basic task they need. When the process to open their browser changes they panic because they can't adapt.

Also most users don't understand the concept of how things work. So they can't break out of linear process to think laterally.
    GarIT wrote: »
    Personally I have found that once you learn the interface of windows 8 it is much better for productivity you can find programs quicker, switch between them quicker etc.

I think Windows 8 is moving to the Gmail like search for stuff quicker. The Gmail model only works for some things.

Where as people like me would say, I don't need to search for stuff. Its one maybe two or three clicks away. Which is more efficient both in less clicks. But also the machine doesn't have to do work (search/indexing etc).

Advertisement