Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VDSL Installed - Speed lower than expected/promised

• 06-11-2013 10:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 351 ✭✭

Looking for some advice before contacting Vodafone. I had eFibre (VDSL) installed 2 weeks ago. I am only getting 18Mb download speed. I am 400m from the cabinet by road. I expected to get around 40Mb download speed. Even when ordering I was told by two separate Vodafone staff that their system showed I should get 40 to 50Mb download.

I wasn't at home personally during the install and had no opportunity to check the speed before the engineer (from KN) left the house.

Every speed test I have done shows the download speed maxing out at 18Mb. However the thing I don't understand is that the upload speed is up around 12 to 14Mb. Surely the upload speed would be slower if the line was not capable of a faster download speed, no?

One thing I notice is that on the stats page of the router the line is synching at 18Mb. Could it simply be a case of asking vodafone to change this to 50Mb and see what happens?

Based on the stats in the attachment do you think my download speed should be faster? What do I need to say to Vodafone when I contact them?

Thanks, Tonio.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

All Depends on Quality of the Copper coming from the Cab to your Property Is it Overhead or Underground Cabling?Is it Directly 400 to the Cab I had to get my Line Replaced a few Years ago as Telecom Eireann in there Wisdom Buried the Copper Directly in the ground with no Shielding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Vico1612

Downstream CRC rate look high

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 351 ✭✭Tonio

All Depends on Quality of the Copper coming from the Cab to your Property Is it Overhead or Underground Cabling?Is it Directly 400 to the Cab I had to get my Line Replaced a few Years ago as Telecom Eireann in there Wisdom Buried the Copper Directly in the ground with no Shielding.

It is a newish estate with dedicated cabinet for the estate. Copper lines are in the ground. Wouldn't the upload speed be alot lower if the quility of the line was an issue?

Any idea based on the stats if I should get a better speed? I don't know what those numbers mean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

The fact that upload speed is generally less than the download speed is because ISPs generally allocate less bandwidth to upload than download. Users predominately download more than they upload consequently for any given bandwidth the ISP can best utilise it by allocating more of it to download than upload.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

Tonio wrote: »
    Looking for some advice before contacting Vodafone. I had eFibre (VDSL) installed 2 weeks ago. I am only getting 18Mb download speed. I am 400m from the cabinet by road. I expected to get around 40Mb download speed. Even when ordering I was told by two separate Vodafone staff that their system showed I should get 40 to 50Mb download.

I wasn't at home personally during the install and had no opportunity to check the speed before the engineer (from KN) left the house.

Every speed test I have done shows the download speed maxing out at 18Mb. However the thing I don't understand is that the upload speed is up around 12 to 14Mb. Surely the upload speed would be slower if the line was not capable of a faster download speed, no?

One thing I notice is that on the stats page of the router the line is synching at 18Mb. Could it simply be a case of asking vodafone to change this to 50Mb and see what happens?

Based on the stats in the attachment do you think my download speed should be faster? What do I need to say to Vodafone when I contact them?

Thanks, Tonio.

call in to their tech support... based on the high crc errors your screenshot shows you have a noisy line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

The attenuation figure of 32dB is very high. You either are MUCH further from the cabinet than you estimate or there is a poor connection. Call tech support and get the line installation checked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Mesut Ozil

fat-tony wrote: »
    The attenuation figure of 32dB is very high. You either are MUCH further from the cabinet than you estimate or there is a poor connection. Call tech support and get the line installation checked.

Is there any websites that allow you to calculate your speed and distance from the line attention like the ones for ADSL?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,475 ✭✭✭✭Alun

fat-tony wrote: »
    I agree, that's way higher than you should get at 400m. The SNR figures aren't great either. Could be a bad connection on VF's side, or possibly bad internal wiring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Mesut Ozil wrote: »
    Is there any websites that allow you to calculate your speed and distance from the line attention like the ones for ADSL?

http://www.speedguide.net/dsl_speed_calc.php

Advertisement