Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cheap solution to cover garden

• 06-11-2013 11:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭

Hi everybody,
    I have a quite small garden that is partly destroyed by my dogs.
    Now there are small areas of grass and the rest is mud.

I tried to plant grass, enclose an area to let it grow, but I think there is no solution.

I am planning to "cover" the garden with a sort of decking or something.

I am renting the house (of course I will have the approval) so I am looking for a cheap solution.

I have been looking at the interlocking deck tiles, but not sure about what to do.

Any suggestion?

thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Could you post a photo and give the dimensions and your budget? Also who would do the work and do you/they have much DIY experience?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Reminds me of that old Gerry Daly radio show... when a called phoned in to ask "What's the best time of year to concrete a garden?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jsabina

This was the garden when there was the grass... before I moved in the house with the dog..
    roughly the area that I want to cover it would be 5x5m
    I don't want to cover exactly everything.

My DIY skills are very limited and no instruments.
    I will have a couple of friends helping me.

I know I should call a professional, but really I would like to see if there is a cheap solution.

Friends told me about the euro pallets, but I think that the poor dogs will have problems walking on it.

I was also thinking to the grass protector mesh, the one used in temporary car parks, so the grass could maybe grow, but not sure if it would solve the mud problem.

Thanks

sorry forgot the attachment

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Cowabunga

Wood chip/bark mulch? Not to thick a layer. Easy to spread and its free. Organic solution. You just need a wheelbarrow and a heavy rake.

• Advertisement

Cowabunga wrote: »
    Wood chip/bark mulch? Not to thick a layer. Easy to spread and its free. Organic solution. You just need a wheelbarrow and a heavy rake.

Thanks but I think it would not agree with my dog..
    also stones it's not a solution as he will bring them everywhere.

Some friends told me to use euro pallets?

(I know that I ask stupid questions, but I am newbie to be a garden owner in Ireland and as I am renting I don't have too much to put into this project)

thanks!

Advertisement