Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

phonewatch - old or new?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,717 ✭✭✭✭altor

danindub wrote: »
    I don't think they are dropping "PhoneWatch". Just "Eircom".

They would be crazy to drop the Phone watch name, this is more so what they bought. Cant see them installing to many camera systems in peoples home, commercial yes. If you have a phone line installed in the premises they will still use that with there systems, not the camera one as they need to send images over GPRS.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭danindub

altor wrote: »
    They would be crazy to drop the Phone watch name, this is more so what they bought. Cant see them installing to many camera systems in peoples home, commercial yes. If you have a phone line installed in the premises they will still use that with there systems, not the camera one as they need to send images over GPRS.

That's the thing - no, they no longer provide landline monitored system. It's all GSM now as on Nov 1st. And the motion detectors have cameras.

Now they are not video cameras - as I was explained, if the alarm is triggered, they are sending 5 photos to the monitoring centre.

That's the thing - no, they no longer provide landline monitored system. It's all GSM now as on Nov 1st. And the motion detectors have cameras.

Now they are not video cameras - as I was explained, if the alarm is triggered, they are sending 5 photos to the monitoring centre.

I would imagine that is the case with regards the camera having to be triggered to send the picture.

Cant see them being able to have access to dial in but have never used the system so don't know for sure.

Telling people there GSM polls is the biggest laugh I have heard.
    It polls once a day, that is a test call not a poll for the GSM :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Cutting phone line doesn't require any hardware, either...You pull the cable out and you can see the result.
    It still requires physical tampering. You have to physically access the cable.
    There are also company's who tamper the phone service box and the phonelines etc. There are many ways to protect the phone line. There is no way to protect against jamming.
    With jamming - it's still a game - you won't know for 100% if you jammed it ... especially if you don't know where the GSM device is...?
    Have you ever tested a GSM jammer?
    The range is greater than any house. Why would you need to know where the GSM is located?
    In every test I have been a part of they have jammed every phone on every network within range.
    Yes, from November 1st. What about systems installed prior to that? How will you be able to tell?
    We are talking about all their new systems being GSM only. Prior to that is hardly relevant.
    SpaceTime wrote: »
    I'd still argue GSM's probably safer than landline monitoring given that landlines are usually extremely insecure and can be very easily tampered with in most installations as they were never intended to be a security device.

Very, very few phone lines are totally out of view / hidden or inaccessible.

I know they can be hardened and disguised but, even then if someone's absolutely determined they'll be able to damage the line.

Same as my answer above.
    Lines need to be physically accessed & they can be protected in many ways, GSM can not.
    On the camera sensors thing, there's no way I would have remote monitored CCTV inside my home. It's one thing having your own cameras that you can view yourself, or take cards out of and view afterwards, but if it's going to some monitoring centre, that's just creepy!

I agree,anyone I have quoted on after PW on this said they did not realise this as it wasn't explained to them.
    Sorry , but IMO a central station having any sort of access to residential internal cameras is just not right.
    Thats , my whole argument. If you see a PW system installed tomorrow you know that system has a GSM installed & can be jammed.
    Makes no sense to me, to leave yourself so vulnerable.
    Whether its videos or stills does not make it acceptable IMO.
    I wouldn't even sit in a friends house if they had this system installed.
    Another point, as with CCTV regs, will home owners with this system installed have to put up notification warning people coming into the house they may be recorded in the event of an alarm activation?:rolleyes:

KoolKid wrote: »
    Sorry , but IMO a central station having any sort of access to residential internal cameras is just not right.

Are you saying P.W. can view these cameras outside of alarm activation's?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I don't have that information. But the connection is there, as with any transmission system the connection is there.
    Even with alarm activations , I wouldn't be happy.
    Suppose your mrs is prone to sleepwalking in a state of undress...;):rolleyes:

I would not like the idea of them installed in a domestic premises either, commercial would be different. I would not think they would be able to view the cameras. Could be wrong but If its like the Visonic PIR cameras then they only send 5 snap shots when they detect movement when the alarm is in alarm.

I have seen lots of equipment over the years with back doors, either to log in or initiate a call back.
    Just would not be comfortable with it at all.
    Imagine having friends around and a dirty camera lens pointing at them every room they go into .:eek:
    Anyway long may they keep it up. Its been great for my business.:D

I would not like it either but would need to see if it possible first.

I hope they keep it up too, being good for me too :D

I would not like it either but would need to see if it possible first.

Everything is possible with a camera & a data connection.

• Advertisement

KoolKid wrote: »

From P.Ws end that is :)
    Is anything private anymore :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Are the inertia sensors no longer available with these new systems or is that just one specific package?

Inertia sensors are the only aspect of our alarm that's ever actually worked to prevent a break in! Someone tried to break in but tampering with the window caused the alarm to go off.

Are the inertia sensors no longer available with these new systems or is that just one specific package?

Inertia sensors are the only aspect of our alarm that's ever actually worked to prevent a break in! Someone tried to break in but tampering with the window caused the alarm to go off.

Yes they have them listed for the new system.
    Perimeter protection is always going to be the best form of defense.

It is bound to happen, jammers will block the pictures being sent on the GPRS too. It really makes no sense from a security point of view to aim your sales towards installing GSMs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 drunkenbarney

2011 wrote: »
    I am sure you could get the new system with inertia shock sensors, however you can expect this "extra" to be reflected in the invoice.

Not sure if the honeywell system they are using now has inertia sensors as per most continental/US systems dont have them

Anyway long may they keep it up. Its been great for my business.:D[/quote]

Mine too.... :)

They dont want to know about maintaining older systems, they are trying to push older customers onto new system rather than replacing panels etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Not sure if the honeywell system they are using now has inertia sensors as per most continental/US systems dont have them

If it doesn't, it's not going to be very effective as a deterrent !

Yes the system they use has the shock sensors available.
    Here is a link.

Yes the system they use has the shock sensors available.
    Here is a link.

Very good, tks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement