Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Drinks

Options
  • 06-11-2013 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭

okay, so on Christmas Eve I want to have some people in - I want to do a large jug of some kind of christmas themed cocktail for people when they arrive - any suggestions for a christmas cocktail that will stay tasty while in a large jug with ice.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Any drink sitting in a large jug with ice is going to start to get watered down, you're better having a bowl of ice beside it with some tongs.

Simple recipe would be.

3 parts Cranberry Juice
    1 part Vodka
    1 Part Cointreau
    1 Part Soda Water (or lemonade)
    Juice of 1 lemon/lime
    0.5 parts sugar syrup

Then buy a load of different fruit and throw them in e.g. raspberries, blackcurrants, cherries, orange slices.

You could change the ingredients about too. Aldi do nice red grape juice that is good in cocktails, or use orange juice. Rum instead of vodka would work too.

If it's for when they arrive though a nice hot mulled wine/cider might go down better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

that sounds fabulous - thanks. Yes of course, you are right, keeping the jug IN an ice bucket is a lot better than putting ice in the drink. Thank you.

I did think about a hot cocktail but I think a cold one just like the one you suggest would be better. Its just a welcome drink - they are on their own after that. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭washiskin

I saw one in Harper's Bazzar about 15 years ago called "Winter Warmer" and as far as I remember it was Southern Comfort, Ginger Ale, Fresh Lime & Ice. It was gorgeous & I'm sure you could tweak it.

I posted one here a few years ago called "Heart Warmer"....hold on I'll get me book....

200ml Red Grape Juice
    225g Brown Sugar
    350ml Dark Rum
    1.5Litres Dry White Wine
    450ml Red Wine

Heat the juice & sugar until the latter is dissolved, stir in the rum & set aside.
    Heat the wines in a saucepan until hot but not boiling, add the rum & juice mixture, stir together & serve hot. I usually fire in 2 mandarin halves studded with cloves for the aroma.
    It serves 12 & has quite a kick. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Glitter

My current favourite for a winter jug cocktail is called a 'Dark & Stormy'

(Makes approx 1 litre jug)
    4-5 parts dark rum
    Juice of one lime
    Ginger ale
    Ice
    Lime wedges to garnish

Super easy and the ginger gives it a lovely wintery warmth.

Traditionally made with ginger beer I think but I prefer the ginger ale.

washiskin wrote: »
    I saw one in Harper's Bazzar about 15 years ago called "Winter Warmer" and as far as I remember it was Southern Comfort, Ginger Ale, Fresh Lime & Ice. It was gorgeous & I'm sure you could tweak it.

I posted one here a few years ago called "Heart Warmer"....hold on I'll get me book....

200ml Red Grape Juice
    225g Brown Sugar
    350ml Dark Rum
    1.5Litres Dry White Wine
    450ml Red Wine

Heat the juice & sugar until the latter is dissolved, stir in the rum & set aside.
    Heat the wines in a saucepan until hot but not boiling, add the rum & juice mixture, stir together & serve hot. I usually fire in 2 mandarin halves studded with cloves for the aroma.
    It serves 12 & has quite a kick. :cool:

it sure would have a kick - sounds lovely tho - thank you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I'd highly recommend reusable ice cubes for things like this. They don't water drinks down and they're less messy than having to have loads if ice and an extra bowl to sit a jug in. I have them for my whiskey (I hate watered down scotch!!!) and they work a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭washiskin

I'd highly recommend reusable ice cubes for things like this. They don't water drinks down and they're less messy than having to have loads if ice and an extra bowl to sit a jug in. I have them for my whiskey (I hate watered down scotch!!!) and they work a treat.

Or you could try (as recommended by my c-l-s-i-l) Frozen Grapes :) Don't water down the libation AND doubles as a little treat at the end of the glass :D

thanks guys - great ideas for keeping it cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Glitter wrote: »
    My current favourite for a winter jug cocktail is called a 'Dark & Stormy'

(Makes approx 1 litre jug)
    4-5 parts dark rum
    Juice of one lime
    Ginger ale
    Ice
    Lime wedges to garnish

Super easy and the ginger gives it a lovely wintery warmth.

Traditionally made with ginger beer I think but I prefer the ginger ale.

I prefer it with Ginger Beer. :D I also splash in a little angostura bitters.

Could get Winter Pimms for cocktails?

Advertisement