Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a 3G/4G modem ?

• 06-11-2013 12:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭

Hi

Live in Laois (near Rathdowney). Digiweb wrote to us giving us 30-days notice of terminating of service (old radio style internet, glorified 3G as I called it). Can't get DSL as line is not good enough. No way are we taking Satellite as it would be useless for work (VPN, SSH, VNC) and monthly cost could not be justified.

Our only option is a 3G modem which I got a lend of one last night (on Three network). Got the following (speedtest.net):

Downstairs: 80 on ping, 2 DL, 1.5UL
    Upstairs: 56 on ping, 5 DL, 2.5 UL.

I know it can vary...as my mate told me. The modem I used was one from Three, E586,

Anyhow, am thinking of getting a modem, but off Amazon or such like, unlocked. I would prefer to get a 3G/4G modem...trying to think ahead as to when 4G will come to the area, or if we go to somewhere for the weekend which has 4G.

Can somebody recommend a 3G/4G modem ?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

Hi, I used the Huawei E5220 when i was with Meteor,i bough it unbranded and unlocked, It's 3g/4g enabled. With Meteors mifi i was only getting 2-2.5mb down and ping of 80-100.

With the E5220 i was getting speeds from 4-5.5 mb down and pings of 60-80. Makes you wonder how much of a restriction these supposed ISP's have on their devices.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭laoisfan

Cheers for that bud! Will definitely look into the E5220.

hallo dare wrote: »
    Hi, I used the Huawei E5220 when i was with Meteor,i bough it unbranded and unlocked, It's 3g/4g enabled. With Meteors mifi i was only getting 2-2.5mb down and ping of 80-100.

With the E5220 i was getting speeds from 4-5.5 mb down and pings of 60-80. Makes you wonder how much of a restriction these supposed ISP's have on their devices.

Hope this helps.

Another question. Do you have to plug this into a PC or Laptop in order to use?

I was hoping to have this standalone (plugged in).

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

completely stand alone. just keep it plugged in to keep it charged, i had it upstairs at the window for best reception as i can see the meteor mast from there.

hallo dare wrote: »
    completely stand alone. just keep it plugged in to keep it charged, i had it upstairs at the window for best reception as i can see the meteor mast from there.

Kewl. That's exactly what I'll be doing, tested a few so far and upstairs gets the best coverage.

Cheers!

• Advertisement
Advertisement