Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

feeding lambs problem

• 06-11-2013 1:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭

Was feeding lambs about 1kg/1.20kg x head for 6/7 weeks..all going well, lambs fattening nice and finishing as quick as expected, no problem..got rid of a batch this week and gave the rest the same amount as they were getting before x head(1/1.20),now since that batch gone the rest seem to leave a good bit of food in the troughs, they come and eat alright but they eat a bit a walk off..not sure if i should give them less (which will impact in performance) or stop feeding for a couple of days and start building it up again (which will impact in performance too) or keep going at the same rate but the food left in the troughs get wasted which is not great either...plus the ones that dont walk off and keep eating end up gorging themselves...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

eorna wrote: »
    Was feeding lambs about 1kg/1.20kg x head for 6/7 weeks..all going well, lambs fattening nice and finishing as quick as expected, no problem..got rid of a batch this week and gave the rest the same amount as they were getting before x head(1/1.20),now since that batch gone the rest seem to leave a good bit of food in the troughs, they come and eat alright but they eat a bit a walk off..not sure if i should give them less (which will impact in performance) or stop feeding for a couple of days and start building it up again (which will impact in performance too) or keep going at the same rate but the food left in the troughs get wasted which is not great either...plus the ones that dont walk off and keep eating end up gorging themselves...
    Some greedy lambs eat more than others and get fit quicker, so these are probably sold now and the ones that are left are just eating what they always eat.
    My lambs are eating 1kg/1.20kg out of a creep feeder but it's taking them 24hrs to eat that much, are you dividing it into two feeds for them? be careful not to sicken them as some times it's very hard to get them back eating meal.
    No point in wasting meal, drop it 25% and see what happens and try to build it up again is what I would do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭eorna

thanks rancher, feeding them twice a day..yeah i'll scale it down a bit and see how we get on..

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭tommy5678

how long would it take to get 25kg lambs ready for factory on 1.2kg a day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭razor8

tommy5678 wrote: »
    how long would it take to get 25kg lambs ready for factory on 1.2kg a day.

wouldnt be sure but i guess the cost of doing that would not add up, better let the lambs grow a frame for a while first. a lamb that weight would just end up fat around 30-35kg and stall IMO

Advertisement