Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford during Winterval

Options
  • 06-11-2013 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭

Planning on heading to waterford for winterval. Do people have any recommendations for where to stay. was considering traceys as they have pool/etc.

We have a young baby too?

Is winterval worth it??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 blondie990

You'd probably be better off posting this in the Waterford City forum, you'll probably get a better response there from people who are from Waterford or were there when Winterval was on last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭cuculainn

Thanks Blondie,

Dont know how to move. Can a mod do this

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

cuculainn wrote: »
    Thanks Blondie,

Dont know how to move. Can a mod do this

Thanks

Thread moved from our Travel forum to the Waterford City forum at request of cuculainn :)

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

First things first. Definitely get to Waterford for Winterval. Last year was the first year of Winterval and it was a great success, lots of things to do and see and a lot of it is free too. Going into its second year it can only get better. The full list of events is on the website http://www.winterval.ie/

I'd definitely recommend though

- The Christmas market, sprawls around the place and a lot of good gift ideas and lots of lovely food to be had. Take your time going around, chat to the stall owners and get into some haggling
    - The light show, this is free and ran every hour in the evenings last year, really good and right in the middle of the market
    - The Toy Museum, probably even more enjoyable for us adults although the kids love it too
    - Visit Santa, if you have kids this is a must. Its in the Medieval Museum and the place is transformed, the kids will love it and well worth the €15 entry fee (€12 on week days) - Do book this, it gets busy
    - The Winterval train and this year the Horse Drawn Sleigh are well worth the €5 fee
    - Take the kids to drop off their letters to Santa at the giant postbox
    - Slug a hot chocolate or Guhlwein watching 'Its a Wonderful Life' at the Winterval cinema in the Reg bar, free entry
    - Take the kids to the animal farm, also free entry
    - The Carosel in the centre of the square is a great hit
    - Finally, make sure to make a show of yourself at the ice skating

Not sure of the prices, but I'd recommend the Tower Hotel, Granville or Dooleys above Tracy's however all 4 are very central and will serve you well

Fingers crossed its dry (some snow would be fine :)) as the weather helps make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭decies

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Plus 1 on above great midweek deals being offered by all local hotel's this year, also try Tower Hotel and Marina hotel both fairly central as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭cuculainn

KevIRL wrote: »
    First things first. Definitely get to Waterford for Winterval. Last year was the first year of Winterval and it was a great success, lots of things to do and see and a lot of it is free too. Going into its second year it can only get better. The full list of events is on the website http://www.winterval.ie/

I'd definitely recommend though

- The Christmas market, sprawls around the place and a lot of good gift ideas and lots of lovely food to be had. Take your time going around, chat to the stall owners and get into some haggling
    - The light show, this is free and ran every hour in the evenings last year, really good and right in the middle of the market
    - The Toy Museum, probably even more enjoyable for us adults although the kids love it too
    - Visit Santa, if you have kids this is a must. Its in the Medieval Museum and the place is transformed, the kids will love it and well worth the €15 entry fee (€12 on week days) - Do book this, it gets busy
    - The Winterval train and this year the Horse Drawn Sleigh are well worth the €5 fee
    - Take the kids to drop off their letters to Santa at the giant postbox
    - Slug a hot chocolate or Guhlwein watching 'Its a Wonderful Life' at the Winterval cinema in the Reg bar, free entry
    - Take the kids to the animal farm, also free entry
    - The Carosel in the centre of the square is a great hit
    - Finally, make sure to make a show of yourself at the ice skating

Not sure of the prices, but I'd recommend the Tower Hotel, Granville or Dooleys above Tracy's however all 4 are very central and will serve you well

Fingers crossed its dry (some snow would be fine :)) as the weather helps make it.

Thanks for the detailed reply.......It does sound excellent......Its confirmed we are going!!

Some snow would be great alright.

We were leaning towards traceys or tower cause they have leisure facilities and slightly more towards traceys (if the new wing is all its cracked up to be)

But in fairness we just want somewhere central so we can dump the car and wander so as long as its clean and relatively quiet we will be happy out.
    wellboytoo wrote: »
    Plus 1 on above great midweek deals being offered by all local hotel's this year, also try Tower Hotel and Marina hotel both fairly central as well.

There are great deals alright......some are too good to be true (nearly!)

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭LiamD1977

Something the kids would love as well is the Suir Valley Railway,

http://www.wsvrailway.ie/

Its just 5 minutes outside the city and they usually do Christmas specials.

Worth checking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

cuculainn wrote: »
    Planning on heading to waterford for winterval. Do people have any recommendations for where to stay. was considering traceys as they have pool/etc.

We have a young baby too?

Is winterval worth it??

one thing, you may have to book visit to santa or a couple of things you really want to do with kids. It was busy last year to see the man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

I agree with Baby4, in my opinion the tower would be nicer and more family friendly

• Registered Users Posts: 20 enabler

the Granville is a lovely homely hotel in the heart of everything

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭tramoreman77

Baby4 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    do not go near treacys esp if you have a family ,the tower is brilliant place and very family orienated

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭LiamD1977

Apparently Santa is nearly fully booked. The other half booked us in for the two kids. Not many spots left.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭tramoreman77

LiamD1977 wrote: »
    Apparently Santa is nearly fully booked. The other half booked us in for the two kids. Not many spots left.
    ohh ring anywhere but don't stay there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

we really enjoyed winterval last year, great buzz around and loads to do. I recommend the Tower hotel too, lovely hotel and closer to everything, much nicer area!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

there will be a lot around this year, hopefully cathedral square will be ready by then it has been closed since the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Loved Wintersville last year, the farm was the best attraction in my opinion, so different for the middle of town and the workers there were so kind to the animals.

Loved the gingerbread making, my kids were a bit small for it but the guy running it had great patience.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭HuntingDrog

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Loved Wintersville last year, the farm was the best attraction in my opinion, so different for the middle of town and the workers there were so kind to the animals.

Loved the gingerbread making, my kids were a bit small for it but the guy running it had great patience.

Hi, is the gingerbread making on again this year? I don't see it stand out on the website.....tks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I know Polish Christmas is in a different building but I dont know where, thats where the gingerbread thing was, we have been practicing all year!!

Found it:

http://www.winterval.ie/events/swity_mikolaj_village_a_polish_christmas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Gavlor

I was in around town with gavlor jnr today and I have to say that what I saw of winterval was absolutely top class. It's a credit to the organisers and I'm delighted that they've made more use of the Viking museum building this year.

Lets try keep this winterval thread popping up regularly on boards and I'd encourage non blaa's to bring the family down for a great day out for young and old. Great variety around the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭webpal

Anyone know if a stamp is needed for santas postbox or if he'll send a reply?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Was in Waterford today and while this has been said before, I felt it needed to be said again because there is a tendency to jump on negativity and not positivity. But I was absolutely thrilled to see Waterford absolutely hopping today! The crowds were absolutely fantastic, everybody seemed in great form and the buzz was just unbelievable. Fair play to all those behind this fantastic festival for Waterford. I just hope that those who come and spend time around the city will pop into local retailers and buy for them, every little bit helps and with more money in the local economy the stronger our great city will become! Up The Deise!

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭jennygirl

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=580543055346331&set=a.473943766006261.1073741828.473924096008228&type=1&theater[/IMG]

love this idea -
    and the City Voucher Scheme .
    Vouchers for most shops in the city can be bought in the Book Centre
    ideal Gift!

nice on jenny, will be buying local vouchers for presents this year.

• Administrators Posts: 14,023 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

I'd definitely recommend The Tower above Treacy's. It has a pool, and will be a 2 minute walk from the main Winterville village. Also there is free parking directly at the back of Tower Hotel for hotel guests, whereas you'll have a (small) walk from the free car park to the hotel if you go with Treacy's.

Go along to the singing Christmas tree on Saturday 14th @ 3pm.. I know a few kids taking part ;)

winterval today = awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Was around Cathedral Square last night, it was quiet enough, but we were there a bit late. Caught the light show which was great, definitely recommended

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

Can anyone tell me (without going on a rant) have a bunch of Roma rented the first cabin as you walk out of city square towards St Olafs Hall.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

jayboi wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me (without going on a rant) have a bunch of Roma rented the first cabin as you walk out of city square towards St Olafs Hall.

TURKISH!

Also right next to them is a cabin selling pizza blaas. Well worth a try lads!

Advertisement