Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nappies - HELP!!

Options
  • 06-11-2013 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

Hi, I need advice. I have a toddler who's 19mths and weight about 29lbs. I cannot for the life of me get a nappy for him that keeps him dry at night time.
    Im going to go mad, Every morning, he is soaked and the blankets are soaked also....I have tried him in tesco nappy, lidl pull ups, going try boots own brand tonight on him.
    My norm nappy is pampers baby dry and they don't work either!
    Can anybody tell me if they have experienced this or what did you do or find that worked....

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Have you tried different sizes?

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

Would you believe i had this problem for ages, he was only maybe less than 6 months at the time though, and i discovered i wasn't actually putting the nappy on snug enough and checking around legs that the elastic was pulled out correctly. I have always used pampers, baby dry/ active fit, but it was definetly the way i was putting the nappy on and the fact he twisted and turned so much at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭zsha

Yeah Ive tried 5 5+ and 6..... Yeah I think that the fact that he moves around so much at night time is part of it. Will make sure to double check the legs and stretch it out etc....
    The other night he would of got bottle at 9pm and fresh nappy on just before it, when I got in from work and checked him at 1am he was wet through, had change everything, incl sheets etc.
    Then when he wakened just before 9am he was soaked again the exact same!!!
    I just don't know whats going on....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Would you consider cloth nappies? Just for night time?

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭V1llianous

Have you checked everything is pointing down when the nappy is secured ?

We had this with one of our boys - if he wasn't pointing down a good stream would come out the top.

• Advertisement

Never thought of cloth nappies, what is involved with them, or which brand is the best?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

zsha wrote: »
    Yeah Ive tried 5 5+ and 6..... Yeah I think that the fact that he moves around so much at night time is part of it. Will make sure to double check the legs and stretch it out etc....
    The other night he would of got bottle at 9pm and fresh nappy on just before it, when I got in from work and checked him at 1am he was wet through, had change everything, incl sheets etc.
    Then when he wakened just before 9am he was soaked again the exact same!!!
    I just don't know whats going on....

is the nappy full full when he's wet through? if not try adjusting the way that you close it. I used to put them on too tightly which caused leaks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

I'm not a cloth expert - I use cloth but my Boy is only 4.5 months so I've no experience with older babies in them. There's lots of different types (like pocket nappies or all in ones)

I just find that the night nappies we use (they're called tots bots bamboozles and are a two part system, a stretchy cloth nappy with Velcro and an outer waterproof wrap with popper buttons) are a lot better at containing night time wee/poo than disposables.

There's a cloth nappy Facebook group and the ladies there are very helpful if you wanted to ask about it.

O super thanks might look at that facebook group

Yeah the nappy is wet through! One of the morns when he got up he was dry I couldn't believe it, I was in the en suite with him and told him to come on and we'll change his nappy. He started to groan as I went out and when I went back in he was standing in a puddle of wee. He went to the toilet in the pull up and it completely just went straight through! Couldn't believe it....

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Maybe weaning him off the 9pm bottle would help at night time?
    We have not had a problem with leaking nappies since the 1st child when we used newborn pampers.
    We use Boots nappies mostly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Hi, I need advice. I have a toddler who's 19mths and weight about 29lbs. I cannot for the life of me get a nappy for him that keeps him dry at night time.
    Im going to go mad, Every morning, he is soaked and the blankets are soaked also....I have tried him in tesco nappy, lidl pull ups, going try boots own brand tonight on him.
    My norm nappy is pampers baby dry and they don't work either!
    Can anybody tell me if they have experienced this or what did you do or find that worked....

Hi there, are you sure the nappies you are using aren't too big? My fella is 1 year old next week and at 26lbs he's only wearing the size 4+ pampers baby dry. He went up from the 4 to the 4+ about a month or 2 ago. Hes a big boy for a Year old and very tall. Only 3lbs less than your fella. I've just checked the 4+ size there and they say to be used for babies 20-44lbs.

Perhaps have a try of the smaller size. I found when we initially tried the 4+ before he was big enough he was wetting through at night as they were slightly too big. So we dropped a size back again and had no problems. But he fits the 4+ now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

the problem still isnt clear. Is the nappy really really really heavy (i.e soaked to capacity) or is the little fella somehow peeing around the seals.

We had that problem of our wee fella managing to pee out of the nappy at night, but by making sure he was "facing down" and checking that the flaps on the legs were properly out and the waist properly adjusted we havent had a problem in the past year.
    Hes now 2 and a half and on size 5s this past ages. And its our second child so we have a fair bit of practice at this stage at how to put on nappies right.

Only the odd time he'd have an insanely wet nappy which is wet through, but he's long off the bottle at this stage which may explain part of it too. And even a fully wet through nappy which is so heavy its falling off a child still wouldnt result in a soaked bed or clothes.

So actually, from looking at the original post maybe you really are using too large a nappy.
    Our lad is 15kg or 33 pounds and a size 5 is more than adequate when fitted right and is fairly snug but defintely not tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭DM addict

I'd agree with other posters that a smaller size might work better, and check the fit. If the nappy is soaked to capacity and it's wetting the sheets, it might be worth calling the PHN just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭holding

Never thought of cloth nappies, what is involved with them, or which brand is the best?

I highly recommend filling out the questionnaire on the Nappy Lady website - http://www.thenappylady.co.uk/submittaq.html - it's free and she gets back to you in a day or so. She stocks all brands and it basically means that she does the shopping for you. She gets back to you with a low-price, mid-price, and high-price option, and there's no obligation to buy from her after that. I did this when we were starting down the cloth nappy road as I just didn't have the time or patience to research all the brands and types online.

EDIT to add: that said, I've tried loads of brands now, and the one I found amazing is the 'Teddy' (http://www.thenappylady.co.uk/shaped-sized-nappies/teddy-nappies-length-altering-version.html) nappy together with the Motherease wrap (http://www.thenappylady.co.uk/nappy-wraps/motherease-rikki-wraps.html).

Thanks all so much, you're all very good. Yeah the nappy is really heavy and seems full come the morning....But that is interesting in the dropping a nappy size, Id never have thought of that....I just kept going up a size! Yeah I might try that also. Thanks very much everybody

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

I'll second the dropping the bottle suggestion - no more fluids before bedtime (but obviously plenty during the day), maybe that'll help.

We switched to the Aldi nappies, and love them (since you can't get Huggies anymore, and pampers were always leaking...)

Thanks everybody, we put the boots own brand onto our son the other night and he was dry the next morn. Def might try wean him off that bottle....Where to start!
    Thanks everybody

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I'm down to a two Oz bottle with my 3 year old at bed time, it took months and we've agreed she will give her bottle to Santa and he will give her a present.

Only problem is I brought her to smiths toys and spent an hour looking for a gift, she didn't want to bring anything home.

Advertisement