Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The UTV Ireland Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

I don't see how it would be especially since they are now showing a programme dedicated to British issues, particularly in England, which are of little interest to folks here. Why would people here care about Ed Miliband or the NHS?

I don't know about recent years, but at its most popular GMTV got almost as many viewers in Ireland as TV3's Breakfast programme did. A lot of people in Ireland like British Television

UTV Ireland are showing Good Morning Britain because people asked for it and it costs them little or nothing to broadcast it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Skid X wrote: »
    I don't know about recent years, but at its most popular GMTV got almost as many viewers in Ireland as TV3's Breakfast programme did. A lot of people in Ireland like British Television

UTV Ireland are showing Good Morning Britain because people asked for it and it costs them little or nothing to broadcast it.

When there are no good alternatives that's not surprising.

Take RTE news. It gets more viewers than the British stations which is to be expected as it is relevant to Irish people's lives.

Of course British TV is popular, but when we're talking about a programme dedicated primarily towards local news stories and a few bits on Gwyneth Paltrow etc, then there's no reason why an Irish programme in the same slot can't do this.

Sad to say but this is just another example of the small mindset of the Irish. You would not see the British turn towards an American breakfast programme for its morning output. It happens here because it's an easy, lazy option as you touched upon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Sad to say but this is just another example of the small mindset of the Irish.

Good grief. I would suggest the over reaction to nothing could be an example too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Of course British TV is popular, but when we're talking about a programme dedicated primarily towards local news stories and a few bits on Gwyneth Paltrow etc, then there's no reason why an Irish programme in the same slot can't do this.

RTE with the benefit of the licence fee and advertising are not willing to run a breakfast programme,instead they show Teleshopping.

Its a bit rich to be giving a commercial operation a hard time when the publicly funded RTE provide no breakfast programming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

RTE tried it already with Morning Edition. It went out at 9AM which was a little late. Unsurprisingly it failed to attract viewers as it's target audience had left for work. A pity because it was a good alternative to the fashion / cookery slots on TV3 at the same time.
    Brainless.

• Advertisement

Sad to say but this is just another example of the small mindset of the Irish. You would not see the British turn towards an American breakfast programme for its morning output. It happens here because it's an easy, lazy option as you touched upon.

You seem to have an issue with Irish people who want to watch Good Morning Britain rather than with UTV Ireland. And people all over the World watch programmes made for other countries - do you criticise the 'mindset' of Irish people who download American programmes instead of watching Irish Television?

There is no point in UTV Ireland ploughing money into a new breakfast programme which would attract only a handful of viewers away from Ireland AM. They have chosen to simulcast GMB instead of Teleshopping and Jeremy Kyle repeats, in response to appeals from viewers. I don't see anything wrong with that

lertsnim wrote: »
    Good grief. I would suggest the over reaction to nothing could be an example too

There's no overreaction. When you trump to the nation that you're going to be an exciting alternative and even add in the word 'Ireland' to the name of the station, and when you go to the effort of producing a domestic evening news programme as an alternative to the British versions, and then after all that...you can't be arsed to do so for the morning version and instead import the British version, I think criticism that this is the easy, lazy route is fair and reasonable in the circumstances.
    Infoanon wrote:
    RTE with the benefit of the licence fee and advertising are not willing to run a breakfast programme,instead they show Teleshopping.

Its a bit rich to be giving a commercial operation a hard time when the publicly funded RTE provide no breakfast programming.

Am I only allowed criticise stations that are funded by the license fee? This is the UTV Ireland thread.

And this programme btw according to the Irish Independent averaged just 2,700 viewers and a 2.37 % audience share.

Yeah, massive demand for it. The show has been a flop across the water so why would it be a hit here when it doesn't even deal with issues that affect us?

I would say criticism is well justified.

You seem to have an issue with Irish people who want to watch Good Morning Britain rather than with UTV Ireland. And people all over the World watch programmes made for other countries - do you criticise the 'mindset' of Irish people who download American programmes instead of watching Irish Television?

There is no point in UTV Ireland ploughing money into a new breakfast programme which would attract only a handful of viewers away from Ireland AM. They have chosen to simulcast GMB instead of Teleshopping and Jeremy Kyle repeats, in response to appeals from viewers. I don't see anything wrong with that

No, I have an issue with Irish people being saddled with a flop of a programme that doesn't affect us remotely when an alternative would have been to try something original and different and see if it worked.

IHave you seen the ratings for this show?

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Jimmy Bottles

Absolutely sick as a parrot with UTV Ireland. As a UPC Customer, I never asked for not wanted this channel. This must also go for 90 percent of UPC customers.

My only hope is that UTV make such a loss in this due to bad ratings that the Station will die. UPC don't seem to care.

Seriously contemplating going with freesat at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

RTE tried it already with Morning Edition. It went out at 9AM which was a little late. Unsurprisingly it failed to attract viewers as it's target audience had left for work. A pity because it was a good alternative to the fashion / cookery slots on TV3 at the same time.
    Brainless.

Didn't help that RTE seemingly didn't want it to clash with Morning Ireland (and seemingly didn't care that the BBC have been more than happy to make a breakfast TV programme for airing on their first channel, at the same time as Radio 4's Today programme, for over 30 years). :rolleyes:

Nor do I.

Yes, GMB's viewing figures have been poor since it started, and yes, it is inferior to BBC Breakfast. (That said, the tabloids haven't helped by giving it more or less the same treatment they gave Daybreak... :rolleyes:)

But that doesn't mean that UTV Ireland are doing the wrong thing by simulcasting it.

And if it doesn't work out, well, it doesn't work out and they can always go back to teleshopping. ;)

• Advertisement

Absolutely sick as a parrot with UTV Ireland. As a UPC Customer, I never asked for not wanted this channel. This must also go for 90 percent of UPC customers.

My only hope is that UTV make such a loss in this due to bad ratings that the Station will die. UPC don't seem to care.

Seriously contemplating going with freesat at this stage.

UTV NI is gone and I don't think it will be so easy for them to appear on UPC again as rights holder (TV3) will go to court if necessary.

I'd recommend Freesat for everyone regardless of UPC customer or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Jimmy Bottles

UTV NI is gone and I don't think it will be so easy for them to appear on UPC again as rights holder (TV3) will go to court if necessary.

I'd recommend Freesat for everyone regardless of UPC customer or not.

In the search for ratings, UTV may have scored the ultimate own goal. Imagine if they have to close the Station and then cannot get UTV NI back on cable.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Didn't help that RTE seemingly didn't want it to clash with Morning Ireland (and seemingly didn't care that the BBC have been more than happy to make a breakfast TV programme for airing on their first channel, at the same time as Radio 4's Today programme, for over 30 years.

They are mad afraid to cannibalise Morning Ireland's massive listenership. That cannot be emphasised enough. Morning Edition was the right programme in the wrong timeslot, a breakfast news programme masquerading as a mid morning show. I just don't think there's enough viewers out there for more than one Irish breakfast show. Even in the UK there are only really two -BBC Breakfast and GMB - three if you count Sky News Sunrise.

icdg wrote: »
    They are mad afraid to cannibalise Morning Ireland's massive listenership. That cannot be emphasised enough. Morning Edition was the right programme in the wrong timeslot, a breakfast news programme masquerading as a mid morning show. I just don't think there's enough viewers out there for more than one Irish breakfast show. Even in the UK there are only really two -BBC Breakfast and GMB - three if you count Sky News Sunrise.

Agreed. Morning Edition was almost perfect. Keelin Shanley did an excellent job hosting the show. It should have gone out at 7 AM or at least 8 AM. Morning Ireland would have lost a few listeners but TV3 would have been gutted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,310 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Big tests coming up for UTV Ireland as sport returns to ITV. I know TV3 has same champions leagues rights as ITV but there'll still be people annoyed by lack of choice

Then on Feb 28th Carl Frampton defends his world title fight on ITV. He has a bigger following in Ireland than UK so will be interesting to see if UTV Ireland show it

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

The Champions League situation is less bad as all the games for the remainder of the season will be on TV3/RTE or Setanta Ireland. And ITV finish up with live Champions League at the end of the season.

Where people might be more annoyed is England games, which have no Irish rights holder now. Thanks to UEFAs new "Week of Football" concept Irish viewers can enjoy the European Qualifiers of every nation on the continent - except England. (And yes they do get viewers here. Do not underestimate the willingness of football fans to watch football - any football - regardless of who is involved and particularly when the major domestic leagues are on a break).

Dodge wrote: »
    Big tests coming up for UTV Ireland as sport returns to ITV. I know TV3 has same champions leagues rights as ITV but there'll still be people annoyed by lack of choice

Cable viewers always had more choice with Setanta Ireland available on the basic tier.

Roy Keane is returning to ITV's Champions League coverage. I think a lot of people will be peeved they won't get to hear him. He's probably the only interesting pundit out there.

Roy Keane is returning to ITV's Champions League coverage. I think a lot of people will be peeved they won't get to hear him. He's probably the only interesting pundit out there.

<PEDANT>

He'll have to make do with highlights shows from next season, though.

</PEDANT>

:o:o;)

Cable viewers always had more choice with Setanta Ireland available on the basic tier.

Choice of commentators. I don't know a single person who'd pick TV3 over ITV for commentary. It will be an issue for some

• Advertisement

It's only 3 months or so anyway before ITV lose all live games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Choice of commentators. I don't know a single person who'd pick TV3 over ITV for commentary. It will be an issue for some

And with the brutal web stream quality picture compared to UTV/ITV HD you would need to be insane given the choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

they are not showing the cricket world cup highlights on Saturday. No word either on the fight other than they note that people want to see it but the rights have not been confirmed yet.

they are not showing the cricket world cup highlights on Saturday. No word either on the fight other than they note that people want to see it but the rights have not been confirmed yet.

They must have done a late deal, highlights of Ireland v West Indies are on tonight at 11pm (One Hour long)

https://twitter.com/Irelandcricket/status/567298713958486017

They announced last week. Ireland highlights only

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭MojoRisinnnn

Is there any way that you can access ITV in ireland through any platform or device? TV3 have without doubt the worst coverage known to man and it's not even in HD for ****s sake. I do realise how much of a whiny first world problem having bitch this makes me sound.

Is there any way that you can access ITV in ireland through any platform or device? TV3 have without doubt the worst coverage known to man and it's not even in HD for ****s sake. I do realise how much of a whiny first world problem having bitch this makes me sound.

Through Sky in the 'Other Channels' feature or if you live near the NI border you might be able to pick up UK freeview through a set top box.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭MojoRisinnnn

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Through Sky in the 'Other Channels' feature or if you live near the NI border you might be able to pick up UK freeview through a set top box.

I don't have Sky on TV but I use a Sky ID on the iPad I use to watch Sky Sports, would this allow me to access ITV? Currently in work and cannot check. I never realised what an alimighty pain in the arse that UTV ireland has caused

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

That weather presenter is one fine looking woman.

• Advertisement

I don't have Sky on TV but I use a Sky ID on the iPad I use to watch Sky Sports, would this allow me to access ITV?

No but the filmontv app will. Also any satellite receiver will recive ITV via satellite so long as there is a dish pointing at the right satellite. It doesn't have to be a Sky box (which are rubbish if you wish to watch the free channels)

Next big sporting test for UPC/UTV is the Rugby World Cup.

TV3 has the Irish rights and they have a very poor reputation with rugby fans. They are promising a HD channel in time for the games though

http://balls.ie/rugby/236337-tv3-world-cup-lineup/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

TV3 has the Irish rights and they have a very poor reputation with rugby fans. They are promising a HD channel in time for the games though

Ah jaysus more retuning tvs for me, I have to do all the parents tvs and the various cousins and all our neighbours every time I go down home these days it seems like.

TV3's coverage of the 2007 RWC... comparing it to the 1989 Brit Awards would actually be justifiable. :o;)

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/02/20/brit-awards-sam-fox-mick-fleetwood-presenters-1989_n_1289051.html

fox-fleetwood-gal-brits.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

Matt Cooper and Sinead Kissane will be joined on the presentation team by former Munster and Ireland star Liam Toland, Conor McNamara from the BBC and the 42’s Murray Kinsella. TV3 have also announced that the TV3 HD channel will be launched in time for the event.

Well that's a great start anyway. Hope that's a balls.ie line and not an official release by TV3

Well that's a great start anyway. Hope that's a balls.ie line and not an official release by TV3

Official now anyway

http://www.tv3.ie/rwc2015_article/12/TV3-confirms-exclusive-Rugby-World-Cup-coverage

EDIT: oh you mean the "former Munster and Ireland star" line. Sorry, took that up wrong initially. TV3 don't have that on their website anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,723 ✭✭✭serfboard

That link says:
    TV3 wrote:
    TV3 has also confirmed TV3HD will arrive in August on both Sky and UPC in time for the Rugby World Cup
    Anyone know whether it will be on SaorView as well?

serfboard wrote: »
    That link says:

Anyone know whether it will be on SaorView as well?

I doubt it highly.

DCI Banks will be available to download from the usual sources after 10 PM tonight.
    The Johnathan Woss repeat that is airing for Paddy viewers isn't worth watching. Remember the less people view this "channel", the less advertisers, therefore the more imminent it's welcome demise.
    Even TV3 has started airing The Chase repeats against the RTE lunchtime news. It's catching on. This thing can be burnt at birth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭iseegirls

I take it you won't be watching their 90 minute programme tomorrow night called 'The Nations Favourite 70's Number 1'. Description is "We reveal the results of an exclusive ITV poll to find out which 70s number one Britain loves the most."

Could they not have changed the title to the UK's Favourite 70's Number 1 instead?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭satguy

It's an awful mess, the whole thing,, UTV Ireland is a mess,, But the whole situation is a bigger mess,, SKY, UPC, Saorview,, Stuff we had for years is taken away,, but it's still there, it's just taken from our menus. At least the old UTV was from Ulster, that is/was still Ireland. Sure it had shows called, ... Lesser Spotted Ulster, it even had Julian, we liked him.

Now we have GMB forced on us, wall to wall Jeremy Kyle, I could go on, but it has all been said in the thread by other posters, UTV Ireland must be the worst channel I have ever watched, it makes DAVE look good. But it does go to show how bad TV3 is,, if it takes a channel as bad as UTVI to force it to move to HD broadcasting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,723 ✭✭✭serfboard

As a non-cable, non-satellite Saorview viewer, it was handy to have UTVI for watching Ireland in th'oul cricket against South Africa the other night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Prime time for UTV Ireland on Saturday night was The Chase where one of the questions was about Peaches Geldofs new TV show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

Cazale wrote: »
    Prime time for UTV Ireland on Saturday night was The Chase where one of the questions was about Peaches Geldofs new TV show.

Channel 4 planning on digging her up and reburying her a la Richard III?

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Dub.

So, they`ve cancelled two episodes of Coronation st tonight because of the England international match...which they aren`t showing.

Joke of a channel.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

Dub. wrote: »
    So, they`ve cancelled two episodes of Coronation st tonight because of the England international match...which they aren`t showing.

Joke of a channel.

I was hoping to catch the England game:(

I`ve just deleted UTV Ireland from my UPC favourites. There is literally nothing on it that i want to watch anymore.

What possible reason could they have for not showing the England match?

I`ve just deleted UTV Ireland from my UPC favourites. There is literally nothing on it that i want to watch anymore.

What possible reason could they have for not showing the England match?

They don't have the rights to show it.

So what`s the point of the channel so? They appear to be the first tv channel in history that has actually managed to reduce our viewing options.

So what`s the point of the channel so? They appear to be the first tv channel in history that has actually managed to reduce our viewing options.

I've no idea. Possibly to get a place on the Sky EPG to sell adverts during the Soaps.

But for anyone who had the old UTV station on Cable it is a very poor imitation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 146 ✭✭LiamNeeson

I haven't been following this UTV Ireland business but the whole thing is a bit off, I know it's not officially called Ulster Television anymore but that is still what the UTV stands for, so basically it is called Ulster Television Ireland, some of Ulster is actually in the Irish republic anyway and most of its shows are English. Irish TV on sky is the only real Irish TV channel in my opinion.

• Advertisement
Advertisement