Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The UTV Ireland Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Dub. wrote: »
    So what`s the point of the channel so? They appear to be the first tv channel in history that has actually managed to reduce our viewing options.

How? Corrie's not being broadcast tonight in the UK either? ITV postponed it for the football - how is that UTV Ireland's fault? They can't show what they don't have?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭lertsnim

So, they`ve cancelled two episodes of Coronation st tonight because of the England international match...which they aren`t showing.

Joke of a channel.

ITV cancelled it. I am sure ITV don't want other broadcasters to show episodes days before they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Dub.

evilivor wrote: »
    How? Corrie's not being broadcast tonight in the UK either? ITV postponed it for the football - how is that UTV Ireland's fault? They can't show what they don't have?

You don`t blame them for denying Irish people access to major sporting events that they had access to before?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

So, they`ve cancelled two episodes of Coronation st tonight because of the England international match...which they aren`t showing.

Joke of a channel.

How, precisely, do you expect UTV Ireland to show episodes of Corrie that do not exist?

You don`t blame them for denying Irish people access to major sporting events that they had access to before?

England v Lithuania is a major spoorting event? Next I'll be reading posts where people say they miss the sofa adverts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Its an EURO qualifier so yes its major. Others games UTV will be missing include Brazil v Chile on Sunday.

Others games UTV will be missing include Brazil v Chile on Sunday.

A friendly, again not a major sporting event.

Sure but its a big game Brazil v Chile is a big game even if its a friendly - people will want to watch. Not you obviously!

• Advertisement

Sure but its a big game Brazil v Chile is a big game even if its a friendly - people will want to watch. Not you obviously!

I'll watch it if I'm doing nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

God I hate this channel.

Watching England now on Chrome with Hola on the ITV player.

Works a charm, but irritating all the same.

Corrie is on Sunday instead of today, an hour long episode!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

Utv Ireland is dreadful! Wish they left it the way it was

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭batistuta9

is it utvi or upc's decision to remove & replace utv?

UTV's decision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭Infoanon

lertsnim wrote: »
    UTV's decision.

UPC 's decision - discussed at length in various threads - widely believed to be due to a perceived potential threat of action by another channel if UPC carriage of UTV continued.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭LiamHam82

TV3 for a long time has been the worst network to ever exist, I never thought anything could be worse, Jesus H Christ I was wrong.

Where do I start

The 80's style green and yellow is beyond horrible
    The announcer saying "On UTV Ireland" after everything. WE KNOW WHAT F**KING CHANNEL WE'RE WATCHING!!!
    Ireland Live, sitting on deck chairs holding their ipads which they never use or look at, poor Alison Comyn is wasted on this.
    Lovely short videos of Ireland to go with Ireland Live as the ONLY Irish content on 95% British content.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Tugboats wrote: »

Odd quote in the piece:
    UTV is aiming to make the station the most-watched channel in Ireland after RTE 1 by January 2017.

Two whole years away. Not exactly setting the target high. God forbid, if something ever happened to Corrie or/and Emmerdale and they were axed - this channel would be gone completely. They are so reliant on these two programmes that it's critical for them to perform well for this channel to stay on the telly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Infoanon wrote: »
    UPC 's decision - discussed at length in various threads - widely believed to be due to a perceived potential threat of action by another channel if UPC carriage of UTV continued.

utvi are taking all the stick (on this thread anyway) when it's not really their fault then. never actually knew utv (well itv i suppose really) was so popular here

that channel have a 3 in it?

At least they have their subtitles working correctly on programmes that feature them, as opposed to TV3 whose subtitles are either missing or delayed. On Red Rock, their flagship programme the subs are delayed or missing a lot of the time. Is it a Sky issue or TV3?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I don't buy that for one second, despite the fact that UTV have publicly blamed UPC. Consider that TV3 bought the rights to Granada (now ITV)'s programmes in 2000. If any cause of action had accrued against UPC (or UTV), it would have accrued then. Yet TV3 and UTV peacefully co-existed for more than 13 years thereafter. Surely any legal action would be statute barred at this stage.

UPC and their predecessors carried UTV for nearly fifty years. If UPC are to blame, it is because they saw an opportunity to save themselves a few quid in clearing the rights to ITV's programmes. Or because UTV asked them to. Could be a combination of both.

icdg wrote: »
    I don't buy that for one second, despite the fact that UTV have publicly blamed UPC. Consider that TV3 bought the rights to Granada (now ITV)'s programmes in 2000. If any cause of action had accrued against UPC (or UTV), it would have accrued then. Yet TV3 and UTV peacefully co-existed for more than 13 years thereafter. Surely any legal action would be statute barred at this stage.

UPC and their predecessors carried UTV for nearly fifty years. If UPC are to blame, it is because they saw an opportunity to save themselves a few quid in clearing the rights to ITV's programmes. Or because UTV asked them to. Could be a combination of both.

UTV blamed UPC, UPC did not deny it, though I can understand the cynicism the fact remains that UPC have never rejected UTVs statement.

LiamHam82 wrote: »
    poor Alison Comyn is wasted on this

+1 on that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Finally saw something worthwhile on it last night. Sean Locke & Jon Richardson playing at cowboys. Very enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Le_Dooner

The Germany qualifier on ITV4 has also been blocked for ROI viewers over rights. This takes the fecking biscuit all together. You wouldn't get these problems on Sky! Should be no reason why games shouldn't be broadcast such as the Brazil game today on UTV Ireland. The sooner that channel dies the better. Can watch less now than before it was set up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭brick man

If you had Freesat ITV4 is not blocked at all of course when you buy their box you insert a NI postcode

Le_Dooner wrote: »
    The Germany qualifier on ITV4 has also been blocked for ROI viewers over rights. This takes the fecking biscuit all together. You wouldn't get these problems on Sky! Should be no reason why games shouldn't be broadcast such as the Brazil game today on UTV Ireland. The sooner that channel dies the better. Can watch less now than before it was set up!

All sporting events are blocked on ITV4 for UPC customers. What that has to do with UTV Ireland however is beyond me.

It's been happening since long before UTV Ireland was ever conceived of. There were even programmes which were blocked on their original airing on ITV4 but not their repeat showing on UTV.

brick man wrote: »
    If you had Freesat ITV4 is not blocked at all of course when you buy their box you insert a NI postcode

ITV4 is not a geo sensitive channel so you'll get it regardless of post code (quite anyone would voluntarily submit themevles to the schedules and programmes of BBC NI and UTV is another matter!).

ITV4 is not a geo sensitive channel so you'll get it regardless of post code (quite anyone would voluntarily submit themevles to the schedules and programmes of BBC NI and UTV is another matter!).

I was referring to a Freesat box which a postcode is needed a free to air box of course does not and ITV 4 is available on both

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭smurfs5

For anyone who wants to watch the ITV Leaders Debate and doesn't fancy a show on trawlermen or CCTV, it's on the BBC News Channel and Sky News.

smurfs5 wrote:
    For anyone who wants to watch the ITV Leaders Debate and doesn't fancy a show on trawlermen or CCTV, it's on the BBC News Channel and Sky News.

And RTE News Now as well !

brick man wrote: »
    And RTE News Now as well !

Only till 9. Then they had to simulcast RTÉ One.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

smurfs5 wrote: »

Another example of UTV Ireland having no interest in their 'old' viewers who liked to watch ITV programming on UTV, but who no longer have the option.

They seem to be only concerned with people who have never watched UTV e.g by showing old episodes of popular dramas instead of new ones so viewers could "catch up"

It is a mess of a station, pissing off the core audience who watched UTV in the past is no way to run a business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Skid X wrote: »
    Another example of UTV Ireland having no interest in their 'old' viewers who liked to watch ITV programming on UTV, but who no longer have the option.

They seem to be only concerned with people who have never watched UTV e.g by showing old episodes of popular dramas instead of new ones so viewers could "catch up"

It is a mess of a station, pissing off the core audience who watched UTV in the past is no way to run a business.

...and people who never watched old UTV would be limited to imaginary people who exist in some 2 channel land last seen down the sticks in the early 1990s. I know, West Limerick was poorly served back in the days before dishes.
    There'll be a few shills along defending the "channel" but in reality, it's dead - bent stats and planted newspaper stories won't bring a dead dog to life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭smurfs5

I know Twitter isn't wholly representative but the Leaders Debate was trending No.1 in Ireland before it had even started!

Replacing it with shows you'd expect to see late at night on Discovery or Dave is baffling. Would they really have rated much better?

It does seem like the bosses don't care about the previous UTV audience who had a routine and a loyalty to certain ITV programmes. The entire schedule has been messed with and it's a complete mess - reruns of flop ITV shows from years ago being shoved into primetime, endless repeats and it all smacks of amateurish management who are out of touch with their audience and don't understand their audience. There's hardly anything worth watching on the channel. The Irish TV landscape is extremely poor as a whole I think.

Its a no win situation for UTVI, if they did show the leaders debate there would have been complaints about UK election coverage and by not showing it theres complaints as above.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭marbless

I'm a UPC customer.

Phoned UPC last night about UTV.

Was told UPC is at the mercy of UTV on this, and UTV will only let UPC broadcast UTV-Ireland.

Was told UPC has tried to pass on multiple complaints from subscribers but can't get a reply from UTV.

Asked why UTV is still available to Sky customers.
    Was told UTV will soon be removed from Sky menu.

Asked why UPC, despite a recent price hike, hadn't informed customers UTV would no longer be available.
    Was told UPC had no legal obligation to do this - it was up to UTV. Pointed out I have a contract with UPC, not UTV.

Told I should contact UTV.

marbless wrote: »
    I'm a UPC customer.

Was told UPC is at the mercy of UTV on this, and UTV will only let UPC broadcast UTV-Ireland.

Was told UPC has tried to pass on multiple complaints from subscribers but can't get a reply from UTV.

Asked why UPC, despite a recent price hike, hadn't informed customers UTV would no longer be available.
    Was told UPC had no legal obligation to do this - it was up to UTV. Pointed out I have a contract with UPC, not UTV.

You were told a few porkies....UTV will NOT be removed from Sky or any other FTA Satellite system and UTV have stated in writing that UPC pulled UTV.

• Advertisement

Indeed it would be impossible to do so without removing it from Freesat for people in Northern Ireland. It's just not technically possible.

Meanwhile UTV NI will be producing a Northern Ireland leaders debate on 28th April. It'll also be shown on STV and ITV, but will UTV show it on their own southern service?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Meanwhile UTV NI will be producing a Northern Ireland leaders debate on 28th April. It'll also be shown on STV and ITV, but will UTV show it on their own southern service?

I don't see why they would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I'm a UPC customer.

UTV has not been on the sky menu since the turn of the century.
    Its only available via the other channels route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Indeed it would be impossible to do so without removing it from Freesat for people in Northern Ireland. It's just not technically possible.

I think it ought to be shown. One of the criticisms directed at Sinn Fein has been that they are pursuing different approaches towards austerity on both sides of the island; whatever about the truth of that it's a topic I'm certain will come up. People down here should be able to see the debate to make our own minds up. I doubt we will get to, however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

lertsnim wrote: »
    I don't see why they would.

I'd have thought that an NI leaders debate would be of comparable (possibly more) interest to viewers in the rest of Ireland compared to those in Great Britain. But it's up to UTV.

I imagine the reason that ITV and STV are showing it boils down to:

* NI MPs could affect the balance of power at Westminster.

* They faced criticism for not including them in the main leaders debate last week and want to show they are representing the UK as a whole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭marbless

UTV have stated in writing that UPC pulled UTV.
    Is there a link to this?

Is there a link to this?

The faqs on the UTV.ie website - its been brought up on the talk to UPC section of this website but basically ignored by UPC.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Simon2015

Any word yet when Pat Kennys new show is going to be on ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭todolist

Simon2015 wrote: »
    Any word yet when Pat Kennys new show is going to be on ?
    Who cares? Dump UTV Ireland.Restore UTV.

todolist wrote: »
    Who cares?

The person who asked the question obviously. Your beloved UTV is available if you miss it so badly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement