Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The UTV Ireland Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Free-to-air satellite is the way to go. No more insular rubbish from UTV or BBC Norn Iron. No more having to put up with breaks from the normal BBC 2 schedule to show some obscure rugby match or motor bike race. No more complaining about the unmitigated disaster that is UTV Ireland. Won't ever miss Jackie Fullerton's smug face again. No more UPC bills. No more Sky bills. Bliss.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Simon2015

I read that they paid Pat Kenny a million euro for his new show on UTV.

For the money they are paying him the show would want to be good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Just on the UPC v UTV thing, I think it's a lot more complicated than UTV saying 'it's nothing to do with us'. It could easily be that UPC could still show UTV (UK) but the carriage fee has been greatly increased or that certain programmes would have to be blocked (like ITV4) and it would be pointless to show it if so

Looking at it logically, there's no reason at all why UPC wouldn't want to include it, if reasonably possible. I know some people think corporations are out to piss off their customers but that's really not the case.

The only people to gain from the exclusion of UTV UK from the UPC line up is UTV Ireland. It's logical to think UTV are the reason why they're not on the line up.

Either way it has been pretty damaging for UPC customers. Without the ITV sports, I know I have absolutely no reason to watch the channel now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Dodge wrote: »
    Just on the UPC v UTV thing, I think it's a lot more complicated than UTV saying 'it's nothing to do with us'. It could easily be that UPC could still show UTV (UK) but the carriage fee has been greatly increased or that certain programmes would have to be blocked (like ITV4) and it would be pointless to show it if so

Looking at it logically, there's no reason at all why UPC wouldn't want to include it, if reasonably possible. I know some people think corporations are out to piss off their customers but that's really not the case.

The only people to gain from the exclusion of UTV UK from the UPC line up is UTV Ireland. It's logical to think UTV are the reason why they're not on the line up.

Either way it has been pretty damaging for UPC customers. Without the ITV sports, I know I have absolutely no reason to watch the channel now

Fear of legal action by another channel was the reason allegedly. ......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Simon2015 wrote: »
    Any word yet when Pat Kennys new show is going to be on ?

Few pieces in the media on Thursday regarding this. He said they'll have 3 shows 'in the can' before they go to air. They are recording it in The Mansion House. He doesn't know what day it will air - would rather not go up against The Late Late Show, but doesn't mind going up against Ray D'Arcy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Brian O'Driscoll, Bono, Lulu, Shane Filan and Martina Navratilova are the guests in Pat Kenny's five week run, if you believe these websites (and others carrying the same story)

http://rsvpmagazine.ie/wow-amazing-line-up-for-pat-kenny-show/

http://www.herald.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/bod-set-to-join-pat-kenny-on-new-chat-show-31129627.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Skid X wrote: »
    Brian O'Driscoll, Bono, Lulu, Shane Filan and Martina Navratilova are the guests in Pat Kenny's five week run, if you believe these websites (and others carrying the same story)

http://rsvpmagazine.ie/wow-amazing-line-up-for-pat-kenny-show/

http://www.herald.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/bod-set-to-join-pat-kenny-on-new-chat-show-31129627.html

4 people who'd turn up for the opening of an envelope and Martina Navratilova. I can't wait.

Going for the youth market with Lulu and Martina Navratilova there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,981 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Wonder what life changing revelations Brian O'Driscoll and the rest of the Irish rugby squad are going to reveal to Pat that they haven't already given us on their 53 previous Late Late and Saturday Night show appearances? I hope Pat can bag another exclusive interview with these 2 fcuknuts at some point aswell, just to keep things interesting and original:

cid_ii_13b0ac9ef8e50f76-e1354380837681.jpg

Follow that up with Brendan O Carrol talking about Mrs Brownes boys and it looks like UTV Ireland is onto yet another winner.

Thargor wrote: »
    Wonder what life changing revelations Brian O'Driscoll and the rest of the Irish rugby squad are going to reveal to Pat that they haven't already given us on their 53 previous Late Late and Saturday Night show appearances? I hope Pat can bag another exclusive interview with these 2 fcuknuts at some point aswell, just to keep things interesting and original:

cid_ii_13b0ac9ef8e50f76-e1354380837681.jpg

Follow that up with Brendan O Carrol talking about Mrs Brownes boys and it looks like UTV Ireland is onto yet another winner.

I watch UTV Ireland for Corrie,GMB and whatever good ITV dramas are on that I haven't seen before but I certainly won't watch that idiot. I remember his Seinfeld interview when he did the Late Late show,cringe!

• Advertisement

There is only going to be 5 episodes between now and the end of the summer. That's not exactly a lot - and will hardly put a major dent into the ratings elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭serfboard

I wonder are they going to show Pat's programme on UTVNI? The (proposed) guest list makes me think they might.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭Clitheroekid

How refreshing it is to listen to news programmes from various regions of Btitain.No more mantras from flag obsessed idiots from the wee north.Get free to air HD tv installed from Astra 28.2.I surprised that John Malone has allowed UTV Ireland to be relayed on his cable system.John Malone is the owner of Liberty Global.All we need now to confirm that UTV Ireland is a retirement home for old rubbish and has beens ie the imposition of Pat Kenny on its non existant audience,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

There was an article over the weekend on how poor UTV Irelands rating have been. Before they began they predicted losses of €4m for the first year, that has now been revised upwards to €8m.

Article also said many RTE staffers find it bizarre that they are using Pat Kenny in a light entertainment format and not something more like the Frontline. Have to say I agree with them, obviously UTV Ireland cant recall the days of Kenny Live and how his total lack of charisma ended up with him getting the nickname 'Pat the Plank'. I've a lot of time for Pat Kenny when he is doing political coverage, he was in his element on the Frontline till RTE axed it. No way should he be let anywhere near a light entertainment show where the host has to have at least some charisma to get the best out of the guests on the show.

Kenny is arguably one of Irelands best political broadcasters and he has a knack of knowing to ask the correct questions (unlike Miriam O'Callaghan who seems to ooze sympathy for whoever she is interviewing and spends much of her time nodding to the answer in agreement). If UTV use Kenny solely for light entertainment in an election year then they will have missed the boat yet again IMO

^ That's what they're doing with the backend of his show. We'll be sick and tired of politicians telling lies - and PK will step in to let us hear more lies.
    The election will be March / April 2016....I'd imagine the plug will have been pulled on this weird nonsense by then.

Code of a Killer pt. 2 was excellent last night. Available on all good pirate sites.

...now which shill will turn up to defend the pathetic (I think the shinnerbots are double-jobbing).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭lertsnim

It's not nice to brand people a shill just because they don't share your opinion. It stifles debate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

...now which shill will turn up to defend the pathetic (I think the shinnerbots are double-jobbing).

What are you ranting about? If anyone is being paid to hype up UTV Ireland on this thread they are doing a piss poor job.

I still find it bizarre that they'll only have 13 episodes of the Pat Kenny chat show series over this year - with 5 between now and end of summer. They're only 1 hour long and are all pre-recorded a week or 2 in advance. Pat Kenny signing on to UTV Ireland was brought to us with such fanfare and delight from them - but are only going to use him for such little airtime seems odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,750 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

iseegirls wrote: »
    I still find it bizarre that they'll only have 13 episodes of the Pat Kenny chat show series over this year - with 5 between now and end of summer. They're only 1 hour long and are all pre-recorded a week or 2 in advance. Pat Kenny signing on to UTV Ireland was brought to us with such fanfare and delight from them - but are only going to use him for such little airtime seems odd.

And given that this will be their only home produced programme outside of news in their southern operation (AFAIK).

• Advertisement

The first 5 are pre-records. From what I read / heard, the back 8 are going to be more current affairs / political. Pat Kenny is the best current affairs / hard news head we have.....but he's only as good as his guests. Any political heavyweights will still go (reluctantly) to RTE in an election year. With everything to lose and nothing to gain you won't see Pat Kenny grilling Enda, Joan, Micheal or Gerry this year.
    I'd expect him to do some live shows along the lines of Frontline. If all 13 are pre-records then he's just in it for a payday and has longer term plans.
    My suspicions are that if he was taking the gig seriously, he'd have been on air from week 1.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Simon2015

I can see UTV Ireland closing down within 3 years.

Simon2015 wrote: »
    I can see UTV Ireland closing down within 3 years.

They probably have enough cash to hold out for this year and into next. I'd reckon shutters close in about 12 months. The minor defections (probably on monthly or 6 month contracts) will start later this year and the trouble with betting all on Pat Kenny is the optics when he ups sticks and leaves.
    They should have started small and in tandem with UTV NI and in competition with TG4 for the documentary market. Give a showcase to Irish short films. We are snowed under with talented film-makers who can't get a break. We are not short of shopping channels or Jeremy Kyle re-runs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭Lunaarli

UTV breaking news on social media is embarrassing.
    Always about a half hour after everyone else...

The advertisers choose what goes on TV. They will happily support an hour of Corrie and Emmerdale each day. Gives people something to ignore while they boil the kettle. They will not subsidise a childish waste of airwaves. You post and mine probably have a higher viewership that whatever is currently airing on ITV Ireland and we're in the game gratis.

• Advertisement

UTV Ireland paid a lot of money for the ITV Studios rights - they weren't exactly given away for free. They have now set themselves for a predictesd loss of 8million this year, double what they thought at the start of the year. I'm unsure how they aim to get in profit at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Yeah I was wondering the same. But now I'm thinking that despite all the fanfare that UTV made about recruiting Pat Kenny he still has a contract to work five days a week in Newstalk. So I'm guessing when he signed with Newstalk there was a provision in his contract to allow him to do TV, but not as much as he had when he was at RTE. Thats just my guess, but it certainly seems like the noise UTV made about his recruitment at the time has turned into a damp squib by not using him immediately.

....that if you keep broadcasting rubbish people will eventually watch. We're moving into an era when HBO are deliberately leaking half a season of GoT to drum up publicity, pirates are switching to Netflix because it acts like mammy and recommends what you watch and people watch movies on their phones (believe me, I have opinions on that last one myself).
    They're entering a market that was last seen in rural Ireland in the early 1970s......two channel land. Which does not exist anymore. Anywhere. To make an Irish Independent TV channel work it needs something more than a logo that a failed art student would laugh at and Good Morning Wrong Country.

UTV Ireland is based on, roughly, 5 programmes. Coronation Street and Emmerdale which they have now. The X Factor, Britain's Got Talent and I'm a Celebrity... which they'll have soon when the TV3 rights expire.

We can be snooty about it all we like but they're all big TV shows for Irish audiences and will clearly be attractive to advertisers. As above, the interesting thing is what happens to TV3

• Advertisement

UTV Ireland is based on, roughly, 5 programmes. Coronation Street and Emmerdale which they have now. The X Factor, Britain's Got Talent and I'm a Celebrity... which they'll have soon when the TV3 rights expire.

We can be snooty about it all we like but they're all big TV shows for Irish audiences and will clearly be attractive to advertisers. As above, the interesting thing is what happens to TV3

I have no problem with reality shows / repeats / LCD TV in general and I used to be a Corrie regular. I would like the choice back of watching first run drama. The sports people have other gripes that I can't voice but can certainly understand.
    TV3 has a morning breakfast show that pulls in the punters, a new soap. They've actually started making their own stuff and will tick along nicely without me bothering to watch it too much.
    The lazy incompetent channel that is UTV Ireland can't even stretch to bringing someone in at 7 or 8 in the morning to read the news and skim over the newspapers. Instead we're left wondering which way to vote in the election next month. Except its in another country.

I wasn't suggesting the channel was you, me or even most people. I'm just pointing out that people claiming it'll be dead in a year are being ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭Infoanon

I have no problem with reality shows / repeats / LCD TV in general and I used to be a Corrie regular. I would like the choice back of watching first run drama. The sports people have other gripes that I can't voice but can certainly understand.
    TV3 has a morning breakfast show that pulls in the punters, a new soap. They've actually started making their own stuff and will tick along nicely without me bothering to watch it too much.

The reality is that the TV3 viewing figures are dire and now the owners of TV3 can't off load it quick enough which cannot be good for staff morale.

As Dodge said what happens to TV3 is going to be interesting.

I wasn't suggesting the channel was you, me or even most people. I'm just pointing out that people claiming it'll be dead in a year are being ridiculous.

Do I hope it goes - sure. Do I care what happens to TV3 - don't give a toss.
    As a neutral way of looking at things, money doesn't lie- every new venture looks at making a loss in year 1. That's business 101. However doubling the built-in loss in year 1 is not good. And the entire venture is built on sand. The good ships Emmerdale and Corrie will be offered better deals in the goodness of time. They've jumped from RTE to TV3 to UTVI. Then it is game over. It's already been stated here that cutting back on their news output will be next (and I'd bet on that horse)- that won't be missed.
    With nothing to call its own what then is UTV Ireland ? Just a repeats channel. We probably will wind up with the 2 RTE channels and TG4 as our three main channels. For a country our size that is probably enough. UTV Ireland will go down as the flotsam with the jetsam that always was TV3.
    Remember the only people forced to watch or ignore this nonsense are UPC subscribers. In a stroke of a pen and a quick relegation to where it belongs - somewhere between Dave and Living, UTV Ireland ends.

The lazy incompetent channel that is UTV Ireland can't even stretch to bringing someone in at 7 or 8 in the morning to read the news and skim over the newspapers. Instead we're left wondering which way to vote in the election next month. Except its in another country.
    Initially, UTV Ireland didn't carry Good Morning Britain, for good reason I think. But they got so much stick on social media for it, probably from UPC Dublin Anglophiles, that they decided to show it. It really was a case of "damned if you do, damned if you don't". Although, I personally think they shouldn't have started airing it.

Karsini wrote: »
    Initially, UTV Ireland didn't carry Good Morning Britain, for good reason I think. But they got so much stick on social media for it, probably from UPC Dublin Anglophiles, that they decided to show it. It really was a case of "damned if you do, damned if you don't". Although, I personally think they shouldn't have started airing it.

I can't recall anyone whether they're from Killorglin or Killiney looking for GMB. I'd have assumed a morning show was an open goal for any new channel. RTE had a quality show airing at the wrong time up until last November. Morning Edition with Keelin Shanley was the right balance of news / current affairs / consumer issues to compete with the froth over on TV3. It started airing just as people were leaving for work - ie. 2 hours too late (proving that stupidity is not limited to UTV Ireland).

All UTVI had to do was reproduce that. Home grown production criticisms solved and run all the Jeremy Kyle twaddle you need in the the dead zone between 10 AM and 5 PM. Once again, a blatant display of no homework done at UTV Ireland.

You might have to look back a while on their Facebook page but there were plenty of complaints due to no GMB.

Agreed about Morning Edition but I always suspected that they had it on so late so it wouldn't tap into Morning Ireland's audience.

Karsini wrote: »

Agreed about Morning Edition but I always suspected that they had it on so late so it wouldn't tap into Morning Ireland's audience.

That's the most likely conclusion. The idea that one might complement the other never occurred. It certainly shouldn't have stopped a rival channel from having a go.

Their first show back on UTV Ireland got 2,700 viewers - a 2.37% audience share. In comparison, Ireland AM got 32%. Of course it takes time to build an audience (especially if people have never had the opportunity to see GMB) but it goes to prove that restoring/showing a programme which only really 50-60 people complained about on Twitter and Facebook will not always give them a positive result.

I think if they attempted to place better programming between 6-8.30am from the start, then most of the audience wouldn't have complained. Instead they aired Teleshopping and a Loose Women repeat. Of course then they are lining themselves up to be targeted for not showing GMB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,716 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

The 6.30pm news viewing figures are still fairly dismal, an average of 15,000, the 10pm slot is a bit better at 40,000.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

I really only watch it for corrie and doc martin.
    No shows on after 12 for us night owls is a joke.
    RTE 1 and Network 2 are choc block full of good shows in the early hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,322 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Starve TV3 off the air? Absolutely nobody is watching UTV Ireland apart from to see Corrie and Emmerdale.....it's like ITV5 or ITV6 at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Strazdas wrote: »
    Starve TV3 off the air? Absolutely nobody is watching UTV Ireland apart from to see Corrie and Emmerdale.....it's like ITV5 or ITV6 at the moment.

So it is essentially what TV3 was since its inception

lertsnim wrote: »
    So it is essentially what TV3 was since its inception

It's essentially what TV3 was at its inception. As soon as UTV Ireland have a morning show of their own, a soap of their own, some homegrown documentaries it will fit in the same sentence as an admittedly third rate channel. When it negotiates the rights to the content on UTV proper it can call itself an adequate replacement (still having no idea why it was needed in the first place though).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,750 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Alison is still a bit shakey when the autocue is taken away. She still can't master saying goodbye at the end of 10 bulletin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

The worst thing about the channel is that you now cannot watch 90% of the output at peaktime thats not itv studios stuff such as code of a killer etc. They obviously had though that people wouldnt notice the difference and would put up with 5 or 6 year old episodes of Doc Martin. I have to say having freesat, I havent watched anything on UTV Ireland when I can see it all in HD on UTV.

They wont go out of business but I think that like TV3 with Downton Abbey they are restricted in showing rights to programmes at the same time they are on ITV if they are not ITV studios programmes. Graham Norton and Jonathan Ross being a case in point and this is something they did not think people would really notice.
    If you look at their twitter page they are still responding to queries about the xfactor that they hope to have Irish rights this year, yet TV3 have exclusive rights up until 2016. Its a bit of mess alright and those stuck in UPC land must be feeling the brunt of it with less choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

I'm a UPC customer.

And I've just tuned the channel out altogether.

stock-footage-static-screen-retro-television-stuck-on-static-station.jpg

Just thought I'd say it. :o:o:o;);)

Most UPC customers have a pretty good broadband connection - so anything airing on ITV is easily available elsewhere. Tuning the channel out seems like a good idea - it might be possible to drag something more useful (eg. BBC4, Sky Arts or Film 4) down the epg to replace it for convenience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭Clitheroekid

Strazdas refers to ITV5 and ITV6,they are non existant.

Advertisement