Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The UTV Ireland Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭Clitheroekid

T suggest that anybody receiving free to air satellite tv should tune out UTV and tune in ITV from Granada, London, Midlands or Soth East.All regions available in HD.Dump UTV altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Strazdas refers to ITV5 and ITV6,they are non existant.

He was joking.

T suggest that anybody receiving free to air satellite tv should tune out UTV and tune in ITV from Granada, London, Midlands or Soth East.All regions available in HD.Dump UTV altogether.

I'd welcome UTV NI back... if only for the ITV Nightscreen soundtracks. :o:o:o:D;)

Also, to be pedantic, there's only one ITV station in England, Wales, southern Scotland and the Channel Islands (the former ITV1, that is). There are still regional programmes, but all continuity is done in London.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭lertsnim

He was joking.

I'd welcome UTV NI back... if only for the ITV Nightscreen soundtracks. :o:o:o:D;)

Also, to be pedantic, there's only one ITV station in England, Wales and the Channel Islands (the former ITV1, that is). There are still regional programmes, but all continuity is done in London.

There's also an ITV in Scotland in the border region.

lertsnim wrote: »
    There's also an ITV in Scotland in the border region.

Should have remembered that Border Television served southern Scotland as well as Cumbria... :o:o:o

JbC-.jpg

I've edited my previous post accordingly. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

I feel really short changed by this channel. We are missing all kinds of new UTV dramas and are being shown repeats of old ones instead. I presume they won't be showing Downton Abbey next Autumn either, or will show us a repeat of series one to 'give us a chance to refresh our memories' or somesuch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭doubledown

I feel really short changed by this channel. We are missing all kinds of new UTV dramas and are being shown repeats of old ones instead. I presume they won't be showing Downton Abbey next Autumn either, or will show us a repeat of series one to 'give us a chance to refresh our memories' or somesuch.

TV3 will be showing it

Cumbria and dumfries region are served by ITV 1 while the rest of Scotland is served by STV.STV HD is on frre to air satellite.I also suggest that people who are fed up with UTV Ireland should also not listen to radio statios owned by UTV Media.I certainly will not.

New drama on ITV 1 about to start at 9pm. Safe House,old rubbish on UTV Direland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

New drama on ITV 1 about to start at 9pm. Safe House,old rubbish on UTV Direland.
    yes and notice now how they are now not replying to any negative comments or queries on twitter if you ask why its not on. Paul O Grady had the star of Safe house on tonight which UTV Ireland is broadcasting at least. HE showed clips of it and it looks very good- but of course UTV Ireland decided to show Doc Martin instead, a complete waste of time.

Safe House isn't made by ITV Studios so that would explain why UTV Ireland aren't showing it. It is made by Eleventh Hour Films.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'm sure it will wind up on UTV Direland eventually, by which I mean 3 years from now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

I started watch safe house in england with my parents, only to discover that I've no way of watching the other episodes as I have stupid upc and this stupid utv ireland channel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

^ Well it only starts tonight on ITV proper. All 4 episodes will be available to download once the show airs. Normally 30 minutes afterwards and it'll be up. Give it an hour or so if you need 720p quality.
    Free of ads and no guilt about supporting the lame duck channel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭batistuta9

what's the story with players, are they geoblocked?
    i was checking if mafia w/ trevor mcdonald was up, they want you to sign up too to view

has anyone watched that show, any good?

batistuta9 wrote: »
    what's the story with players, are they geoblocked?
    i was checking if mafia w/ trevor mcdonald was up, they want you to sign up too to view

has anyone watched that show, any good?

Watched half of episode one. Its Trevor McDonald talking to a bunch of self appointed hard nuts playing it up for the camera. I gave up when one clown "accidentally" ran into his schoolfriend lawyer pal. "He went one way and I went de udder."
    You ducked a bullet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Watched half of episode one. Its Trevor McDonald talking to a bunch of self appointed hard nuts playing it up for the camera. I gave up when one clown "accidentally" ran into his schoolfriend lawyer pal. "He went one way and I went de udder."
    You ducked a bullet.

:pac: that's in a pretty much all those type of shows, their americanness wouldn't be helping either

you see this guy in it?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Franzese

Not sure...think I saw him on a Discovery channel yoke. I see it this way - if they're doing reality TV and motivational speaking, we are not looking at Michael Corleone.

Interested in the mob - get a book on Lucky Luciano, Meyer Lansky or Carlo Gambino. It'll be full of lies but lies told by men who knew how to tell a classy lie.

Cumbria and dumfries region are served by ITV 1 while the rest of Scotland is served by STV.STV HD is on frre to air satellite.I also suggest that people who are fed up with UTV Ireland should also not listen to radio statios owned by UTV Media.I certainly will not.

Sorry to be pedantic again, but it's not ITV1 any more - it's just plain ITV now. :o:o:o:);)

Also, not listening to radio stations owned by UTV Media means not listening to FM104 or Dublin's Q102... or Talksport in the UK. Just saying. :eek: :o:D:);)

Good for me the radio usually has a cat sitting on it. Best way to listen to it in election / referendum season.

doubledown wrote: »
    TV3 will be showing it

I know, but not until some night during the week. Downton is a real Sunday evening programme. A nice switchoff for the end of the weekend.

Someone I know who works in television reckons UTV Ireland will be gone in about a year's time. Here's hoping!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I wanna watch the Barca PSG game tonight but cant as its on ITV. Now that we're at the tail end of the Champions League this is getting seriously annoying.

Is it true that Sky customers are still getting ITV? If so I think I might switch but does anyone know what Skys broadband is like in Dublin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I wanna watch the Barca PSG game tonight but cant as its on ITV. Now that we're at the tail end of the Champions League this is getting seriously annoying.

Is it true that Sky customers are still getting ITV? If so I think I might switch but does anyone know what Skys broadband is like in Dublin?

The Barca PSG game should be on Setanta Ireland, if you can receive that?
    I know it's not the same, and miles away from ITV's coverage, but at least it's something

I'd knock the complaint through to the Talk to UPC thread here....

http://www.boards.ie/ttforum/1546

They will do nothing now but...
    On foot of enough complaints, if they relegate the disgrace channel down the epg..the P45s on UTVI will be out in time for Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Yes. It is true that ITV HD is available on Sky+HD and Freesat. And UTV is available in Other Channels if you're using a regular Sky box.

I don't know much about Sky's regular broadband but I think that uses phones lines from Eircom. I don't know anything about Sky Fibre.

I've rung UPC to register my complaint. I just rang the main number for technical assistance and the girl took down my complaint and said it will be passed on. The more people that register their annoyance at having a good quality station removed to be replaced with an inferior one showing programmes we've already seen years ago, the more chance UPC will do something about it.

In the ratings, seems like the soaps have fallen dramatically. Coronation Street averaging 300,000. A soap which TV3 got a lot more before, even though they didn't have 'exclusivity'.

People are not staying around for programmes after the soaps -
    Mon: Corrie 334,000 - Doc Martin 108,000 : Lost 226,000 viewers
    Tue: Emmerdale 219,000 - Paul O'Grady 64,000 : Lost 155,000 viewers
    Wed: Corrie 277,000 - Wild Ireland 55,000 : Lost 222,000 viewers
    Thu: Emmerdale 157,000 - Double Decker 58,000 : Lost 99,000 viewers
    Fri: Corrie 297,000 - Slow Train 55,000 : Lost 242,000 viewers

iseegirls wrote: »

Percentage-wise: drops of 67.7%, 70.8%, 80.1%, 63.1% and 81.5% respectively.

Ouch.

The soaps in and of themselves were losing viewers anyway. The idea that an anchor show like Corrie or Eastenders will keep people glued to the same channel dates back to 2 channel land.
    If it is still being taught that the viewer is that passive in media studies / marketing then those courses are as idiotic as I believed. Take a trip to an old folks home and watch the old dears using the remotes if you don't believe me.
    7.30 Corrie
    8.00 BBC4
    9.00 Film4

All while doing a spot of knitting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Yes. It is true that ITV HD is available on Sky+HD and Freesat. And UTV is available in Other Channels if you're using a regular Sky box.

I don't know much about Sky's regular broadband but I think that uses phones lines from Eircom. I don't know anything about Sky Fibre.

Just a note on this..

UTV Ireland is on the Sky EPG too and while you can view ITV HD or UTV through Other Channels on a Sky box, these cannot be recorded and do not have the full 7-day guide that the rest of the channels have.

• Advertisement

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Just a note on this..

UTV Ireland is on the Sky EPG too and while you can view ITV HD or UTV through Other Channels on a Sky box, these cannot be recorded and do not have the full 7-day guide that the rest of the channels have.

I wouldn't recommend anybody to touch Sky if they are looking for ITV channels. It is ridiculously restrictive. Freesat is certainly the way to go.

The soaps in and of themselves were losing viewers anyway. The idea that an anchor show like Corrie or Eastenders will keep people glued to the same channel dates back to 2 channel land.
    If it is still being taught that the viewer is that passive in media studies / marketing then those courses are as idiotic as I believed. Take a trip to an old folks home and watch the old dears using the remotes if you don't believe me.
    7.30 Corrie
    8.00 BBC4
    9.00 Film4

I don't think that's correct. I hardly believe any old folks home would even know where Film4 is. It is constant RTE1 all day in the one I visit. And I would imagine that is the case for most older viewers - RTE1 is the default channel, and gets viewers no matter what is on (apart from that dreadful lottery show).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

7.30 Corrie
    8.00 BBC4
    9.00 Film4

The idea behind TV channels is most certainly to build brands and build nights. ITV won't be a dark drama on Saturday evening but will pile "family" orientated shows together. Keeping audience is absolutely a science.

They understand you can choose what to watch, they just prefer if you let them choose.

Unless you think marketing doesn't work at all and people choose what they really want all the time?

Dodge wrote: »
    Unless you think marketing doesn't work at all and people choose what they really want all the time?

They tend to use the menu presented - all 57 channels and nothing on as Bruce said. Marketing (specifically advertising) is rubbish and wasted on the vast majority of the population - I know it's necessary to produce TV so we play along - but you don't honestly expect me to buy a new laptop because the guy off Harvey Norman roared at me on the TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

They tend to use the menu presented - all 57 channels and nothing on as Bruce said. Marketing (specifically advertising) is rubbish and wasted on the vast majority of the population - I know it's necessary to produce TV so we play along - but you don't honestly expect me to buy a new laptop because the guy off Harvey Norman roared at me on the TV.

I don't expect you to do anything

But people buy stuff from Harvey Norman even though they can get it cheaper elsewhere and even more conveniently.

Whether you succumb to advertising or not, the multi-billion euro/pound/dollar industry suggests some do.

Dodge wrote: »
    I don't expect you to do anything

But people buy stuff from Harvey Norman even though they can get it cheaper elsewhere and even more conveniently.

Whether you succumb to advertising or not, the multi-billion euro/pound/dollar industry suggests some do.

I agree with you - its just I'm a more of a stick in the mud than a fashion victim. I do have friends who need the latest gadgets and smartphones. My museum piece Nokia does me grand for taking and making calls. Speaking for myself, ads mean nothing - them...not so sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

In the ratings, seems like the soaps have fallen dramatically. Coronation Street averaging 300,000. A soap which TV3 got a lot more before, even though they didn't have 'exclusivity'.

its a disaster for them really. and they have noone to blame but themselves. It does really seem they have not bought any rights(or cant because ITV have first run uk and irl rights) to the stuff that is not ITV studios stuff. thats why they put on 5 year old episodes of Doc Martin which given the choice most would watch Safehouse or codebreakers..both non itv studios programmes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Where did you dig the number from, can't find them on the TAM website.

Paddypower might be offering odds soon on the demise of UTV Direland.

Where did you dig the number from, can't find them on the TAM website.

They're on medialive. They are Adults 15+ figures.

The TAM website is absolutely awful. They've cut back from giving us a weekly top 10, to a monthly top 10 of a month that was a while ago.

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-news/pat-kenny-in-the-round-to-broadcast-on-monday-nights-on-utv-ireland-31185231.html

Monday night at 9pm set for Pat Kenny's new show. Up against the News and Claire Byrne on RTE1. Probably their best time for UTV launch it - after the normally rated highest episode of Corrie during the week.

• Advertisement

Utv Direland keep on messing up.Pat Kenny on Monday night will not survive good ITV Drama also on Monday nights at 9 pm.More and more people are switching to free to air satellite.Pat Kenny on Mopnday nights will lead to people switching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Show starts tonight, have to say timing wise it must be the worst time ever to put a chat show on, they should have went with Sunday nights around 9.30.

Tonights looks like an hours worth with Mickey Harte, I originally thought it was a chat show with multiple guests something like Graham Norton, quick chat and next guest.

Show starts tonight, have to say timing wise it must be the worst time ever to put a chat show on, they should have went with Sunday nights around 9.30.

Tonights looks like an hours worth with Mickey Harte, I originally thought it was a chat show with multiple guests something like Graham Norton, quick chat and next guest.

It sounds awful and its up against Gotham and Game of Thrones,so it wont effect my Monday nights viewing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

zorro2566 wrote: »
    It sounds awful and its up against Gotham and Game of Thrones,so it wont effect my Monday nights viewing!

Seems a strange choice to stick it up against the 9pm news as well? :confused:

I won't be watching.. no interest in GAA anyway but it seems like a strange night to have this on as well. As said above this show seems like more of a weekend format.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

After 4 months on the air i was expecting an improvement in the schedule. They have made no effort whatsoever.
    No doubt Pats guests are from the usual suspects and the show will be just another damp squib. I always considered TV3 and 3e to be rubbish but this excuse for a tv channel is worse.
    They must have an ulterior motive for going on air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

It's a weak opening for UTV Ireland's first and only entertainment show. It's not live, they had months to find a big name, and they haven't done it.

They try to hype it by calling it Mickey Harte's "first in-depth television interview since the tragic death of his daughter, Michaela", but that's mainly because he fell out with RTE and won't talk to them.

Anybody who receives ITV will realise what a load of rubbish is being foisted on its captive audience by UTV Direland.UPC has not removed this rubbish from its channel lineup.ITV wales can be relayed to its captive audience thus freeing them from the mediocrity of UTV Direland.IFf you want to lose money,back horses,if you want to burn money buy shares in UTV Direland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,981 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Skid X wrote: »
    They try to hype it by calling it Mickey Harte's "first in-depth television interview since the tragic death of his daughter, Michaela", but that's mainly because he fell out with RTE and won't talk to them.
    What happened there? He was all over the place for a while, doing reality shows and everything...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

He didn't like his team criticised and allegedly told them not to give interviews to RTE because of a radio sketch he felt was insensitive to his family. Terrible choice of interviewee imo.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    He didn't like his team criticised and allegedly told them not to give interviews to RTE because of a radio sketch he felt was insensitive to his family. Terrible choice of interviewee imo.

Yes, they have a few already in the can - why lead off with somebody who is only of interest to GAA people. I know about the daughter but anybody who reads the papers knows the facts of that case.
    I assume that they still believe we're in 2 channel land and that this would present an alternative to Claire Byrne and the referendum. It might be advisable for the UTV Ireland bosses to take a holiday here - maybe talk to some locals. It's on a map, folks....little green lump to the left of the UK.

As for Kenny, he's collecting cash....probably hoping he can duck out in time to get a new deal somewhere else for next years election.

• Advertisement
Advertisement