Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The UTV Ireland Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Thargor wrote: »
    What happened there? He was all over the place for a while, doing reality shows and everything...

He was offended by this sketch which made reference in passing to his late Daughter in 2011. Neither him nor his team have spoken to RTE since.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/talk-to-the-red-hand-tyrone-continue-rte-boycott-31035401.html
    Tyrone were initially upset that details of a letter that manager Mickey Harte sent to RTE were leaked.

They were particularly aggrieved subsequently at a sketch on a satirical radio show that was regarded as very insensitive in the light of the tragic death of Harte's late daughter Michaela McAreavey.
    RTE issued a public apology but neither Harte, nor his players, have done interviews with Montrose since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Totally missed that thanks, cant listen to the sketch at work but they're sticking to their guns 4 years on anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭iseegirls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

I love how the adverts for their pride of Ireland awards features that well known Gael Olly Murs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

His ratings will go up....Navratilova will pull in a few (unlike Harte, she rarely does interviews), Lulu is always good for a laugh.
    Most GoT punters are downloading and have seen the show minus adbreaks on Monday morning.
    The fact is he can spend one hour interviewing Jesus Christ and John Lennon debating organised religion....pull in global audiences of 1 billion plus. It will not save the other 6 days and 23 hours of the channel.
    Foyles War is airing this week....those of us who cared watched in January thanks to piracy or Sky. Those of you catching up have ITV3 on the weekends and I envy you. As the end of war nears it gets better and better.
    Anyone in ITV Ireland should take a look at what BBC4 are doing...a slow month....all those dead hours of reruns can be replaced with potters hands and trippy runs through the national gallery sans voiceover. You'll get every stoner and student on board and get to call cheap artistic. Worked for Warhol.

Skid X wrote: »
    He was offended by this sketch which made reference in passing to his late Daughter in 2011. Neither him nor his team have spoken to RTE since.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/talk-to-the-red-hand-tyrone-continue-rte-boycott-31035401.html
    WTF was that? :confused:

That was supposed to be a sketch? That was actually broadcast on RTE?

WTF was that? :confused:

That was supposed to be a sketch? That was actually broadcast on RTE?

Sure did, back in 2011. It was in response to Mickey Harte trying to dictate to RTE who they should have commentating on their games, which was ridiculous on his part (although it doesn't in any way justify that nasty radio sketch)

http://balls.ie/news/mickey-harte-and-tyrone-explain-rte-boycott/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭Clitheroekid

I looked up ITV London online for tv schedule to escape UTV Direland. Online tv guide has regions listed,ROI is included in regions.It is nice to know that online tv guide people appreciate its ROI audience.There was a trailer during the Scammers documentry highlighting a 3 part drama on ITV in JuneI

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-news/pat-kennys-utv-ratings-slump-to-less-than-half-launch-show-as-chris-hadfield-fails-to-take-off-31237763.html

Things do not go well.

Losses also revised upwards yet again from €8million in March to a projected €12million now.

Time to bury the stillborn I would suggest, and Im sure shareholders will agree. Return UTV NI to the airwaves in the Republic before the current monstrosity drags UTV Media down the drain

Larbre34 wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-news/pat-kennys-utv-ratings-slump-to-less-than-half-launch-show-as-chris-hadfield-fails-to-take-off-31237763.html

Things do not go well.

Losses also revised upwards yet again from €8million in March to a projected €12million now.

Time to bury the stillborn I would suggest, and Im sure shareholders will agree. Return UTV NI to the airwaves in the Republic before the current monstrosity drags UTV Media down the drain

If UTV Ireland goes (it wont though),Sky viewers will lose out as UTV was not on the Sky epg previously!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

they are in it for the long haul. the first year although dreadful is never going to make a station. They need to learn from the audience that showing shows 2 months after they appear on the original ITV is a non-runner. I suspect that the schedule will change substantially to cheaper programming if the original irish programming rates badly though.

they are in it for the long haul. the first year although dreadful is never going to make a station. They need to learn from the audience that showing shows 2 months after they appear on the original ITV is a non-runner. I suspect that the schedule will change substantially to cheaper programming if the original irish programming rates badly though.

They need to keep it close to the UTV/ITV schedule, which is what most people want!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

UTV Ireland are failing miserably to engage with their audience, with whatever attempts to do so, falling spectacularly flat. Any ‘local’ programming that they have attempted has had a very weird anglicized slant – Christine Beakley’s Wild Ireland, Terry Wogan’s Ireland, Amanda Byram - all popular UK-based Irish personalities. It simply reeks of an office of executives in London drawing up a list of Irish celebrities that they’ve heard of. Even Pat Kenny is subjecting us to an hour long interview with Lulu next week..

Dreadful, derivative rubbish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

They're going to have to undertake a fundamental review of their strategy if they want to remain on air. Their attitude to their Irish audience is derogatory to put it mildly. Expecting people who have had ordinary UTV for years to put up with repeats, instead of new series of long running programmes, and then producing the insulting excuse that it 'gives people who haven't seen them a chance to catch up' is not going to win viewers over.
    I agree with a previous poster. They really seem to think we have little alternative here in Ireland and that they almost have a captive audience. I hope their abysmal viewing figures and huge losses are now telling them different and that they will start to provide a proper service to their Irish audience.

• Advertisement

Their Pat Kenny chat show is getting less figures what was previously there - Doc Martin which was shown originally in 2013.

They'll have to get out that wonderful audience research team back in, whom gave them this great nugget of info when they decided to move the news back to the exact same time as TV3's:
    We carried out significant research with our audience which indicated the desire for an earlier teatime news and we are, therefore, moving Ireland Live to meet those demands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭brian_t

A Disgrace wrote: »
    Even Pat Kenny is subjecting us to an hour long interview with Lulu next week..

I thought the Chris Hatfield interview might have done better for them. I can't see Lulu improving things.

I see the Mickey Harte interview is been shown on UTV proper (not Ireland) on Monday next in what they call a 'one-off special'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Watching tv3 and Irish TV more than this channel.
    Now that's really saying something........

Their predicted first year losses have doubled or trebled in the first twelve months. That would involve a stern meeting with the bank manager for any start-up. Its an obvious fact that they have failed the viewing public - so what ?...we switch provider or download what we want. No great hassle. However, some people out there who invested in this have been had. I'm still guessing nobody sensible would have gone into this as a major shareholder for a profit - therefore a very predictable loss resulting in some sort of tax dodge is my best guess.

May it sink soon....my sympathies to anyone who left another job in the hopes that this would lead somewhere. If it means anything, Pat Kenny didn't pass the audition for Bosco back in the day and it led to other things for him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

To have nothing on after 12 is a bloody joke, it would remind you of RTE back in the 80's.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

ITV in the 1990s and much of the 2000s once ran a full Nightime schedule and many of the programmes had a cult following. But it abandoned it a few years ago. Many of the sort of programmrs ITV Nightime ran would now be seen on BBC Three, ITV2, or any of the numerous cable channels that didn't exist back then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Surely having programs on throughout the night doesn't cost that much. Even 3e manage it.

icdg wrote: »
    ITV in the 1990s and much of the 2000s once ran a full Nightime schedule and many of the programmes had a cult following. But it abandoned it a few years ago.

Some great shows in the night time - The Haunted Fishtank and Jerry Springer were perfect telly during the school holidays

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

icdg wrote: »
    ITV in the 1990s and much of the 2000s once ran a full Nightime schedule and many of the programmes had a cult following. But it abandoned it a few years ago. Many of the sort of programmrs ITV Nightime ran would now be seen on BBC Three, ITV2, or any of the numerous cable channels that didn't exist back then.

I'm reminded of Granada's Night Time service...

...and HTV's Night Club.

Surely having programs on throughout the night doesn't cost that much. Even 3e manage it.

It looks like they've stopped showing the Babestation ladies, though.

Which is actually no major loss - Babestation's target audience is stoned men and insomniacs, plus the ladies aren't really all that attractive. :o:o:o:o:o;)

I see UTV Ireland running trailers for Safe House (the Christopher Eccleston Mini series which was on ITV last month), saying it is "coming soon"

Better than nothing, but not nearly good enough. Most people who are interested will have found alternative ways to view it by then.

Skid X wrote: »
    I see UTV Ireland running trailers for Safe House (the Christopher Eccleston Mini series which was on ITV last month), saying it is "coming soon"

Better than nothing, but not nearly good enough. Most people who are interested will have found alternative ways to view it by then.

Great, I missed it after ep 1 as I couldn't record it from ITV. It starts next Saturday night at 9.30.

The Ireland Live News at 5.30 got 21,300 this week so far. Down around 10,000 on what the 6.30 bulletin would get.

TV3, 3e, RTE1, RTE2, BBC1 all beating it at that time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,723 ✭✭✭serfboard

iseegirls wrote: »
    The Ireland Live News at 5.30 got 21,300 this week so far.
    Jaysus - even if only one third of the population of Galway City was watching it you'd have more numbers than that.

Those numbers are shockingly bad.

The backers better add some extra depth to their pockets ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

so most of their budget was targeted at news as original audience builders. I guess its now officially in the realms of Sky News Ireland disaster territory with little prospect of gaining new audience. they are now showing Safe House on a Saturday Night - a full month after it started. I would hazard a guess that Paul O Grady at 5 PM if it was on UTV IRL at 5pm would get at least double the news audience as he is very popular.

so most of their budget was targeted at news as original audience builders. I guess its now officially in the realms of Sky News Ireland disaster territory with little prospect of gaining new audience. they are now showing Safe House on a Saturday Night - a full month after it started. I would hazard a guess that Paul O Grady at 5 PM if it was on UTV IRL at 5pm would get at least double the news audience as he is very popular.

I'm sure any show would rate more successfully than the news in the current timeslot. They should be providing an alternative to what RTE and TV3 are showing. The News at 10pm seems to be doing ok - as it's not clashing with other news items, but placing their evening news at the same time of TV3's makes no sense.

• Advertisement

They needed to target TG4 and soak up the Irish documentary market. Show short films. Invest less and gamble on local talent. Instead they went for a quick buck and failed. I don't know how many animation studios we have producing output that is Oscar nomination worthy. Give John Waters a conspiracy show (just tell him it's investigative). He'd do it and I have popcorn.
    Anyone who invested in this with the intent of making money deserves to lose their cash as they needed a lesson. Anyone who took them for what they were worth (PK etc.), I salute you.
    Now can we please have UTV Proper back and forget this embarrassment ever happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

Now can we please have UTV Proper back and forget this embarrassment ever happened.

A country of this size really can’t sustain (nor does it require) FOUR indigenous networks (and their various compartments) – especially when you consider the amount of foreign channels we have here too. The three main players cover off everything that’s need in my opinion and UTV Ireland was just trying to replicate what we already have RTE: Public Service, News & Current Affairs, Culture, Sports TG4: Irish language, Niche interest, Documentary TV3: Light entertainment, Women’s interest, Reality TV There was nothing left for them to go for, other than attempt to diminish one of the other lots share – instead, they simply helped distribute the old UTV audience around the other channels – a total disaster

Give John Waters a conspiracy show (just tell him it's investigative). He'd do it and I have popcorn.
    Dont give that pr1ck a cent :mad:

Dont give that pr1ck a cent :mad:

..in the interests of fairness and balance Mick Wallace can have a "25 things to do with a stepladder" show directly following.
    ...and Joan Collins can interview Joan Collins.

Bible Readings from David Quinn instead of sexlines.

Instead of Pat Kenny, we'll poach Marty Morrissey to do GAA Greatest Moments of Violence and male grooming tips.

I could knock that channel into shape with homegrown turnips in no time flat.

Advertising on UTV Direland is a total waste of money.Companies probably aware of the total lack of interest of viewers.I know many people have escaped this rubbish channel by having free to air tv reception installed.Some tvs have built in satellite tuners.Xoro HD satellite receiver has a recorder which records programmes onto a USB flash drive.ITV has gained a huge audience in ROI,thanks to the mediocrity offered by UTV Direland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I would have thought the viewing figures would be a bit better since they moved the news to 5.30 instead of worse!

There must be a lot of head scratching at Head Office wondering how they can turn things around for the channel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭NormanNicetouch

Surely the obvious place for the bulletin would be 5pm to get on ahead of the competition? They would be the go-to channel on busy news days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭Stillhouette

UTV Direland

How witty of you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭todolist

Why was this chage made? Who's behind it? I pay UPC for ITV yet I get this bull****.

• Advertisement

I was reading about the melee after the Motherwell Rangers playoff game online when an add for this stupid channel appeared showing Pat Kenny.What a waste of money,who cares whats on this rubbish channel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,310 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I was reading about the melee after the Motherwell Rangers playoff game online when an add for this stupid channel appeared showing Pat Kenny.What a waste of money,who cares whats on this rubbish channel?

Considering you're now commenting about their ads appearing online, I think you care more than anyone else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Dodge wrote: »
    Considering you're now commenting about their ads appearing online, I think you care more than anyone else

I would say a tad obsessed.

lertsnim,explain what "a tad obsessed" means.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭lertsnim

lertsnim,explain what "a tad obsessed" means.

When a UTV Ireland advert produces something like your post then it is not a normal complaint. It is an advert. The only thing that replaced was another advert.
    There are people posting who have a soft spot for UTV Direland and who do not appreciate the frustration felt by UPCs captive audience.Get rand post some messages so thay UTV Media will get the message.No more smart assed stupid comments.Idiots like you deserve UTV Diremland.

Abusing people who don't share your thoughts shows you don't have an argument.

Because I don't share your dislike of UTV Ireland does not mean I have a soft spot for them. I believe their schedule is lazy and adds nothing to Irish broadcasting. What people like you seem to selectively forget is ITV is still available freely to anyone who wants it.

"Oh but my landlord won't allow me to have a dish". That's a case of tough luck, the same tough luck satellite viewers had for years when they had no ITV at all.

And UTV Direland, that's as childish as someone who says $ky or Sly instead of Sky.

You obviously have time to compose posts about nothing,lersnim.I recieve ITV HD on my own self installed system.I am in touch with the real world and a complaiont is a complaint .Full stop.Having the time to ananyse it says a lot about you.Do you ananyse all trivial comments made,it must be head wrecking to be such a nit picker.People must be wary of you in case you accuse them of saying something that collides with your comfort zone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

MOD:
    Quit the bickering please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Why is Pat Kenny's show described as "In The Round" when the audience is only on one side ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭brian_t

Ally Dick wrote: »
    Why is Pat Kenny's show described as "In The Round" when the audience is only on one side ?

It's recorded in the Round Room in the Mansion House in Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

todolist wrote: »
    Why was this chage made? Who's behind it? I pay UPC for ITV yet I get this bull****.

maybe if you complain they'll give you a €25 discount.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 76 ✭✭Puddle Q

Ah it's an awful channel. Completely pointless. I'd wonder what sort of analysis was done at all ahead of launch.

• Advertisement
Advertisement