Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The UTV Ireland Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭brian_t

I see TV3 are going to have it on Sundays after all, but not until 10.15...

Can you link to this please.

brian_t wrote: »
    Can you link to this please.

The reason I ask is because your post sounds very like this below but it's from 2011.
    Just to confirm Downton Abbey will start this coming Sunday at 10.15pm. Apologies for any confusion but the change in the schedule was due to circumstances beyond the control of TV3.
    https://www.facebook.com/TVThreeIreland/posts/10150296610059538

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

The reason I ask is because your post sounds very like this below but it's from 2011.

https://www.facebook.com/TVThreeIreland/posts/10150296610059538

Oops. I seem to have got confused. Yes, that is the post I read. I was googling UTV Ireland and Downton Abbey and that came up.

So we'll have to wait until Tuesday nights then :mad:

And I agree, even if UTV Ireland went TV3 would continue to show DA at a later time. But we would have the option of watching it earlier on UTV NI. That choice has been removed from UPC viewers by imposing UTV Ireland on us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Its over at 10 PM . The first rips will go up about 10 to 15 minutes after. You may have to wait until Monday morning for full 720p depending on the release group. By end of work Monday, it will be freely available due to common sense and courtesy.
    UTV Ireland are done - they won't be able to compete in a Christmas market and will have tucked tail and gone. Good riddance to a tax dodge.
    Hopefully Kenny will be left suffer in the same wilderness that Marty Whelan was left in over Century. Many lower paid people took a gamble on this and face a dole queue - he should do a wilderness year or so too.
    RTE and TV3 will wait until the dead bird dies before they pick up what they fancy from the ashes. The final season of Downton is their last attack on the TV viewers of Ireland. Pity them as they die.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Pat Kenny has the Newstalk show as his bread and butter, UTV doesn't matter

Pat Kenny has the Newstalk show as his bread and butter, UTV doesn't matter

UTV Ireland never mattered. Piracy supplied the quality shows they denied us. Incompetence supplied their news feed. Repeats of ancient reality shows supplied their other output. Kenny's own miniscule input proved his dedication to the misadventure.
    The autopsy will need to ask one question - why did it come into existence ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Hopefully Kenny will be left suffer in the same wilderness that Marty Whelan was left in over Century. Many lower paid people took a gamble on this and face a dole queue - he should do a wilderness year or so too.

That is a ridiculous comment. He is a self employed presenter who took a paid job. He didn't get paid in blood diamonds, there is absolutely no reason he or anyone else should be force to endure a "wilderness year".

UTV Ireland is not the broadcasting wing of ISIS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

UTV Ireland never mattered. Piracy supplied the quality shows they denied us. Incompetence supplied their news feed. Repeats of ancient reality shows supplied their other output. Kenny's own miniscule input proved his dedication to the misadventure.
    The autopsy will need to ask one question - why did it come into existence ?
    I'll be honest. Your anger towards a TV station makes me want to see it succeed. I find it hilarious

• Advertisement

Dodge wrote: »
    I'll be honest. Your anger towards a TV station makes me want to see it succeed. I find it hilarious

As a comedy it does have potential - but don't put any money on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Skid X wrote: »
    UTV Ireland is not the broadcasting wing of ISIS.

Though judging by some of the naff output you'd be forgiven for thinking it was the recruitment wing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭Clitheroekid

It seems that posters are supposed to adhere to nonexistant rules do not express anger towards this pathetic station,do not speak about a broadcaster who is obliged to keep working as a result of inveating in schemes and taking a huge hit.The majority of posters are content to read and not pass judgement on anybody.Utv Ireland has been imposed on people who paid up on the expectation of receivingUTV NI in their chosen bundle pathetic minority are of the opinion that you stick to their agenda,appear smart and belittle others..

Do you honestly think a 55 page thread doesn't contain plenty of deserved stick for the channels/providers?

But posting the same complaints on each of those pages helps no one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭Clitheroekid

.complaints whatever they are reinforces the message being sent to UTV Ireland,we do not want this rubbish channel now or ever,no matter what has beens you employ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

.complaints whatever they are reinforces the message being sent to UTV Ireland,we do not want this rubbish channel now or ever,no matter what has beens you employ.

Surely you'd be better off emailing the complaint directly to them rather than assuming that they're here reading a thread on Boards.ie

Personally for the little I watched UTV NI I'm not too affected either way - it was a far bigger loss to me when Cablelink and Sky had a falling out in the early 90s which resulted in Sky One being withdrawn as it was actually GOOD back then :) - but if someone really wants the NI version there's always Freesat or apps like FilmOn in the meantime.

In the medium term if things continue as they are, I'd expect UTV Ireland to be wound down by the end of the year, possibly replaced by the return of UTV NI on January 1st? Or of course, the rumored sell-off to ITV may result in a different scenario entirely.

What's really on UTV NI/ITV 1 anyway that's so unique? The soaps are being carried, the Champions League is gone to BT, X-Factor is simulcast on TV3 and everything else (eg: Downton Abbey) that's noteworthy follows a few days later... or mere hours later on the "usual places" :)

In short, it seems a waste of energy to get so annoyed about a (IMO) mediocre TV channel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭iseegirls

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Personally for the little I watched UTV NI I'm not too affected either way - it was a far bigger loss to me when Cablelink and Sky had a falling out in the early 90s which resulted in Sky One being withdrawn as it was actually GOOD back then :)

I was just thinking about that today. Could you imagine if we had facebook,twitter and boards back then? :eek: The abuse they would get.

I think this is UTV Ireland's last show to ride the storm out on. Everything else like I'm A Celeb, Ant&Dec will be on UTVi, with programmes like BGT and X Factor being simulcast on TV3. Maybe when the Euro's 2016 are on it may creep up again - but whether they will be around at that time is another thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,995 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

blue4ever wrote: »
    The top ten programmed on UTV (B.I!) in November 2014 in the republic (Most up to date info in ranked in order of popularity - i don't have numbers)

Downton Abbey
    I'm A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here!
    Coronation Street
    The X Factor Results
    The X Factor
    Lewis
    Uefa Champions League
    Emmerdale
    Grantchester
    The Chase: Celebrity Specials

Grantchester is on tomorrow night at 9, is this first showing or repeat?

zorro2566 wrote: »
    I am more concerned that they seem to have stopped showing Benidorm. It's not on next Tuesday having just finished series 5 this week!

Season 6 starts this Sunday at 10.30pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    That's a repeat of series one, Liz.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Repeat from ITV but first showing on UTV Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Does anyone know if UTV Ireland will be showing Midwinter of the Spirit?

It started last night on UTV and ITV.

Cheers

Cheers

They normally air new shows about 6 months after the initial run. I'd get Midwinter through alternative means as I doubt UTV Ireland will be around next year and it may be some time before ITV itself repeats it.
    It is worth a watch.

They normally air new shows about 6 months after the initial run. I'd get Midwinter through alternative means as I doubt UTV Ireland will be around next year and it may be some time before ITV itself repeats it.
    It is worth a watch.

The Trials Of Jimmy Rose ran simultaneously with ITV, recently!

I saw a trailer for Midwinter on UTV Ireland recently among other clips for forthcoming dramas on the channel for the Autumn.

What are the details of the new UTV Ireland Autumn schedule? Tried googling and nothing showed up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭serfboard

Heard an ad on Galway Bay FM for the EY Entrepreneur of the year programme on UTV. It's a 4-part series starting next Monday. To be fair, I remember when it was on RTE before - Padraig O'Ceidigh did it and he visited the entrepreneurs. A pretty interesting programme, IMO.

Thought it was a bit bizzare however, to hear an ad for it on local radio - until I remembered that Galway Bay FM is owned by UTV Media ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭iseegirls

What are the details of the new UTV Ireland Autumn schedule? Tried googling and nothing showed up?

A very below key launch. Not much to shout about really. Seemed like they flew over a few Corrie stars to fluff up the event.

http://www.evoke.ie/showbiz/corrie-stars-in-dublin
    http://www.evoke.ie/showbiz/lorraine-keane-utv-series-the-interview

Only these 4 programmes mentioned:
    ‘Along Homes Shores’ which will see see broadcaster, entrepreneur and avid sailor, Bobby Kerr, travel our shores to meet various businesspeople who rely on our coastline for their livelihood.

‘Daniel and Majella’s B&B Road Trip’ follows Daniel and Majella as they travel the length and breadth of the country, staying with B&B owners, who also act as local tour guides and activity organisers.

Lorraine Keane looks to back in the celebrity world, and is set to front 'The Interview', a half-hour one-to-one slot with "famous faces".

'Home Truths from Abroad' will follow the real stories behind some of Ireland’s diaspora

The Trials Of Jimmy Rose ran simultaneously with ITV, recently!

I saw a trailer for Midwinter on UTV Ireland recently among other clips for forthcoming dramas on the channel for the Autumn.

Yes, and Doc Martin is going out simultaneously too. However, they're showing the first season of Grantchester again while Midwinter is on UTV proper.

Yes, and Doc Martin is going out simultaneously too. However, they're showing the first season of Grantchester again while Midwinter is on UTV proper.

UTV Ireland have never shown Grantchester before!

UTV Ireland have never shown Grantchester before!

It aired on UTV less than 12 months ago. Every UPC subscriber with an interest saw it then. The first season on UTV Ireland will be exactly the same as the first season on UTV then. The ads will be different. I realise the programmers at UTV Ireland are not very good at this TV lark and don't like it much - but most people don't watch TV for the ads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

iseegirls wrote: »
    A very below key launch. Not much to shout about really. Seemed like they flew over a few Corrie stars to fluff up the event.

http://www.evoke.ie/showbiz/corrie-stars-in-dublin
    http://www.evoke.ie/showbiz/lorraine-keane-utv-series-the-interview

Only these 4 programmes mentioned:
    ‘Along Homes Shores’ which will see see broadcaster, entrepreneur and avid sailor, Bobby Kerr, travel our shores to meet various businesspeople who rely on our coastline for their livelihood.

‘Daniel and Majella’s B&B Road Trip’ follows Daniel and Majella as they travel the length and breadth of the country, staying with B&B owners, who also act as local tour guides and activity organisers.

Lorraine Keane looks to back in the celebrity world, and is set to front 'The Interview', a half-hour one-to-one slot with "famous faces".

'Home Truths from Abroad' will follow the real stories behind some of Ireland’s diaspora

Oh yeah what a great broadcaster we have here eh. :rolleyes:

This is pitiful stuff coming out from UTV Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

It is worth a watch.

Thanks for the response.

Why do you believe UTV Ireland will be gone next year?

And will anther ITV channel replace it? My mother watches Cornation Street will be miffed if it goes.

Thanks for the response.

Why do you believe UTV Ireland will be gone next year?

And will anther ITV channel replace it? My mother watches Cornation Street will be miffed if it goes.

They're losing money hand over fist (way more than anticipated). If it were a pub or a shop, I'd be making the same predictions.
    Coronation Street comes with millions of viewers. it will be picked up by someone for the Irish market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Coronation Street comes with millions of viewers. it will be picked up by someone for the Irish market.

If UTV Ireland does indeed disappear into oblivion, then the odds of Corrie and Emmerdale going back to TV3 will probably be quite short.

Meanwhile, who else can't help but feel that it's more a matter of when, rather than if, UTV NI will be sold to ITV plc? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭marbless

UTV Ireland means we're stuck with TV3 for the Rugby World Cup, with no access to ITV's coverage.

Help!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

You could go round all your neighbours and ask can you watch on Sky, like some gaa fans had to this year....or watch on filmon app....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

serfboard wrote: »

Thought it was a bit bizzare however, to hear an ad for it on local radio - until I remembered that Galway Bay FM is owned by UTV Media ...

No it's not. It's owned by the connacht tribune. It has a sales deal with utv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭serfboard

serfboard wrote: »
    No it's not. It's owned by the connacht tribune. It has a sales deal with utv.

Really? You better tell that to RTE
    RTE wrote:
    UTV Media also owns a number of radio stations in Ireland and Britain including FM104 in Dublin, Galway Bay FM and Talksport in London.
    the Indo
    UTV Radio Ireland ... comprises seven Irish radio stations, including Q102, FM104 and Galway Bay FM
    and Joe.ie
    Joe.ie wrote:
    UTV Media also own a number of radio stations around Ireland including Dublin's FM 104 and Galway Bay FM.

You can tell them yourself. They're wrong

This is from the UTV Media website. A far better source than joe.ie
    https://www.utvmedia.com/radio/default.aspx?areaid=100001

Galway Bay FM is "independently owned" and not owned by UTV

It does have a sales agreement with UTV
    http://www.utvradiosolutions.ie/

Cheers

The first episode is on UTV Ireland at 9:00pm on Thursday 8th October

• Advertisement

Cheers
    The first episode is on UTV Ireland at 9:00pm on Thursday 8th October

UTVI do themselves no favours with this practice of deferred scheduling of ITV dramas. If they are waiting to see what viewing figures the shows get on ITV before they cough up for the rights, that's not good enough in 2015. It illustrates their low regard for Republic of Ireland viewers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

The Sunday Times is reporting that ITV plc is set to acquire UTV this week for around £100 million.

It's easy to say that this would have never come about if UTV Ireland had never been considered.

But to play devil's advocate: given that UTV NI's schedules aren't really all that different from those of ITV in England and Wales these days, and that UTV Media seem more interested in their radio stations anyway, might it not be possible that this sale was always on the cards? :o

When it does go through, though, one gathers that Julian Simmons will be made redundant - which would be to the relief of just about everyone. :o:D;)

It would probably also mean the return to Irish screens of ITV Nightscreen. That, too, would be a good thing - it's infinitely better than cheap infomercials from the US, simply because of its soundtracks... :o:o:D;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

when is pat kenny politics / current affairs show starting?

But to play devil's advocate: given that UTV NI's schedules aren't really all that different from those of ITV in England and Wales these days, and that UTV Media seem more interested in their radio stations anyway, might it not be possible that this sale was always on the cards? :o

Until the UTV Ireland debacle, UTV (The original TV station) was ticking along nicely making a decent return for their owners.

UTV plc never showed any interest in selling their television operations to ITV until now. Their hand has been forced because UTV Ireland's disastrous performance would sink the entire group in due course unless it improved significantly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

So what will this mean for UTV Ireland?

I assume it means that flagship shows like Downton (too late for that one in particular) will run simultaneously with the UK once again and the ghastly little repeats throwback that was UTV Ireland will just be a bad memory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Or we may lose ITV/UTV entirely from Sky subscriptions... they've never been bothered with making their channels available on the EPG - it's only due to Freesat that we get them at all.

Cable may be more complicated as they have/do existed there, but I don't see us getting UTV NI back.. the whole lot may be rebranded into ITV 1 NI but what we get here is wide open (maybe blocked programming as on UPC's ITV 4).

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Or we may lose ITV/UTV entirely from Sky subscriptions... they've never been bothered with making their channels available on the EPG - it's only due to Freesat that we get them at all.

Cable may be more complicated as they have/do existed there, but I don't see us getting UTV NI back.. the whole lot may be rebranded into ITV 1 NI but what we get here is wide open (maybe blocked programming as on UPC's ITV 4).

Don't think they would leave Sky as there is potential advertising revenue there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,716 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

when is pat kenny politics / current affairs show starting?

Think it was cancelled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,716 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

With a projected loss of over €16 million this year and no sign of things improving surely UTVI is doomed to failure?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Think it was cancelled.
    no not the round room, the new show

• Advertisement
Advertisement