Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The UTV Ireland Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

See they have S03 Mr Selfridges tonight, at least 1 show is up to date

Yup, that's a ratings flagshow for UTV. Seems they've learned from the Foyle's War fiasco.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

icdg wrote: »
    Seems Good Morning Britain will be airing on UTV Ireland from 2nd February. No announcement yet but its appearing in the advance schedules.

you've got to be kidding me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

you've got to be kidding me

Is it that bad? :o;)

As much as I'm sick and tired of Ireland I do have to live here. So Good Morning Britain is a bit daft when I'm planted in Dublin. I'll stick with Cagney and co. and hope to hell RTE resurrects Morning Edition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Seems Good Morning Britain will be airing on UTV Ireland from 2nd February. No announcement yet but its appearing in the advance schedules.

Odd branding decision - they are showing British live programmes throughout the day (and now Good Morning Britain) and then they expect viewers to tune into their made for Irish tv news programmes in the evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Odd branding decision - they are showing British live programmes throughout the day (and now Good Morning Britain) and then they expect viewers to tune into their made for Irish tv news programmes in the evening.

wonder what they'll do for news. GMB goes regional for a few minutes every hour or so, they even have one of the presenters announcing it (eg. over to belfast or their name maybe they say)

There was a demand for GMB on their social media sites, so I suppose they are giving the people what they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

well it will probably bring them a bigger audience than the rubbish they are showing at that time now. all we need now is to convince them not to bother showing repeats when they have rights to new episodes of Foyles war etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

There really was no need for this channel as it is now. If they really wanted an Irish version all they had to do is UTV NI with Irish News and ads (like how Sky have Irish ads on their main channels).

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

They were already accepting advertising from the South, and have been since the early 1980s. Setting up this channel was more about taking TV3 out of the equation than anything else. But to set up a channel targetted at the South only - not a rebroadcast - they had to acquire all the Irish rights to their programmes, which they have failed to do (and were never going to be able to in some instances eg sport).

By way of contrast, Sky and most satellite broadcasters buy Irish rights to programmes as a matter of course. The only one of the traditional 5 UK terrestrial channels that does this is Channel 4 (who, seeing the value of their Irish audience, quietly changed their terms and conditions of business to do this nearly a decade ago, and now have added the Republic of Ireland as an advertising region).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Figures out today show that only about 28000 people watch UTV Irl news on a daily basis, that's very poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Figures out today show that only about 28000 people watch UTV Irl news on a daily basis, that's very poor.

28K, jaysus, that is bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

28K, jaysus, that is bad

Yeah I was surprised myself, the top brass in UTV were playing it down but they must be disappointed by those figures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭lertsnim

That's what happens when you start half an hour after 6 one and an hour after TV3.

lertsnim wrote: »
    That's what happens when you start half an hour after 6 one and an hour after TV3.

I wouldn't count the TV3 news (which airs far too early) as the problem - the fact is that there's a history of bulletins attempting to compete against Six One (the original TV3 News@6 and Sky News Ireland) and failing spectacularly. 5:00pm is too early and 7:00pm is out due to the network schedule, so the only other thing would be to move it to 5:30pm which might be an option but would run right up against TV3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Where the **** is Sesame Street :@ it just say Teleshopping

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Chris___ wrote: »
    Where the **** is Sesame Street :@ it just say Teleshopping

On Digiguide it has it down for 7th and 8th of Feb. Although, that could change like they've done with this weekends showings.

...and no Midsomer Murders. It's only been going for 17 seasons....sure the Irish won't notice.
    Die, pisspoor channel, die.
    Only a 5 GB torrent up online so piracy is a bit of a drag with this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i'm surprised its that many

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

28K, jaysus, that is bad
    If you set up a news programme just for Cork you'd probably get more than that, total flop.

There is something really off about that news though, its hard to describe, you just don't feel engaged watching it.

Thargor wrote: »
    If you set up a news programme just for Cork you'd probably get more than that, total flop.

There is something really off about that news though, its hard to describe, you just don't feel engaged watching it.

its very dull and the set is not great with its block concept or whatever design they want to call it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Mr Wilson said, but the decision to buy breakfast television rights had come sooner than expected. Good Morning Britain was liked by viewers because it was “brand new and fresh”, he said.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/utv-ireland-to-screen-good-morning-britain-to-boost-ratings-1.2084494

really did viewers say they wanted it because it was "brand new and fresh", i doubt it, could UTV stop vomiting marketing bull**** for one second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Mr Wilson said, but the decision to buy breakfast television rights had come sooner than expected. Good Morning Britain was liked by viewers because it was “brand new and fresh”, he said.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/utv-ireland-to-screen-good-morning-britain-to-boost-ratings-1.2084494

really did viewers say they wanted it because it was "brand new and fresh", i doubt it, could UTV stop vomiting marketing bull**** for one second.

where is susanna reid, we want susanna probably wasn't the best reason to give to the press :pac:

so it will probably double the uk audience now that its available here given that the ratings are disatrous for it in the UK. :)anyway I dont watch much breakfast tv but ireland am is dreadful in saorview SD and its a glorified advert for Proctor and Gamble most days so GMB(as they want to call it) will at least give some people on saorview an alternative and give UPC viewers back a choice as well.

...and no Midsomer Murders. It's only been going for 17 seasons....sure the Irish won't notice.
    Tuesday's at 8:00pm.

• Advertisement

ireland am is dreadful in saorview SD and its a glorified advert for Proctor and Gamble most days

*shudders convulsively*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

Claire Brock seems to be anchoring the 6.30 news this evening instead of Alison

Tuesday's at 8:00pm.

Those are repeats. Wednesday at 8 PM for the new season on the real channel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

TBH I haven't watched the channel since it has launched at all. There is nothing on it to compel me to watch it. What was the reasoning behind launching it or what is its unique selling point to differentiate it from the other existing Irish Channels. If they don't do something dramatic soon they will be disappearing off the airwaves I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

That James Nesbitts Ireland is so stiff and dull, like a VHS they'd show on a tour bus, how does he make everything sound so boring?

• Advertisement

Thargor wrote: »

The main story at 6.30 today was Bertie Aherns feelings on the state of politics today. That is not a news item. Crap like this is why people aren't watching.

Did anybody watch GMB on UTV Ireland this morning? What with the usual morning rush I forgot all about it. Was there any mention of the UTV Ireland viewers joining them? Was there any UTV I new opt outs on the programme?

There was so many UPC customers begging for it surely one of them bothered to watch it.

Nobody begged for it. I haven't fully watched anything on RepeatTV since it started. I'll tune in for the closing down ceremony though.

Repeat TV?

Repeat TV?

Unless you've recently arrived from Mars, everything on it has been shown already on UTV proper. In some cases years earlier. ITV3 already exists as a catch-up service.

I am aware of what was meant. To be fair they do show programming not seen before. It's not all repeats. What tv channel is repeats free anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

I am aware of what was meant. To be fair they do show programming not seen before. It's not all repeats. What tv channel is repeats free anyway?

The sex hotline channels, dating channels, psychic TV :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

Yeah, the news.

Chris___ wrote: »
    The sex hotline channels, dating channels, psychic TV :P

Programming not adverts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

So UTV Ireland are showing Who's Doing The Dishes, a similar show to Come Dine with Me, with five shows which were shown Mon-Fri on UTV.
    UTV Ireland are showing one on a Saturday and one on a Sunday of the 5 show sequence.
    Tune in next weekend to see parts 3 & 4 and the weekend after to see the final part and part one of the next 5 show sequence. Madness

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭TOMs WIFE

So I get the feeling that most people think it wasn't a good start for UTV Ireland?

TOMs WIFE wrote: »
    So I get the feeling that most people think it wasn't a good start for UTV Ireland?

If it was a start I would have patience. Anybody can support a struggling station that's trying. This start consisted of a fart and a bellyflop. They have nothing unique to themselves and lots of things are gone.
    I sneered at TG4 when it kicked off. The sneer got wiped off my face as I realised I could suffer the subtitles to watch interesting documentaries.
    TV3 is dismal but Ireland AM is watchable if you go tape it and get the maybe 20 or 25 minutes of decent interviews between 7 and 8 AM. So kudos to Mark Cagney for the odd few minutes when he's awake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

While I can see why they are doing it why is Good Morning Britain on utv Ireland? They even renamed it in the EPG the GMB as if people wouldn't notice!

Fresh Pots wrote: »
    While I can see why they are doing it why is Good Morning Britain on utv Ireland? They even renamed it in the EPG the GMB as if people wouldn't notice!

What else would be on at time of day? Teleshopping? Jeremy Kyle? It wouldn't be a show that I'd watch but at the end of it all it is a tv show called Good Morning Britain. That is all, a name.

What else would be on at time of day? Teleshopping? Jeremy Kyle? It wouldn't be a show that I'd watch but at the end of it all it is a tv show called Good Morning Britain. That is all, a name.

It's not as good as TV-am's Good Morning Britain, though. ;);)

http://www2.tv-ark.org.uk/itvbreakfast/tvam.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Why not an original Irish programme that relates to Irish issues? I think it just goes to show how bereft they are of ideas.

Why not an original Irish programme that relates to Irish issues? I think it just goes to show how bereft they are of ideas.

Betweem 6 and 9am? That would be a waste of original Irish programming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Betweem 6 and 9am? That would be a waste of original Irish programming.

I don't see how it would be especially since they are now showing a programme dedicated to British issues, particularly in England, which are of little interest to folks here. Why would people here care about Ed Miliband or the NHS?

• Advertisement

I never suggested they would. However very few people watch tv at that time of the morning so showing something like GMB instead of jeremy kyle isn't a bad thing. GMB does do a lot of celebrity nonsense too so not all of it would be useless to viewers in Ireland. The vitriol towards this show is rather amusing.

Advertisement