Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oil Boiler Servicing

• 06-11-2013 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi, I am fairly new here, I've a query for the learned among us. I am currently unemployed. I am interested in starting oil boiler servicing. I am not in a position to go serving my time as a plumber, I am wondering is it possible for an ordinary joe to do a course in oil boiler servicing and If so where? Thanks for any insight ye may have.

Comments

Hi, I am fairly new here, I've a query for the learned among us. I am currently unemployed. I am interested in starting oil boiler servicing. I am not in a position to go serving my time as a plumber, I am wondering is it possible for an ordinary joe to do a course in oil boiler servicing and If so where? Thanks for any insight ye may have.

No(but that doesn't stop anyone)

You want to work as a tradesman when you already accept there's a fair bit of training behind that trade:confused: would you want a mechanic working on your breaks if they only had a weeks break training or would you want a time served mechanic who fully understands all aspects of mechanics?

Why would it ever be acceptable to offer a service, take money for that service and not be fully experienced on all aspects of the trade your attempting to represent.

There are courses but learning a trade requires decent training which last for more than a couple of weeks, why would you put yourself in a position where you're out of your depth from day one which can lead to costly faux pars and is it fair on the people your taking money from to make mistakes at their expense.

(Now if the above makes me sound a bit grumpy it's because i'v reached that age where grumpiness comes easy:cool:).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

gary71 wrote: »
    No(but that doesn't stop anyone)

You want to work as a tradesman when you already accept there's a fair bit of training behind that trade:confused: would you want a mechanic working on your breaks if they only had a weeks break training or would you want a time served mechanic who fully understands all aspects of mechanics?

Why would it ever be acceptable to offer a service, take money for that service and not be fully experienced on all aspects of the trade your attempting to representing.

There are courses but learning a trade requires decent training which last for more than a couple of weeks, why would you put yourself in a position where you're out of your depth from day one which can lead to costly faux pars and is it fair on the people your taking money from to make mistakes at their expense.

(Now if the above makes me sound a bit grumpy it's because i'v reached that age where grumpiness comes easy:cool:).

Totaly agree with Garry on the above ...... Including the grumpy part....
    ie. Me 2

Boiler servicing is a serious trade in which there are also some chancers that are dangerious. Some know there dangerous and some don't !

As we have seen in the past and unfortunatly will see again in the future, people have lost there lives to shoddy boiler servicing and so its a trade not to be taken lightly and think a short course will teach you how to make money.

I wish you all the best if your out to save lives and not indanger them.
    Professional Servicing comes second to the above at all times on all jobs, every day, no matter what trade.
    Money comes third.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27 polymath plumber

FAS do an evening course. Fred White teaches the oil servicing course in Dublin. Good tutor and the course is very hands on. You will not become a plumber after finishing the course. But you will be able to service the burner and boiler and solve problems with the burners and boilers .

If you do the OFTEC course after that course. It will further enhance your knowledge and skills more.

Yes its possible for you to become an oil tech with no relevant knowledge.

All the best!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

FAS do an evening course. Fred White teaches the oil servicing course in Dublin. Good tutor and the course is very hands on. You will not become a plumber after finishing the course. But you will be able to service the burner and boiler and solve problems with the burners and boilers .

Would you have them in to service your Granny's Boiler then :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

I would much prefer to have somebody service my boiler that was not in a self training mode

let em play with their own boilers

• Advertisement

If you do the OFTEC course after that course. It will further enhance your knowledge and skills more.

All the best!

No, you become a "boiler tech with no relevant knowledge;).

To do anything in life takes experience and knowledge:eek:, there are no short cuts.

Strangely enough some will get upset at the idea of having to serve their time to become a tradesman.

Nobody wins with short cuts, the "boiler tech" hasn't had enough training and can find themselves out of their depth, the customer is paying for someone with limited knowledge who needs to make mistakes in their homes to learn their trade.

Stupid people don't know their stupid(unfortunately) so allowing "boiler techs" in to a industry via a system that doesn't filter out stupidity leads to a lot of stupid "boiler techs"

I know their are some good guys who come in to the industry via these simplistic courses but the good ones are far out numbered by the fruit loops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

No, you become a "boiler tech with no relevant knowledge;).

To do anything in life takes experience and knowledge:eek:, their are no short cuts.

Strangely enough some will get upset at the idea of having to serve their time to become a tradesman.

Nobody wins with short cuts, the "boiler tech" hasn't had enough training and can find themselves out of their depth, the customer is paying for someone with limited knowledge who needs to make mistakes in their homes to learn their trade.

Stupid people don't know their stupid(unfortunately) so allowing "boiler techs" in to a industry via a system that doesn't filter out stupidity leads to a lot of stupid "boiler techs"

I know their are some good guys who come in to the industry via these simplistic courses but the good ones are far out numbered by the fruit loops.

I prefer boiler engineers than boiler technicians. I think they know more.... :rolleyes:
    Get in there my son.....

:p
    shane0007 wrote: »
    I prefer boiler engineers than boiler technicians. I think they know more.... :rolleyes:
    Get in there my son.....

unless your lucky enough to have a father in the trade then you have a great chance to start at a very young age and have all the basics in place

;););)

If he is after a carer in serving oil boilers and burners. Not installing heating systems. The knowledge of using a multi-meter and these courses will enhance his skills. In order to fault find with the burner and boiler controls and basic plumbing. These courses will give him the knowledge that in 90% of the cases are the cause of boiler/burner not working. While also allowing him to service the boiler/burners safety. The more time he puts in to studying the course criteria will reflect in his ability. However if he is not mechanically minded. He is probably better to look else where.

The course with Fred White is very hands on. Do the same course with him a few times (if needed) to build up your confidence and knowledge. Then do the Oftec course. Oftec is not as hands on .But well worth doing. I done the oftec course. I was amazed how much I thought I knew in theory , but having finished the course. I can only say ,I did not waste my time .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 478 ✭✭Stella Virgo

fas do them..heres a linky to one in shannon,
    http://jobseeker.fas.ie/Default.aspx?q=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

• Advertisement

If he is after a carer in serving oil boilers and burners. Not installing heating systems. The knowledge of using a multi-meter and these courses will enhance his skills. In order to fault find with the burner and boiler controls and basic plumbing. These courses will give him the knowledge that in 90% of the cases are the cause of boiler/burner not working. While also allowing him to service the boiler/burners safety. The more time he puts in to studying the course criteria will reflect in his ability. However if he is not mechanically minded. He is probably better to look else where.

The course with Fred White is very hands on. Do the same course with him a few times (if needed) to build up your confidence and knowledge. Then do the Oftec course. Oftec is not as hands on .But well worth doing. I done the oftec course. I was amazed how much I thought I knew in theory , but having finished the course. I can only say ,I did not waste my time .

I'm still not with you there.

How can you work/troubleshoot on any appliance if you don't fully understand the system it's connected to, how can you understand a system if you haven't at least plumbed a heating system in a college.

There isn't a national shortage of time served plumbers so introducing "boiler techs" with limited knowledge/training is silly, why dump it down?

I'm sorry for anybody out of work but is that a good enough reason to allow a person in to a industry without decent training.

Plumbers and time served engineers are sitting on their arses because their work is being taken by the influx of new entrants who are taking the work of the back of a couple of weeks training:confused:

Why has it become the norm to enter a trade with minimal training without any real qualifications?

It costs householders €1,000s to put right the problems caused by simi skilled tradesmen, what's wrong with setting a standard and having all meet that standard?

I'm still not with you there.

How can you work/troubleshoot on any appliance if you don't fully understand the system it's connected to, how can you understand a system if you haven't at least plumbed a heating system in a college.

There isn't a national shortage of time served plumbers so introducing "boiler techs" with limit knowledge/training is silly, why dump it down?

I'm sorry for anybody out of work but is that a good enough reason to allow a person in to a industry without decent training.

Plumbers and time served engineers are sitting on their arses because their work is being taken by the influx of new entrants who are taking the work of the back of a couple of weeks training:confused:

Why has it become the norm to enter a trade with minimal training without any real qualifications?

It costs householders €1,000s to put right the problems caused by simi skilled tradesmen, what's wrong with setting a standard and having all meeting that standard?

If the fault is with the burner or boiler controls or oil tank/oil lines or basic plumbing. These courses will qualify them to repair.It also allow them to service the appliance correctly with safety in mind.

I would like to see the industry regulated. However until that time comes. Anybody is welcome into the oil Industry.

The original poster asked for advice and I think I gave him a genuine answer.

If the fault is with the burner or boiler controls or oil tank/oil lines or basic plumbing. These courses will qualify them to repair.It also allow them to service the appliance correctly with safety in mind.

I would like to see the industry regulated. However until that time comes. Anybody is welcome into the oil Industry.

The original poster asked for advice and I think I gave him a genuine answer.

Again I disagree :eek:

A course that you can't fail allows those who shouldn't be in the industry into the industry, their is no fail safe to prevent those you wouldn't let light a match let alone a boiler from entering the industry.

I'v met self taught fellas who were driven to reach standards of knowledge better than my own, so I know that you don't have to have a trade back ground to succeed

I will agree:eek: that to the right candidate and if the course is done properly it will produce the right results but the right candidates are few and far between in my experience.

As a qualified tradesman i see the limitations of these courses, I wouldn't fancy starting out servicing with just my OFTEC behind me especially as a good service engineer should be driven by good customer service skills which is something not taught in training schools or colleges but passed down from engineer to apprentice.

Now I don't do oil any more after having a bucket full of cow poo thrown at my head( something else not covered by the OFTEC course;))

spoke to a guy servicing boilers recently he told me he always replaces nozzles like for like I asked if the wrong nozzle was fitted his answer scared me that's not his fault

this is whats being let loose into the industry

Again I disagree :eek:

A course that you can't fail allows those who shouldn't be in the industry into the industry, their is no fail safe to prevent those you wouldn't let light a match let alone a boiler from entering the industry.

I'v met self taught fellas who were driven to reach standards of knowledge better than my own, so I know that you don't have to have a trade back ground to succeed

I will agree:eek: that to the right candidate and if the course is done properly it will produce the right results but the right candidates are few and far between in my experience.

As a qualified tradesman i see the limitations of these courses, I wouldn't fancy starting out servicing with just my OFTEC behind me especially as a good service engineer should be driven by good customer service skills which is something not taught in training schools or colleges but passed down from engineer to apprentice.

As a qualified and experienced time served tradesman myself. Experience tells me. That the majority of tradesmen (plumbers) would be less competent than those non tradesmen in fault finding with boiler / burner controls and servicing in comparison to the guys (non plumbers) that have done these courses.

My advice to those seeking service or oil repair. Would be to employ a qualified tradesman with the relevant training and experience in that field. That holds PI cover and has a proven track record.

My experience with oil over the years is that the customers (husband, friends, Parish priest, Aunties Uncle) have all tried their hand at fixing the appliance. Before they call you and are willing to part with the money for a repair. Regulation is badly needed. Maybe an ROI like RGI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭rightjob!

so what if one of these guys does a course,hasnt a clue about heating and plumbing goes to service a boiler and something simple like the safety valve is passing?
    does he say to the customer that safety valve is passing your going to need a plumber?!i wouldnt like to be paying somebody for a service that they havent got experience in.
    simple things that an experienced plumber would see straight away theres a very good chance these lads wouldnt

rightjob! wrote: »
    so what if one of these guys does a course,hasnt a clue about heating and plumbing goes to service a boiler and something simple like the safety valve is passing?
    does he say to the customer that safety valve is passing your going to need a plumber?!i wouldnt like to be paying somebody for a service that they havent got experience in.
    simple things that an experienced plumber would see straight away theres a very good chance these lads wouldnt

Yes thats what happens. His job is not a plumber. His job is a tech.
    This happens in the gas industry all the time.

An experienced plumber can fix the plumbing related problems. But without experience and training in the servicing/repair of burners . Will create an issue of "one as bad as the other"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭rightjob!

Yes thats what happens. His job is not a plumber. His job is a tech.
    This happens in the gas industry all the time.

An experienced plumber can fix the plumbing related problems. But without experience and training in the servicing/repair of burners . Will create an issue of "one as bad as the other"

if he doesnt have experience he shouldnt be near it in the first place is what im saying.
    waste of time calling in two different lads there

rightjob! wrote: »
    if he doesnt have experience he shouldnt be near it in the first place is what im saying.
    waste of time calling in two different lads there

AS I STATED. My advice to those seeking a service or oil repair. Would be to, employ a qualified tradesman with the relevant training and experience in that field. That holds PI cover and has a proven track record.

But there is a lot of "Yosser Hughes " out there. Stick with my advice , you cant go wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

jimf wrote: »
    :p

unless your lucky enough to have a father in the trade then you have a great chance to start at a very young age and have all the basics in place

;););)

Care to elaborate?

Care to elaborate?

I think its self explanatory jack you will be coming into the industry from the right background

then kick on and do any courses you feel are necessary

I had a basic knowledge gained from an old oil guy that used to live near me
    I had no plumbing background so I feel I was lucky to have him to call on

jimf wrote: »
    I think its self explanatory jack you will be coming into the industry from the right background

then kick on and do any courses you feel are necessary

I had a basic knowledge gained from an old oil guy that used to live near me
    I had no plumbing background so I feel I was lucky to have him to call on
    Oh right sorry that does make sense!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,921 ✭✭✭gifted

Hi,

I'd like to become a heart surgeon but I don't really have the time to go down the oul college/intern route so can anybody out there point me in the direction of a few night courses so that I can become one, not really interested in the rest of the body, sure somebody else will deal with that problem :rolleyes:

Honest to God but some people have a neck, feck the people who bothered to do an apprenticeship and put in the hard yards, they think that they can slip in the back door...do your time like the rest of us tradesmen :mad:

gifted wrote: »
    Hi,

I'd like to become a heart surgeon but I don't really have the time to go down the oul college/intern route so can anybody out there point me in the direction of a few night courses so that I can become one, not really interested in the rest of the body, sure somebody else will deal with that problem :rolleyes:

Honest to God but some people have a neck, feck the people who bothered to do an apprenticeship and put in the hard yards, they think that they can slip in the back door...do your time like the rest of us tradesmen :mad:

Ah but they will say you didn't serve your time in oil burner service commissioning etc!

Ah but they will say you didn't serve your time in oil burner service commissioning etc!

Well then they can kiss my time served ass :D

Hi,

ABSOLUTE NONSENSE. The profession of a heart surgeon and the trade of a plumber. Has no comparison or relevance to this thread . Do not start the "lives are at risk with gas / oil." "CRAP". Your life is at risk if you do not know "the safe cross code".

ABSOLUTE NONSENSE. The profession of a heart surgeon and the trade of a plumber. Has no comparison or relevance to this thread . Do not start the "lives are at risk with gas / oil." "CRAP". Your life is at risk if you do not know "the safe cross code".

:rolleyes:....I have a funny feeling that you were in here before ;)

:rolleyes:....I have a funny feeling that you were in here before ;)

As your name "gifted" refers to talented, skilful, skilled, accomplished, expert.

I would not be able to dispute any of your ingenious remarks.

• Advertisement

As your name "gifted" refers to talented, skilful, skilled, accomplished, expert.

I would not be able to dispute any of your ingenious remarks.

Tonight Matthew, I'm going to be ....:D

Tonight Matthew, I'm going to be ....:D

Tonight Matthew, I'm going to be ....gifted's student, so he can educate me with his nonsense and immaturity.

Tonight Matthew, I'm going to be ....gifted's student, so he can educate me with his nonsense and immaturity.

Like I said, you were in here before...:rolleyes:

Like I said, you were in here before...:rolleyes:
    Can you tell me precisely what that comment means.

As a qualified and experienced time served tradesman myself. .

Sure it wasn't Mr White :P

. Do not start the "lives are at risk with gas / oil." "CRAP". Your life is at risk if you do not know "the safe cross code".

I find experience is defining factor on deciding the risk levels in a industry.

It tends to be those who have little experience who are most likely to let complacency sneak in and argue that there's little risk and then those that have experienced even one incident or death who have the paranoia to argue of a greater risk.

The two sides never agreeing until a unfortunate incident makes the inexperienced sound more like the paranoid experienced.

• Advertisement

Sure it wasn't Mr White :P

Am i missing something? Because making bad comments about another user I would consider to be a personal attack.

making bad comments about another user I would consider to be a personal attack.

With a reply like that you mustn't have much of an opinion of Mr White's abilities as a trainer yet you recomend him to others.

Personal attack!! nah!!

I find experience is defining factor on deciding the risk levels in a industry.

It tends to be those who have little experience who are most likely to let complacency sneak in and argue that there's little risk and then those that have experienced even one incident or death who have the paranoia to argue of a greater risk.

The two sides never agreeing until a unfortunate incident makes the inexperienced sound more like the paranoid experienced.

That is exactly why undertaking the courses is essential.

With a reply like that you mustn't have much of an opinion of Mr White's abilities as a trainer yet you recomend him to others.

Personal attack!! nah!!

A friend helps assist his classes that is how I know his capabilities. I also know a smart ass.

That is exactly why undertaking the courses is essential.

It's not enough to instil good working practises.

• Advertisement

It's not enough to instil good working practises.

It is enough to meet the criteria for the regulated gas industry and for the oil boiler passports. So If that's the highest standard available without competition. I cant offer any other opinions. Unless I am informed the criteria is changed.

I also know a smart ass.

Yeh! we see them here on occasions, but they only think they're smart.

It is enough to meet the criteria for the regulated gas industry and for the oil boiler passports. So If that's the highest standard available without competition. I cant offer any other opinions. Unless I am informed the criteria is changed.

What does that mean?

After all my posts and as a fellow tradesman it come down to "its the criteria":confused:

I know the criteria:eek:, I know what it produces(most times) hence my grumpiness

The powers that be are allowing un-qualified inexperienced "boiler techs" to work in people's homes due to their "criteria", doesn't make it right, that's my point.

Your thoughts on safety are very different to my own so as we seem not to be very like minded, I think we'll have to agree to disagree.

Not at all inquisitive, couldn't give a toss about anything you have to say because its just so naff and so insensitive. :rolleyes:

You are really proving me correct. That statements sounds like it is coming from a self important and conceited individual.

What does that mean?

After all my posts and as a fellow tradesman it come down to "its the criteria":confused:

I know the criteria:eek:, I know what it produces(most times) hence my grumpiness

The powers that be are allowing un-qualified inexperienced "boiler techs" to work in people's homes due to their "criteria", doesn't make it right, that's my point.

Your thoughts on safety are very different to my own so as we seem not to be very like minded, I think we'll have to agree to disagree.

All the courses GIS GID & OFTEC are based on the safety element.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

disclosure : I am a time served served electrican.

Saying only a time served plumber can service an oil burner because its connected to a plumbing system is like saying only a time served sparks can service a TV because its plugged into a socket.

An oil burner is a very specific piece of equipment and a very specific part of a plumbing system. Why would someone working on or specialising on that single part need to be a fully time served plumber ??

Most plumbers I know would run from a burner. . They have no experience working on them.

knipex wrote: »
    disclosure : I am a time served served electrican.

Saying only a time served plumber can service an oil burner because its connected to a plumbing system is like saying only a time served sparks can service a TV because its plugged into a socket.

An oil burner is a very specific piece of equipment and a very specific part of a plumbing system. Why would someone working on or specialising on that single part need to be a fully time served plumber ??

Most plumbers I know would run from a burner. . They have no experience working on them.

IMO. A sparks with oftec and gid training will make a brilliant oil and gas boiler tech. Without a doubt.

You are totally correct about an oil burner been a very specific piece of equipment and better suited to a sparks background. Allowing them to be very good tech with the extra training via oftec and gid.

All the courses GIS GID & OFTEC are based on the safety element.

When I kick a ball it's based on how Ronaldo does it, but in fairness I'm more like Ronald McDonald;)

Again I know the criteria, I know what it produces I deal with those who have passed thru it every day in my day job, I'm starting to wonder about your experience if you don't know why the above are flawed epically where safety is concerned.

When I kick a ball it's based on how Ronaldo does it, but in fairness I'm more like Ronald McDonald;)

You just need more training and coaching. :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Enough. Posts deleted.
    I don't want to have to lock this thread.
    Let's move on please.

• Advertisement
Advertisement