Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Standing Charge Bill - Not living in flat anymore

Options
  • 06-11-2013 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭

Hello, I'm having a bit of a problem with my bill. I was living in a flat in Donegal for about 7-8 months, left it in early june. I gave the landlord the required 4 weeks notice. I was given a letter confirming I'd left the flat. The day that I went out to collect my deposit, I had hoped to also get the name of the electricity account out of my name but one of the landlords staff had told me that they hadn't yet measured the electricity usage up until my date of departure, which of course I needed to pay whatever bill may be remaining on my account.

she explained to me that they'd get someone down the following day to read the meter and would send me on the information in a text. Anyway this never happened and after a week or two, I had totally forgotten about it. Assumed that the landlord himself had taken my name off the account.

About six weeks after I left, I got an email explaining that I owed a bill of about 45e, some of which related to my period in the flat (about 30e, which I'm more than happy to pay), the rest relating to periods after I had left the flat. I've since been receiving periodical emails explaining that I still owe the 45e, and that I'm liable for the standing charges due in July, August, September and (I think) October, which will cost me about 100e. 

Over the last two months I've been ringing the landlord at least once a week to get the meter reading forwarded to me but his staff keep telling me they will ring me back or text me the reading when they have it, which they never do! I just rang up again today and have pretty much been told the exact same thing again. The only upside is that he told me that the flat now has a new tenant so I shouldn't be receiving any new bills in the future.

I'm wondering what to do? As I said, I've no problem paying the part of the bill relating to my stay in the flat, but won't be willing to pay the standing charges relating to the period after I had occupied the flat. I noticed that I can pay my bill online, is it possible that I could just pay the 30e I owe through the online payment mechanism? Or might the full bill be taken?

Sorry about the long post. Any advice is appreciated. 

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi AtticusFinch86,

A customer is liable for any charges incurred while the bill is in their name, however we can remove the charges for a maximum period of two months; the remainder would need to be discussed with your former landlord.

Until a customer closes their account with a meter reading, or until someone takes over registration for electricity at the premises (whether it's a tenant, landlord/lady, letting agency) it remains in the previous customer's name, even if they have moved out, thus deeming them liable for billing.

If you private message us your Electric Ireland account number this query applies to, and your name/the address you were living at/telephone number as they appear on this account, we will check the situation in more detail.

Kind regards,
    Una

Advertisement