Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice please on 2 hiking boots

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭snipey

Be done with it and buy a pair of Meindl Burma they will last for years and stay water proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Mac2010

snipey wrote: »
    Be done with it and buy a pair of Meindl Burma they will last for years and stay water proof.

Yeah Investing extra cash on decent Leather boots with Gore Tex lining is great in the long run. If you wear expensive goretex jacket and wear cheap pair of boots then you are done! I find Meindl Nubuck Leather boots great.

Salomon X Ultra Mid GTX seems good but not Leather may be much lighter on the trail?

My 2 cent :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭fits

Honestly, there are so many different kinds with different supports. Goretex, non goretex, leather.

I have found that I got great advice in great outdoors shop before. I also need to buy new boots and I will be going in there for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭snipey

mac2010 is absolutely right you have to have them Goretex lined,I was on the out with the dogs today and it rained from start to finish through heather and bog and the goretex paid off,i was dry as a bone, makes walking all the more pleasurable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,623 ✭✭✭TheBody

If all depends on how often you intend to go hiking and the sort of terrain. If you intend to get off the tracks and onto the open mountain, I PERSONALLY would only ever buy fully leather boots. Easier to clean and last for years if you look after them. As a poster mentioned above, Meindl are great. I bought a pair years ago and they look like new. I clean them after each hike and regularly condition them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

as with all purchaces, you need to know what you want it for...

personally, i would suggest that fabric boots are only really applicable if you walk on very easy terrain, and don't do that much walking or are happy to replace them every two years.

if thats not you, i would suggest a full leather boot - Meindls if they fit you, alt-bergs, lowa's etc.. if they don't. i would however avoid any boot with a gore-tex/whatever liner: firstly because the liner is always, always the first compant to wear out - the movement of your foot with wear through it - secondly because you'll have sweaty, manky feet, and thirdly because the effort you go to to preserve the rest of the boot - waxes, oils, sprays etc.. will seep through the leather/fabric and fill the pores in the liner, thus giving a plastic bag effect, rather than a microporous effect.

leather boot with no lining, with as little stitching around the foot as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Budawanny

the make is less important than the fit after a certain point.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

from reading around, another thing to watch out for is the weight of the boot, apparently because of magazine reviews some makers have compromised their own designs to look good in reviews but might mean thinner soles or less padding so don't always jump to a lightest in class boot

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Advertisement