Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas away

Options
  • 06-11-2013 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

Just booked my flights to San Francisco for Christmas week. First time ever spent away from Ireland for Christmas and I can't wait, but any tips on things to bring to make it feel Irishy and Christmassy? Not a tree :). I was hoping to bring some spiced beef, but that's a no-no with US customs. I plan on going to Dunnes tomorrow to get a crappy jumper, so that'll help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭AshAdele

this will be my third christmas away,

The first: was working on a mine site in Oz, so i didnt have to cook or do decorations. it didnt feel like christmas

The second: was traveling home (slowly) from Oz, we had christmas and new year in Cambodia, it was much better then the year before as i wasnt working, we eat out in a restaurant and walked along the beach back to our hotel and the muppets christmas carol movie just happened to be on ( i was delighted!!) so i sat and pigged out in front of the TV fro a few hours. felt alot more like chirstmas, even if it was 40 degrees outside

the third: will be this year, i will be in Argentina on honeymoon in the wine district.

when we were planning our honeymoon i insisted it be a catholic country if it was to be over christmas. in Cambodia there just didnt really understand what christmas was

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭TheBoffin

Why not experience a San Francisco Christmas? Makes me laugh when Irish people go off on holiday, first thing they do is into an Irish bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Kali_Kalika

Trust me. America is christmas mad. You wont miss the festive spirit in the least! You'll probably be overwhelmed with the 'Merican enthusiasm! But if its an irish christmas you want bring some crackers (wrap them up in clothes and they'll travel fine & I've done this many years and never had an issue with customs - the Irish ones laugh and the 'Mericans are just baffled but let me on with them) and some mince pies and a tin of celebrations/heros/whatever tickles your festive spirit :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭chickenbutt

Trust me. America is christmas mad. You wont miss the festive spirit in the least! You'll probably be overwhelmed with the 'Merican enthusiasm! But if its an irish christmas you want bring some crackers (wrap them up in clothes and they'll travel fine & I've done this many years and never had an issue with customs - the Irish ones laugh and the 'Mericans are just baffled but let me on with them) and some mince pies and a tin of celebrations/heros/whatever tickles your festive spirit :p

We have Christmas crackers here! It's not a common tradition but you can find them in Costco now :p

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭AshAdele

i have no problem experiencing the culture of the place im traveling but after traveling for over 4 months and it being my second christmas away from home you just start to miss it

im really looking froward to this christmas in Argentina, i know it will be different again to the other two christmasses away from home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Crackers are a great idea. Really cheap and tacky ones from Eurosaver maybe. I'll be getting involved in the culture alright, but I'm staying with my sister and her husband is a real Oirishphile, so the Irish pub is probably a sure thing. Are bars open Christmas Day in the States - I know restaurants are. Weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭chickenbutt

corblimey wrote: »
    Crackers are a great idea. Really cheap and tacky ones from Eurosaver maybe. I'll be getting involved in the culture alright, but I'm staying with my sister and her husband is a real Oirishphile, so the Irish pub is probably a sure thing. Are bars open Christmas Day in the States - I know restaurants are. Weird.

I'd say most places are closed, but they'd list it on their website or Facebook.

Advertisement