Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tracton old graveyard

Options
  • 06-11-2013 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭

Hi all.
    During my last holiday to Ireland I visited an old graveyard in Tracton and among the other old graves I found a large coffin-like white slab flat on the ground. It was larger than the others, clearly of some prominent person, but no sign of names or else on it. The OSI map marks the place with a red dot and says "Grave slab", so it's clearly something relatively important.
    Is anyone of you from the area or could anyone help me about it? Is it possible to gather any information about that grave?
    Thanks a million!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Colonel_McCoy

A Friend of mine is from that area and I will be speaking to him Sunday. What exactly do you need to know and I will see if he can help

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Thanks for your kind interest.
    I'd like to know as much as possible about this grave. Who was this person? When did he/she die? And any other detail about the area and/or the church and its burial ground.
    I googled a lot in the past weeks, but I wasn't able to find anything. Possibly with the information that your friend will give you, I'd be able to dig the web for more details.
    Thank you so much! And thanks to your friend as well, of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Colonel_McCoy

I am sorry he didnt know the slab existed

Thanks a million! No problem at all, at least you tried ;)
    Is there any other "channel" I should try to contact? The parish priest?
    If so, who's the priest, and where is he?
    Thanks in advance for your efforts! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

I don't know the area, but try archaeology.ie? There's an interactive map if you click on "Archaeological Survey of Ireland" and agree to the T&Cs. Might be helpful.

• Advertisement

I don't know the area, but try archaeology.ie? There's an interactive map if you click on "Archaeological Survey of Ireland" and agree to the T&Cs. Might be helpful.

Wonderful website, thank you so much!
    I found the place, it is marked as a graveyard though, and not much details are given.
    It says that a former Cistercian Abbey was on the site. Some centuries ago the graveyard was fenced, then in 1817 a Church of Ireland church was built and I think it's the one that we see today.
    Graveyard is used occasionally.
    According to that website, earliest inscribed headstones date from mid-18th century, but I might believe that the large and white slab that I saw could be older.
    Thanks again! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

No problem, mad what you can find on the internet...

Thanks!
    I could also try to post the same question in the Archaeology Forum, but I don't know if this is against the Boards' rules.

Advertisement