Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ATM skimming

Options
  • 06-11-2013 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭

I had my current account raided in the last couple of days by a cloned debit card. In the past four months I had only used my card to make withdrawals from four AIB ATMs in Galway city so it seems one of them was compromised at some point during that period. If you have used your card in an AIB ATM in Galway recently you might want to check your account.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭IS_a_Class

Sorry to hear that, will you get reimbursed? In the US, you would, not sure about the situation here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,424 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

It could be unrelated to ATMs in Galway, but there were 2 attempted unauthorised transactions using my AIB debit card details last weekend. Thankfully they were blocked by AIB and no money was taken. I'm waiting to get a new card at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yeah it has happened before here too.
    Also keep an eye on your card when paying at a restaurant or anywhere they will take your card and walk off. They could easily just swipe it in a cloner when out of sight
    Even then you're not safe as a new thing is to replace the entire card reader at supermarkets with a fake that records your details. Known as POS skimming.

Now most places are perfectly fine, this is just a heads up that it is going on and to be careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,902 ✭✭✭gifted

I had my current account raided in the last couple of days by a cloned debit card. In the past four months I had only used my card to make withdrawals from four AIB ATMs in Galway city so it seems one of them was compromised at some point during that period. If you have used your card in an AIB ATM in Galway recently you might want to check your account.

What atms did you use?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

Ouch a bit worried now.. Which ATMs did you use?

I don't normally use the AIB ones but I did use the one on the Tuam road at their branch at the Liosban estate :(

What doesn't help is that the card slot is often replaced by the bank itself with a 'dodgy looking' one, such as is the case with one of the two at the back of the BoI branch in Eire Square. It makes it really hard to verify the ATM hasn't been tampered with.

I might change my pins just in case... You can always do this if you're worried (and no money has been taken yet).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

IS_a_Class wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that, will you get reimbursed? In the US, you would, not sure about the situation here.
    I'm told I will be reimbursed as soon as I complete the disclaimer they're posting out to me. There was no suggestion that I was at fault and wouldn't be reimbursed, which surprised me somewhat, so I took that to mean they were probably aware of one of AIB ATMs I had used having been compromised. I asked straight out if that was the case and got a reply of "very possibly" from the lady I was talking to.

I'm told I will be reimbursed as soon as I complete the disclaimer they're posting out to me. There was no suggestion that I was at fault and wouldn't be reimbursed, which surprised me somewhat, so I took that to mean they were probably aware of one of AIB ATMs I had used having been compromised. I asked straight out if that was the case and got a reply of "very possibly" from the lady I was talking to.

That could well be, they do monitor this kind of thing. I've had one case where the bank rang me to say I had been using a machine that had been compromised. They sent me out a new card, it was annoying not to have any means of payment for a few days but at least they were proactive.

I wish they would provide an option of having absolutely no magstripe though. I'd rather hunt around for a machine that supports a chip than to worry about skimming. Chip & Pin is safe but not if they leave the vulnerable magstripe still on the card (and have it use the same pincode).

Ouch a bit worried now.. Which ATMs did you use?

I don't normally use the AIB ones but I did use the one on the Tuam road at their branch at the Liosban estate :(
    That one plus Dunnes Terryland, Lynch's Castle and M&S.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Ha, you should see me at ATM nowadays. I'm tugging at the equipment and looking around for tiny cameras.
    When I can I use indoor ones but even then I'm still wary.

A few previous threads for perusal
    http://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?subforums=1&forum=177&query=skimming

That one plus Dunnes Terryland, Lynch's Castle and M&S.

Thanks for the heads-up! Changing my pin right away.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Tea Tree

which of the ATMs at Dunnes Terryland are AIB? There's one outside and one inside. Or are they both AIB?
    I used the inside one recently... no harm to change the pin I suppose to be on the safe side.

Tea Tree wrote: »
    which of the ATMs at Dunnes Terryland are AIB? There's one outside and one inside. Or are they both AIB?
    I used the inside one recently... no harm to change the pin I suppose to be on the safe side.

The one on the outside is definitely AIB. On the inside I only know of 2 BoI ones, just before you enter the grocery section on the left. They're side by side. Or is there another one?

Tea Tree wrote: »

Outside is AIB inside is BOI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Tea Tree

The one on the outside is definitely AIB. On the inside I only know of 2 BoI ones, just before you enter the grocery section on the left. They're side by side. Or is there another one?

No that's the one(s) I used. I don't think I've used the outside one for a while but I was about to use it once about a year ago and someone came up to me and advised me not to as it had been tampered with a few times.

This is covered in the Sentinel today. The AIB ATM at Dunnes Stores in Terryland is mentioned as is the Permanent TSB ATM in Eyre Square.
    http://www.connachttribune.ie/galway-news/item/1737-gang-nets-thousands-in-city-bank-atms-scam

A colleague of mine had their card scammed at AIB outside Dunnes Terryland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

biko wrote: »
    Yeah it has happened before here too.
    Also keep an eye on your card when paying at a restaurant or anywhere they will take your card and walk off. They could easily just swipe it in a cloner when out of sight
    Even then you're not safe as a new thing is to replace the entire card reader at supermarkets with a fake that records your details. Known as POS skimming.

Now most places are perfectly fine, this is just a heads up that it is going on and to be careful.

Please don't ever let your card out of sight in a restaurant. Most places, the card machine is brought to your table, but if you are told that they need to take the card, go and take the card yourself, to the counter. I know there appears to be loads of ways that details can be stolen, but definitely don't make it easy. Cover your hand while entering the PIN also. It won't defeat every thief, but it can certainly help.
    Sorry to hear this happened OP. I hope you get sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Ha, you should see me at ATM nowadays. I'm tugging at the equipment and looking around for tiny cameras.
    When I can I use indoor ones but even then I'm still wary.
    So I'm not the only one, then :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Chip & Pin is safe

That's open to discussion, there have been several claims that it has been cracked.

O.p. did you use your debit card on the internet anywhere? Many sites still use old encryption systems that are no longer considered secure.

Also bear in mind the Supervalue & Axa "data loss" where the financial details of customers that used the getaway scheme have been exposed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

This is covered in the Sentinel today. The AIB ATM at Dunnes Stores in Terryland is mentioned as is the Permanent TSB ATM in Eyre Square.

I've used this one a few times and haven't had any issues (yet). I always cover my hand - no matter what machine I'm at - so there seems to be some truth that particular piece of advice.

• Advertisement

antoobrien wrote: »
    O.p. did you use your debit card on the internet anywhere? Many sites still use old encryption systems that are no longer considered secure.
    As stated above I only used the card at those four ATMs, nowhere else. Online I only use my credit card as there is a bit more comeback and I'm careful about where I use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

I thought I was the only one. Anything that looks like it could be covered/replaced, I usually give it a slight yank to see if it feels loose/dodgy at all. Hasn't happened so far, fortunately...

Advertisement