Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Static IP range Eircom F1000

• 06-11-2013 6:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭

Has anyone added multiple address to the WAN interface on the Eircom fiber modem? I got a range of address and I can't figure out how to add multiple address to to WAN interface!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭jmcc

azzeretti wrote: »
    Has anyone added multiple address to the WAN interface on the Eircom fiber modem? I got a range of address and I can't figure out how to add multiple address to to WAN interface!
    They may be assigned by DHCP on the router so that each box gets its own private IP (192.168.1.*) and then the next available public IP. There is an option where you can have the private IP retain the same public IP all the time.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

jmcc wrote: »
    They may be assigned by DHCP on the router so that each box gets its own private IP (192.168.1.*) and then the next available public IP. There is an option where you can have the private IP retain the same public IP all the time.

Regards...jmcc

Sorry jmcc, I don't understand this!

I don't want DHCP anywhere near my network! I have an fibre connection terminating at the F1000. I purchased a range of external/public IP addresses and I need to bind all these addresses to the WAN interface of the F1000. Once they are all bound to this interface I can then start allowing certain services through to my hosts on my LAN (well, perimeter really). E.g 87.193.x.1 on the WAN gets NAT to 172.16.0.15 on HTTP but 83.193.x.2 gets NAT to 172.16.0.16 on HTTP. And so on with many other service ports!

Its a standard enough thing to to with other routers. Just add a subinterface, bind the IP and get forwarding. The F1000 seems a bit strange!

Worst case scenario is that I built a *nix based router and bridge the F1000 and use iptables. Looks like that's what I will be doing....

EDIT: I think you may be talking about 1-1 NAT, which isn't what I want or recommend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭jmcc

azzeretti wrote: »
    Sorry jmcc, I don't understand this!

I don't want DHCP anywhere near my network! I have an fibre connection terminating at the F1000. I purchased a range of external/public IP addresses and I need to bind all these addresses to the WAN interface of the F1000. Once they are all bound to this interface I can then start allowing certain services through to my hosts on my LAN (well, perimeter really). E.g 87.193.x.1 on the WAN gets NAT to 172.16.0.15 on HTTP but 83.193.x.2 gets NAT to 172.16.0.16 on HTTP. And so on with many other service ports!
    The routers come with DHCP enabled, I think. Setting static IPs for private IPs on your LAN is (from memory) done from one of the menus. The range of public IPs would be assigned/routed to the router's own public IP. What you are describing is port forwarding rather than just NATing. It is in the router's Network Setting > Home Networking > NAT menu.
    The F1000 seems a bit strange!
    That's an understatement. There are links on threads with the manual in PDF format for the F1000 router. Some NATing and portmapping is actually possible according to the manual. (It is in the NAT menu.)
    EDIT: I think you may be talking about 1-1 NAT, which isn't what I want or recommend.
    From memory, Eircom tends to be conservative in the number of assigned IPs so many people will end up with some form of DHCP/NATing (1 to many) if they have more computers than public IPs.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

you need to use something like sonic firewall to bind multiple static ips

you bridge the f1000 setup the sonic firewall to use pppoe settings with mtu size 1484 and ppp username eircom@eircom.net ppp pasword broadband1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭TheBoffin

The static IP on the F1000 works as follows:

When router is set to bridge mode (this is a whole other war, let me know if you have problems with boot cycle) your modem will pull the primary IP as the first available IP

So for example if you have a PC connected into port 1 on the modem, you will get public address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    If you then connect a laptop into port 2 on the modem you will get the secondary IP address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

So in short, to bind these into an appliance it will need 2 WAN ports or a single WAN with the ability to VLAN.

I will probably answer this better for you tomorrow if you want to PM me, brain hurting right now :)

I have a 3 IP setup on efibre in a local school, i was in the dilemma too :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement