Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using a tablet to watch files off an external hard drive

Options
  • 06-11-2013 6:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi all,

First post - so hi everyone :)

Have searched tablets here and it brought up a lot of results, but have a specific query in relation to connecting to a hard drive so sorry if this is a repeat of something that's already been posted.

Laptop packed up so am seriously leaning towards a tablet. Primary uses would be surfing (the usual apps - FB, RTE, BBC, 4OD, Netflix etc) and watching the content of my external hard drive. Most seem to come with a usb port, or microusb port with a connection, however, I'm not sure what spec I'd need. Looks like I'd be able to download a Google app to allow me to watch different formats. The one absolute must is a screen 8 inches or larger.

Have identified a few of interest with good reviews on Amazon but specs don't really mean anything to me. For instance, what's the difference between Ice Cream Sandwich and Jelly Bean? I understand it's to do with the age of the software and that ICS is older but will this make much of a difference?

Something like:

LelikTec Avalon 9 8 inch, Kocaso M9100 8 inch, IRulu 10 inch

Thanks for any advice
    em

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭TheBoffin

I have no idea on the type of tablet that would be suitable.

I do have some experience with Movie Library at home. I use Plex

You would need a computer to act as server for your movies/tv episodes etc and it takes some concentration to get set up. Overall its worth the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

If you are looking to directly hook up your external hdd to a tablet then you would need a 'host' usb on the tablet. On more modern Android tablets this can be achieved by using an OTG (on-the-go) cable. Some older tablets have a full size usb port which directly acts as a host port, like on my Toshiba Thrive :). Another possible solution is to use a WiFi caddy for your drive and access the files via WiFi on your tablet. Some routers allow you to connect your hdd directly to them and enable sharing of files from the drive.

As regards the s/w the versions of android evolved something like Gingerbread->Ice Cream Sandwich->JellyBean->KitKat. Each version introduces improvements and extra features.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Shary Bobbins

Thanks degsie, yes, that all makes sense. Have the other half's (work) laptop which am using for my hard drive at the mo but would be good to be able to hook it up to a tablet so this really is food for thought.

And thanks for the clarification on the software thing. Really helpful :)

P.S. Had a quick google at that Thrive. VERY nice!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

You could buy a laptop pentium 4 , 80 gig drive 90 euro,on adverts.ie ,watch the movies on that.
    15inch screen.
    Tablets are good,for games ,youtube,
    netflix,
    i don,t see the point of watching say, star trek the movie,
    the hunger games on a 10 inch tablet.

IF you buy a new tablet , it,ll usually have the latest android os on it.

see

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=hu.sztupy.android.usbhostcontroller&hl=en

Advertisement