Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kids hanging around our estate (who don't live there)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭kitnan

If damage is being done to property get some of those little cameras you can get to monitor your property. Once you have the evidence, call up the guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

aknitter wrote: »
    They are bothering people, the OP and his neighbours. other posts have clarified the initial vague one and there is trespassing and damage being done to property. These are not kids but teenagers.

They are entitled to be in a public place. If they are entirely harmless, a word from a Garda will get them to move, but if they are entirely harmless, there's no need to move them.

If they are the sorts to trespass and cause actual damage (as opposed to taking a shortcut across your garden to a field or whatever), then they probably don't give a flying feck about words from guards, you'll need actual evidence.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

The upshot of this post is that kids let off some bangers and frightened a load of wild cats that the OP is feeding.

I really think the Guards have bigger fish to fry.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

kitnan wrote: »
    If damage is being done to property get some of those little cameras you can get to monitor your property. Once you have the evidence, call up the guards.

Someone will suggest that you can't film kids next.

helen-lovejoy-pic.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Valentine1

Hanging around where you're not really wanted is a large part of being a teenager as far as I recall.

From the sounds of things OP these kids aren't really up to all that much mischief and nothing serious. Letting off fireworks and hanging about the place may be irritating but making a mountain out of a molehill will only cast you in a bad light. Next time you find them in your garden tell them to clear off and not trespass, otherwise leave it be.

In all likelihood they will move on soon enough once they get a little older and hanging about an estate becomes uncool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 eamonn3974

kitnan wrote: »
    Having a somewhat similar problem, we went ahead with cameras only to be told by Gardai that the evidence captured on them was inadmissable as we had no disclaimers of the filming of the area and we liable ourselves for doing this. For what its worth, if they're teenagers they'll soon enough grow older and move onto other things and move off in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Think_then_talk

Teenagers have such a hard time at the moment no money no job's.Just hanging around yes they can
    be a pain it's a pity the community do not come together & start up youth activity projects to keep
    the little feckers busy.http://www.foroige.ie/ Foroige have some great ideas and the local Garda get involved before the real trouble starts.
    eamonn3974 wrote: »
    Having a somewhat similar problem, we went ahead with cameras only to be told by Gardai that the evidence captured on them was inadmissable as we had no disclaimers of the filming of the area and we liable ourselves for doing this. For what its worth, if they're teenagers they'll soon enough grow older and move onto other things and move off in time.

This man did not have any disclaimers....
    http://www.courts.ie/judgments.nsf/bce24a8184816f1580256ef30048ca50/9bd14182c49347be8025713300410c9c?OpenDocument

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

This isn't an isolated incident to the OP though.
    This happens all around the country, and has been happening for countless years.
    As a teenager I'd have been doing the same thing, once it was too dark to play football, you'd go around looking for something to do.

As long as they're not robbing your house, smashing your windows or vandalising your property...then let them be.
    If they do a few nick-naks....DON'T chase them, if you chase then you're the target house for the next few years...and for future generations.

It's an aspect of life I'm afraid, you're gonna be stuck with it either way

If it REALLY bothered you, you could go to the parents of the kid they hang around with, voice your concern, and have his parents make him tell his mates to go somewhere else

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭cmore123

I have to say that where I live there was a problem some 5 or 6 years ago, and the only thing that got rid of them was myself and a neighbour, every single time we saw them approach, went out and gave them a hard time... they gave my neighbour more bother than me, climbing over his shed roof into his garden and annoying his cat etc etc... so for his part, he put very heavy greasy black oily stuff on his shed roof....

Eventually, every time we saw them whether they were behaving or not, we just went out and told them to go away and stood there until they did. Soon, they got tired of it and off they went.

One night I went out to stop them throwing stones at another neighbour's house who was away on holidays. I faced down the ringleader who was somewhat older than the rest, and who the rest looked up to, and told him in no uncertain terms to eff off etc.....

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Pogmothone

I've waited the whole thread, giving you the benefit of the doubt, but every post you've made suggests that you are.

Why haven't you spoken to your next door neighbours? It's their child that is friends with the others, surely that would be the first port of call if they are causing actual damage? Or does the fact that they are renting have anything to do with it?:rolleyes:

I can only guess that you didn't grow up in a town/estate otherwise you'd know that of course exploring and hanging out in other estates is what young teens do. It's totally age appropriate. They didn't just randomly arrive en-mass to terrorise you. They call into their friend and hang around. Next thing you know they'll be kicking a ball around on your street:eek:

If there's a field beside you and not elsewhere that would be another great reason to play there. We spent many a day at that age building dens and bridges in the fields near my home (and crannogs when we learnt about them in school!) Just as we also played nick nacks and chasing through other peoples gardens. It used to be called an idyllic childhood. Now people like you worry about insurance claims.

Couldn't have said it better myself . Kids will be kids..... IMO it's better having them around to deter burglars or worse gang's hanging around

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

cmore123 wrote: »
    I have to say that where I live there was a problem some 5 or 6 years ago, and the only thing that got rid of them was myself and a neighbour, every single time we saw them approach, went out and gave them a hard time... they gave my neighbour more bother than me, climbing over his shed roof into his garden and annoying his cat etc etc... so for his part, he put very heavy greasy black oily stuff on his shed roof....

Eventually, every time we saw them whether they were behaving or not, we just went out and told them to go away and stood there until they did. Soon, they got tired of it and off they went.

One night I went out to stop them throwing stones at another neighbour's house who was away on holidays. I faced down the ringleader who was somewhat older than the rest, and who the rest looked up to, and told him in no uncertain terms to eff off etc.....

Sounds like you made your own problem there. If they were just hanging around what is the problem. What did you people do in your teenage years, a lot of you seem like right kill joys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

I grew up in a town in Clare and as a teenager my friends and I hung around other estate's and area's besides our own.
    I suppose it's just a bit of familiarisation with a new area and we were harming no one or damaging property.
    It's part of growing up,I never wanted to be at home sitting in by the fire watching soaps and rubbish etc

There's always a few knobs living on estates who forget they were young one time, and think they can police the estate. ...
    Bullies in their teens and also control freaks as adults.

If my son was told to leave an estate or ran out of it for only hanging around, it would be me you'll have to deal with next......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Go out and try to engage with them, get them involved in a kick about with a ball, or try to get them interested in some community projects like weeding verges etc...

When they find themselves being befriended by older people who seem to want to hang out with them a bit it will ruin the buzz, and they will move on.

Go out and try to engage with them, get them involved in a kick about with a ball, or try to get them interested in some community projects like weeding verges etc...

When they find themselves being befriended by older people who seem to want to hang out with them a bit it will ruin the buzz, and they will move on.

That kind of sound's weird, what older people want to befriend kids and teenagers ?

If I seen that going on id find it strange. ....
    Id probably call the guards on the weirdo....

Geomy wrote: »
    That kind of sound's weird, what older people want to befriend kids and teenagers ?

If I seen that going on id find it strange. ....
    Id probably call the guards on the weirdo....

Exactly, thanks for proving my point that they wont like it.

What are the guards going to do, berate someone for asking kids if they want to help out with weeding, litter collections, etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,966 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Exactly, thanks for proving my point that they wont like it.

What are the guards going to do, berate someone for asking kids if they want to help out with weeding, litter collections, etc?

Your point is ridiculous.

dont advocate that because you would open your home to ridicule.

Just plain bad advice.

listermint wrote: »
    Your point is ridiculous.

dont advocate that because you would open your home to ridicule.

Just plain bad advice.

Utter nonsense, youve obviously never experienced the problem, its a workable solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,966 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Utter nonsense, youve obviously never experienced the problem, its a workable solution.

A workable solution is going out and chatting with some kids that you dont know, next you will be advocating taking pictures of them.

Here is a workable solution, if they are causing harm or damage or sitting on your own wall all ours of the day just ask them politely and sternly if they can move on.

Leave it at that.

Kids hang around its what kids do. Other people such as the OP need to mind their own business completely.

Yeah if you mind your own business, you won't have to worry about kid's and teenagers hanging around.

I'm totally oblivious to them hanging around in my estate.

I just do the garden, head off surfing and fishing, go to work, come home again and keep my eye on the road. ...

When im in home I just do whatever needs to be done, I hope I don't turn into Victor Meldrew :-D

listermint wrote: »
    A workable solution is going out and chatting with some kids that you dont know, next you will be advocating taking pictures of them.

Why on earth would you want to take pictures of them?

Why would you not chat to kids who are hanging around your home? Perhaps you are suffering from some kind of media induced paranoia regarding having a pleasant word with people being misconstrued. In the real world (away from the red tops) you will find that it's quite normal to engage with people you see locally.

There is a local park clean up that runs in my area periodically where many local teens help out and are encouraged and supervised by adults in the area. Same with local sports clubs, youth centre etc. There is nothing wrong with adults speaking to and interacting with teenagers. Assuming nefarious motives from such a thing says a lot about someone's mindset.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,865 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Bottom line here is these kids are causing a nuisance to the OP and her neighbours and have caused property damage in the past as well as trespassing on the OP's property to set off bangers.

This is like that thread a few weeks back where people tried to tell an OP that he shouldn't have a problem with kids running through his garden past his front window. :rolleyes:

Despite the PC, think-of-the-children nonsense that passes for "parenting" in a lot of cases these days, nobody should have to put up with other people's kids behaving like this and it's likely to get worse if not dealt with now (speaking from experience here)

Unfortunately however it's unlikely the Gardai will do anything about it - partly because as minors there's not much they can do, partly because they can't be bothered anyway - so in all likelyhood you'll have to handle this yourself OP. Approaching their parents might be a start but be prepared for the "my little angel wouldn't do that" response! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Unfortunately however it's unlikely the Gardai will do anything about it - partly because as minors there's not much they can do,

Partly because there's no evidence that any crime has been committed...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Sorry lads, didn't mean to snap, just getting pissed off with them and really was hoping for some constructive advice here! It's been every single bloody day and night for months. Was hoping the short nights would see an end to it but nope.

No residents association, pabmac. Although it's not restricted between me and my neighbour - it seems others on the estate have also had problems with them (including minor property damage) so me and my neighbour said we'd keep each other updated to see if we need to get heads together with the others to take it further. Trying not to get heavy as they're all young enough (early to mid teens) but it's starting to become a real issue and not just with me. If they were living on the estate then you'd almost say fair enough but that's not the case. Neighbours have had words with them but it's made no difference.

Oh well, see what happens. Am glad it's not just me - at least I know I'm not imagining it!

Can you be more specific?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

TBH If the op had have mentioned property damage and such in the opening post I think people would be more sympathetic.

But reading the thread how it sounds to me is that the OP doesnt like teenagers hanging around her estate and is clutching at straws trying to make people agree.

You say that they let off bangers in some sort of ditch behind your garden, then it was in your front garden for hours. If you had have told them you would call the gards when(if) it was in your front garden 99/100 chance they would have scarpered quickly.

when you mention about your cats and ferral cats , Is it possible that you have a lot of cats and are just paranoid that these teenagers may do something to the animals and thats why you want them moved on ?

Advertisement