Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti-semitic posters in Limerick

• 06-11-2013 7:36pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1

Found on a bridge in the Sugar Hill area. They attacked Minister Shatter for his Jewish heritage and blamed the Jews for Ireland's problems. Very reminiscent of 1930s Germany. From the Limerick Leader

1770310262.jpg

What drives a person to do this? This bigot took the time to handcraft posters, drive out to the bridge and put them up. It seems in modern Ireland, the Jews are the last group of people you're allowed to rail against, once it's under the guise of "pro-Palestine". Not the first time anti-Semitism has reared its ugly head in Limerick either. Limerick boycott 1935

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Interesting. Hmmmm....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I'd have ripped them down.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

There are no words...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

someone is a whizz with fonts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Ignorance.

Some coward trying to peddle his or her bitter little prejudices from under whatever rock they came from.

Kind of apt that it was found on a bridge, because we all know which being from Norse mythology was purported to have lived under bridges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭adaminho

Its funny these are only coming to light now as I passed them before Easter. On a related note has anyone noticed the stickers on the old ATM on upper William street saying show multiculturalism the red card and Ireland for the Irish? Thankfully they're defaced almost as fast as the go up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

WTF is with the photo on the 3rd one, a body on the ground?

And Sugar Hill? Thats pretty remote, why not put them up in NCW the nearest town? Oh thats right cos they'd be ripped down in no time.

Freaks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭BlutendeRabe

Found on a bridge in the Sugar Hill area. They attacked Minister Shatter for his Jewish heritage and blamed the Jews for Ireland's problems. Very reminiscent of 1930s Germany. From the Limerick Leader

What drives a person to do this? This bigot took the time to handcraft posters, drive out to the bridge and put them up. It seems in modern Ireland, the Jews are the last group of people you're allowed to rail against, once it's under the guise of "pro-Palestine". Not the first time anti-Semitism has reared its ugly head in Limerick either. Limerick boycott 1935

A few things:

1. Criticizing the actions of Israel is not the same as being anti-Semitic.
    2. The Limerick Boycott was in 1904.
    3. The person who created those posters is a bit mad to say the least (why the hell would you post them in such a remote bridge).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

A few things:

3. The person who created those posters is a bit mad to say the least (why the hell would you post them in such a remote bridge).

My guess would be that the person (or persons) involved are either from the area or those that they want to see the posters are from the area.

Was driving the Tarbert to Listowel road of late and also the Listowel to Tralee road. Noticed on my travels a number of home made posters that whilst naming no one individual seemed to be quite specific in their message. Now these posters were messages of disgruntlement towards a political party/political individual rather than a clumsy attempt to pass off an anti-semetic bias as political disgruntlement, but it struck me as a very personal exercise and the Sugar Hill posters most certainly come across the same way to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭Quixoticelixer

A few things:

Because the person is a coward, afraid to put them up somewhere where they might have been seen doing it, picked a remote spot and probably did it at 4am as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Racism/Anti Semitism in Ireland? :eek: NO WAY!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Should we all be racist now?

The farm takes up most of the day and at night I just like a cup of tea. I might not be able to devote myself full time to the old racism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing, but it's highly unlikely any Jews will ever see these. Don't think there are any living in Limerick any more.

I used to work with a Jewish CEO that spent time in Co Clare (he's gone back to the US now), and he didn't think there were any Jews in Limerick.

I simply don't understand the mindset behind these posters. Insanity is my best guess.

Advertisement