Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BvB v Arsenal RTE 2 from 7.30 pm

1234568»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

It wasn't a dream then :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

efb wrote: »
    It wasn't a dream then :D

First thing I said to myself when I woke up!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Spring in the step this morning no doubt. Cant wait for the United game.

Fecking Mert is great. That's all.

He was terrific last night as was Koc. I think the difference between the leaders in this squad and our last real title push back in 07/08 is that we wont see either Koc or Mert sobbing on the pitch if things arent going our way. 2 extremely cool heads that never panic.

He was terrific last night as was Koc. I think the difference between the leaders in this squad and our last real title push back in 07/08 is that we wont see either Koc or Mert sobbing on the pitch if things arent going our way. 2 extremely cool heads that never panic.

And yet redknapp said he sees him as our weakness!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Do you take Redknapp seriously?

He isnt the fastest which makes it important to have a good defensive midfielder as well as diligent full backs to make sure there is no space to run at him. Very good reader of the game though and him, Flamster and Koc and to a lesser extent Arteta, definitely gives Arsenal that backbone and leadership that we havent had in a long long time. Since Keown and Campbell in the invincible season probably

I will say Redknapp was spot on when he said nil-nil at half time will suit us and that in the second half gaps would open up for us. They sure did and we sure took advantage. Dortmund really crumbled after the goal and both Mert and Mr OG had chances (Though i think it could have been part of the same attack i cant remember)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Ah still buzzing, what a win :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

He isnt the fastest which makes it important to have a good defensive midfielder as well as diligent full backs to make sure there is no space to run at him. Very good reader of the game though and him, Flamster and Mert and to a lesser extent Arteta, definitely gives Arsenal that backbone and leadership that we havent had in a long long time. Since Keown and Campbell in the invincible season probably

That 'Mert isn't the fastest' pundit line is the laziest nonsense I've seen in ages.

The say the same about John Terry right? I mean no way would a CB without pace be able to survive in the lightening quick English game.

Ehhhhh...

Nooooo!

gosplan wrote: »
    That 'Mert isn't the fastest' pundit line is the laziest nonsense I've seen in ages.

The say the same about John Terry right? I mean no way would a CB without pace be able to survive in the lightening quick English game.

True enough but Terry's lack of pace has been exploited on occasion the last few years and Mert was left for dead on one occasion with Michu in particular last season so it is important he is protected and that the space in front of him is well marshalled. Arsenal seem to have got this part of the gameplan sorted. If we are suspect it is the full backs who are inclined to either not be covered or shouldnt be upfield to begin with

The truth is most centre halves arent really as fast as their striker counterparts but Mert is one in particular who has to make up for this with his reading of the game and he is really starting to come into his own for Arsenal the last few games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

True enough but Terry's lack of pace has been exploited on occasion the last few years and Mert was left for dead on one occasion with Michu in particular last season so it is important he is protected and that the space in front of him is well marshalled. Arsenal seem to have got this part of the gameplan sorted. If we are suspect it is the full backs who are inclined to either not be covered or shouldnt be upfield to begin with

The truth is most centre halves arent really as fast as their striker counterparts but Mert is one in particular who has to make up for this with his reading of the game and he is really starting to come into his own for Arsenal the last few games

His lack of pace will always catch him out at some stage, and as soon as it does everyone will hop on the Mertesacker is shít bandwagon again. If he had pace he'd be the best defender in the league, but he doesn't and from time to time teams will exploit that. He's still a very good defender.

It's a strange one. When he was signed people who'd pretty much never seen him play before decided he was shít before he'd ever put on an Arsenal jersey. I think it was just the way he was signed. A last minute purchase after the 8-2 defeat, therefore he's a shíte panic buy. It's somewhat useful though, you can usually tell people who actually watch the games and are capable of forming their own opinion based on their opinion of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I have been saying Mert was a brilliant signing from day 1 he had a huge calming influence on the defence his tackling at times can be brilliant and his reading of the game is immense he may lack pace but his other attribute more than make up for it. Even last season our defence was the second best in the league it was our attack that was lacking last season we didn't create enough chances to kill games off and the signing of Ozil, Ramsey's true emergence this season plus Giroud and Cazorla's second season in the league has really helped us so far to make a change in that department.

It's just our defence is only now getting the recognition it deserves as the season wore on last year we got tighter and tighter and more organsied in defence. Yes Flamini has been a great signing and added some much needed bite but Arteta was unbelievable last season aswell and just reminded everyone of that against Liverpool the weekend.

His lack of pace will always catch him out at some stage, and as soon as it does everyone will hop on the Mertesacker is shít bandwagon again. If he had pace he'd be the best defender in the league, but he doesn't and from time to time teams will exploit that. He's still a very good defender.

It's a strange one. When he was signed people who'd pretty much never seen him play before decided he was shít before he'd ever put on an Arsenal jersey. I think it was just the way he was signed. A last minute purchase after the 8-2 defeat, therefore he's a shíte panic buy. It's somewhat useful though, you can usually tell people who actually watch the games and are capable of forming their own opinion based on their opinion of him.

I never considered him a panic buy tbh as he was a full experienced German international who was decent for the national team and Wenger had been linked with him for a long time before signing him like Arteta. It would seem though that Park and Santos fall into that category. Was surprised Wenger moved for Mert so late. Could have been a question of availability so he moved for Koc and Squillachi in Summer 2010 instead and while the former worked out....the latter stank up the place. Also Wenger was loyal to Djourou until it was discovered that 1. Djourou would never amount to a truly top class centre half and 2. His injury history.

I suppose though the fact that Sagna and Vermaelen were injured the day of that 8-2 defeat pushed Wenger to finally splash the cash on Mertsacker.

• Advertisement

I have been saying Mert was a brilliant signing from day 1 he had a huge calming influence on the defence his tackling at times can be brilliant and his reading of the game is immense he may lack pace but his other attribute more than make up for it. Even last season our defence was the second best in the league it was our attack that was lacking last season we didn't create enough chances to kill games off and the signing of Ozil, Ramsey's true emergence this season plus Giroud and Cazorla's second season in the league has really helped us so far to make a change in that department.

It's just our defence is only now getting the recognition it deserves as the season wore on last year we got tighter and tighter and more organsied in defence. Yes Flamini has been a great signing and added some much needed bite but Arteta was unbelievable last season aswell and just reminded everyone of that against Liverpool the weekend.

Arteta has been good to be fair but for me Flamini is more natural and dynamic in that position. Still a great dilemma to have the choice of both.

We have the strongest squad we've had in years. Its not quite invincibles (though few teams will ever emulate them) but its a squad more than capable of winning trophies provided we add one or two names.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Err... okay then.

Or people gave an opinion after actually watching him for Bremen where in his last couple of seasons they noted the numerous mistakes he was making on a regular basis.

Arteta has been good to be fair but for me Flamini is more natural and dynamic in that position. Still a great dilemma to have the choice of both.

We have the strongest squad we've had in years. Its not quite invincibles (though few teams will ever emulate them) but its a squad more than capable of winning trophies provided we add one or two names.

Yeh they offer different things in the role Arteta more the ball player but can tackle and do the dirty work were as Flamini for me is the more dirty get in your face type and willing to put his body and hair style :pac: on the line for the cause that's not diminish from him what he does though I love Flamini he is like a dog with the bit between his teeth at times on the pitch.

Our midfield options are ridiculous especially when or if we ever have everyone fit up front and in CB we could be a bit light if we get to many injuries. I'm still not sure if we can trust Verm again.

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Err... okay then.

Or people gave an opinion after actually watching him for Bremen where in his last couple of seasons they noted the numerous mistakes he was making on a regular basis.

In fairness I know you watch a lot of Bundesliga and know your stuff but he does kinda have a point in that the vast majority of fans who watch the EPL had never seen much of him and said he was shiit and had made up there minds before even seeing him play.

Yeh they offer different things in the role Arteta more the ball player but can tackle and do the dirty work were as Flamini for me is the more dirty get in your face type and willing to put his body and hair style :pac: on the line for the cause that's not diminish from him what he does though I love Flamini he is like a dog with the bit between his teeth at times on the pitch.

Our midfield options are ridiculous especially when or if we ever have everyone fit up front and in CB we could be a bit light if we get to many injuries. I'm still not sure if we can trust Verm again.

I reckon Verm is in his last season at the club. He just wont break that centre half pairing. They have are far too good an understanding of each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Err... okay then.

Or people heard one person say this and repeated it verbatim (and I'll include most pundits in that too). Fair enough you watch the bundesliga, 99% of the population in Britain and Ireland don't.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

In fairness I know you watch a lot of Bundesliga and know your stuff but he does kinda have a point in that the vast majority of fans who watch the EPL had never seen much of him and said he was shiit and had made up there minds before even seeing him play.

True. Thought of editing my post real quick and making the point you made in fairness.

I wouldn't say I had written him off, but for Arsenal's style of football, I couldn't see it working. Said as much in a couple of threads over the last handful of months, he's been superb for ye. Don't know who was awarded MOTM last night, but from an Arsenal POV, I'd have given it to him.

I reckon Verm is in his last season at the club. He just wont break that centre half pairing. They have are far too good an understanding of each other.

Yeh could be but I do admire his decision to stay this season and fight for his place.
    True. Thought of editing my post real quick and making the point you made in fairness.

I wouldn't say I had written him off, but for Arsenal's style of football, I couldn't see it working. Said as much in a couple of threads over the last handful of months, he's been superb for ye. Don't know who was awarded MOTM last night, but from an Arsenal POV, I'd have given it to him.

Yeh I probably would have given it to him myself last night he was just cleaning up everywhere in defence was a rock a player full of confidence at the moment.

They were two really tense games edge of year seat stuff which I enjoyed a lot even if my nerves were shot after each game. Would love Klopp someday as the Arsenal manager if yeas ever feel like letting him go :).

Yeh could be but I do admire his decision to stay this season and fight for his place.

Yeh I probably would have given it to him myself last night he was just cleaning up everywhere in defence was a rock a player full of confidence at the moment.

They were two really tense games edge of year seat stuff which I enjoyed a lot even if my nerves were shot after each game. Would love Klopp someday as the Arsenal manager if yeas ever feel like letting him go :).

Agree with you totally on Verm. Absolutely fair play to him indeed. This was a player coveted not so long ago. Massive credit to him.
    I hope Klopp gets the Arsenal job someday too especially with the current German Vibe around. It would be the perfect passing of the torch ceremony and i get the impression if Arsene chooses him then the job is Klopps to turn down. :)

If we can even get a point sunday i might start to believe :D

Advertisement