Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Increase - end of 1 year fixed

Options
  • 06-11-2013 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Thomas D

It's up to yourself. A year lease might bring more stability of tenure but you may want to leave within that time. Either way, you will be locking in the rent for a year assuming they are going to increase it either way. I would definitely get the lease offer in your hand first in case they try and punish you by offering a higher rent for a part 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

the whole issue of fixed term leases and part 4 is a grey area as the statute (2004 act) overrides contract law unless the terms on the contract are for the benefit of the tenant. you therefore already have a part 4 tenancy in place (however you are under an obligation to notify your landlord between 3 months and 1 month before the end of the fixed term that you intend to stay and if you don't and they have incurred costs of an agent etc you are liable for these costs if you decide to stay) and the lease cannot contain any clauses that are inferior to the 2004 act. Landlord and tenant are both entitled to review the rent once in 12 months in line with the going rent in the locality.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭the world wonders

There is no obligation on you to sign another 12 month fixed term lease -- in particular :
    • you cannot be asked to move out if you don't sign, as you are now a part 4 tenant*
    • your rent cannot be increased more often than once a year even in the absence of a fixed term lease

Your best bet is to haggle a bit -- reply saying "I'm willing to sign up for another 12 months fixed term at (€X - 50), for another 6 months at (€X - 25), or if that doesn't suit I am happy to stay on as a part 4 tenant at €X". I've had success with this approach in the past...

* the usual part 4 terms and conditions apply

Advertisement