Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Around The horn 2013 - Discussion thread

• 06-11-2013 9:31pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Someone mentioned this to me recently and honestly the thought had crossed my mind as it's been around 2 years since the last incarnation of this game on this board (not that I've ran it elsewhere).
    Simplified version of the rules:

I will post a topic and you have to post your response including why you made that choice within a given time limit (before the next match is scheduled to begin), take care while making your responses however as the other contestant can counter your arguement i.e pointing out possible flaws in what youve said.

*you can only counter an arguement two times so make sure your point is worth making. If someone's defense of their arguement isnt good it will count against them.

*You can use the same answer as your opponent if you wish i.e you agree with their choice however its hard to win a debate when your making the same points someone has already made

see the OP of the main thread for further details, the 1st match's thread or if any are needed or check out last years competition.

Thats generally how it's been done before, with two posters pitted against each other answering opened ended (i.e ones that could have a number of correct answers) such as:

Example 1: Who is the most under-utilized / underused person on the WWE Roster and what would you suggest should be done with them? Why is your choice better than your oponents?

Example 2: "Pitch to Vince" - Vince McMahon wants to debut a new stable on WWE TV in the next few months. Using only current WWE employees who would you suggest for this new stable and how would you pitch the group to Vince?

The latter part of that (example 1) however should only be referred to after your first answer as otherwise the person who answers first would be at a distinct disadvantage being unable to refer to their opponents argument in their opening post.

If you want to get further examples:

hope those links still work,

It will follow a King of The Ring style format as before and as highlighted below:

1 Boardsie no.1
    Boardsie no.2
    QF1:W1 vs W2
    2 Boardsie no.3
    Boardsie no.4
    SF1:WQF1 vs WQF2
    3 Boardsie no.5
    Boardsie no.6
    GF1:W3 vs w4
    4 Boardsie no.7
    Boardsie no.8
    Final:
    5 Boardsie no.9
    Boardsie no.10
    QF3:W5 vs W6
    6 Boardsie no.11
    Boardsie no.12
    SF2:WQF3 vs WQF4
    7 Boardsie no.13
    Boardsie no.14
    QF4:W7 vs W8
    8 Boardsie no.15
    Boardsie no.16

What is Around The Horn you say? well here is the explanation i usually included when i used to run the standerd version of this game on here.
    Around The Horn(ATH) is an american show on ESPN where a number of panelists/experts make arguments an a certain topic. The host awards points for each response depending on how well argued their point is, not neccesarily if he agrees with their point (although that helps) but how well they back up their argument. Obviously the winner is the person with the highest number of points at the end of the show. This format should work quite well here if anyone is interested, afterall there are a number of people here who like to think of themselves as experts on all things wrestling related, here is a chance to prove it.

Previous champs are:
    Vince135792003, Rosie1977, Fozzyx2, Charlie Mchugh & Bubs101 one was shared between cactus col and Machismo fan.

Im not 100% sure on who won the last one atm as it was announced on the boards.ie PW podcast iirc but the final was between thebostoncrab & Waltersobchek who I believe was defending his title from the previous year. (I think that covers all previous ATH tournies)

so who want's in? first 15 posters (I'm in) to say they are in here get a spot, then we will be looking for a few for a backup list ideally (as some drop out for various reasons often in games like this).

edit-

This years info:

Thebostoncrab
    Garsey
    QF1:crabby fella vs Nasty Shagger
    Shagnasti
    Gerrybbadd
    SF1:波士顿螃蟹 (tbc) vs MFer
    JP Liz V1
    Teamshadowclan
    GF1:man from the clan vs b.ie Mr TNA
    KanKan14
    Machismo fan
    Final:
    Omackeral
    Bounty Hunter
    QF3:Return of the Omackeral vs Just Joe
    Danger_DaveBeaker Joe
    Legend_DIT
    SF2:Mr McMahon vs another heel
    Campo
    Hashtagheel

QF4:Hashman vs Nash's Queen
    D.Q
    CastorTroy

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Definitely in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

Definitely in.

Yay since I mentioned it I'm in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

Count me in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

I have to defend my title!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Garseys

ooh this seems like fun, Count me in!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I have to defend my title!

Ahh so thats who it was, as it was announced on the podcast I couldnt find confirmation of that one as easily so the former winners were:

Vince135792003, Rosie1977, Fozzyx2, Charlie Mchugh, Bubs101, Waltersobchek & thebostoncrab plus one was shared between cactus col and Machismo fan.

and this years entrants so far are

Bounty Hunter
    Teamshadowclan
    Campo
    HashtagHeel
    thebostoncrab
    Garsey
    Danger_Dave (only person other than myself to have hosted one of these on here)

9 starting spots remain

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Danger_dave1

I'l come back for this ! :pac:

We usually have no problems getting 16 people so I will wait a day or two to see if we can get that many but could run a slimlined version of the game if we have less people.

Don't let the mass of text in the OP intimidate you though folks, it's easy to follow and that is just to give you all the possible info you could possibly need incase you need to reference it later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Anseo. Count me in so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I'll take a spot BH, getting a lot more into PW Boards these days so would like to give this a try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

ill give it a go if there is space.

more than enough space for you DQ, good to have you back in ATH along with new additions Shagnasti & Omackeral

Bounty Hunter
    Teamshadowclan
    Campo
    HashtagHeel
    thebostoncrab
    Garsey
    Danger_Dave
    Shagnasti
    Omackeral
    D.Q

6 spots still available

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,313 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Sure you can count me in as the car crash entrant. :)

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Sure you can count me in as the car crash entrant. :)

ok so

Bounty Hunter
    Teamshadowclan
    Campo
    HashtagHeel
    thebostoncrab
    Garsey
    Danger_Dave
    Shagnasti
    Omackeral
    D.Q
    CastorTroy

5 spots still available, cmon folks get your name down

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Kankan14

I'll give it a lash for the craic.

You're up on the timeline game ya snake, finish your business there first before starting here!!!

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Coolness, id like to give it a go.

Kankan14 wrote: »
    I'll give it a lash for the craic.
    gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Coolness, id like to give it a go.

Bounty Hunter
    Teamshadowclan
    Campo
    HashtagHeel
    thebostoncrab
    Garsey
    Danger_Dave
    Shagnasti
    Omackeral
    D.Q
    CastorTroy
    Kankan14
    Gerrybbadd

last 3 spots now up for grabs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Legend_DIT

I'll give this a go

last 2 spots available then ill get us started by drawing up the brackets for the 1st knockout round

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

Might as well give this another whirl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I'll give it a go too ;)

Might as well give this another whirl.
    JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I'll give it a go too ;)

wahey \0/

and with the return of the boards Mr TNA & the arrival of lady Liz we have the full 16. Backups are welcome incase anyone drops out but i'll do up some brackets now and in the next day or so we will have our first match up posted from these competitors:

Bounty Hunter
    Teamshadowclan
    Campo
    HashtagHeel
    thebostoncrab
    Garsey
    Danger_Dave
    Shagnasti
    Omackeral
    D.Q
    CastorTroy
    Kankan14
    Gerrybbadd
    Legend_DIT
    Machismo fan
    JP Liz V1

thebostoncrab
    Garsey
    Shagnasti
    Gerrybbadd
    JP Liz V1
    Teamshadowclan
    Kankan14
    Machismo fan
    Omackeral
    Bounty Hunter
    Danger_Dave
    Legend_DIT
    Campo
    HashtagHeel
    D.Q
    CastorTroy

Timestamp: 2013-11-10 23:56:39 UTC

which means the brackets look like this:

Thebostoncrab
    Garsey
    QF1:W1 vs W2
    Shagnasti
    Gerrybbadd
    SF1:WQF1 vs WQF2
    JP Liz V1
    Teamshadowclan
    GF1:W3 vs w4
    KanKan14
    Machismo fan
    Final:
    Omackeral
    Bounty Hunter
    QF3:W5 vs W6
    Danger_Dave
    Legend_DIT
    SF2:WQF3 vs WQF4
    Campo
    Hashtagheel

QF4:W7 vs W8
    D.Q
    CastorTroy

and it would seem the defending champion Thebostoncrab will be up first vs Garsey

Really like the first question. Love booking questions like that.

Won't make the same mistake this year of trying to be smart with linguistics :P

Come at me Liz!

Jaysus tough start :pac: having a good think about this one for sure!

Had to get my pick in as early as possible, because arguing against Kurt is a lot harder than defending him!

Had to get my pick in as early as possible, because arguing against Kurt is a lot harder than defending him!

Some amazing points and a great choice. There are a few cons when it comes to Kurt though, lets see if garveys can pick up on them. Good start to this!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

That's the first person i'd have picked too.

Even today Angle would have amazing matches with the likes of Punk, Bryan, Cesaro. Feud with Bryan and Cesaro as a heel, with Punk as a face.

Angle vs Lesnar at WMXXX....imagine...

Gotta go watch his street fight with Shane now :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Omackeral wrote: »
    Some amazing points and a great choice. There are a few cons when it comes to Kurt though, lets see if garveys can pick up on them. Good start to this!!!

Epic start so far

So made my choice, that was tough. went for the promo instead of the in-ring.

Bully was one of my back ups if you got Kurt before me! :P I also had written down Batista and Muhammed Hassan.

I'd the same believe it or not. :pac:

Bully was one of my back ups if you got Kurt before me! :P I also had written down Batista and Muhammed Hassan.

Batista was who jumped to mind for me straight away. Would have had fun with him.

Lad's savage match in the opening round so far!!!

• Advertisement

Just added the poll (I will always try to add it when both have made the same amount of responses), you can still each respond questioning the others choice once more if you wish.

The voting will close in 2 days but its possible the 2nd match may have started before your result is in but I probably wont run more than 2 ATH match up threads at once. Remember to vote for yourself, iirc that has been the difference in a match up before, having said that if there is a tie your vote for yourself wont count (wont make a difference if you both do anyway) and then if it's still tied only those who on thread state a reason why they voted will have their votes count.

That last point is why you can defend your posts as many times as you wish but only attack (for want of a better word) your opponents twice, i.e its possible you may want to defend your post against a voters opinion so as to try and nullify their opinion swaying late voters.

also worth noting that suggested question are always welcome, pm me if you have any (I usually include almost every suggestion given, or at least one per PM s I dont always get huge amounts of suggested Qs)

Final post done! Hope you all remember your three I's and vote Angle! :p

Enjoyed that, nothing beats a strong debate about wrestling :)

What? I must've misread the rules. I thought it was to the death!

Oh well, back on the wall the sword and scabbard go.

What? I must've misread the rules. I thought it was to the death!

Oh well, back on the wall the sword and scabbard go.

wait get them back down, TBC has countered your arguement twice but you have only countered his once thus far.

btw iirc I allowed 3 retorts each in the final. The idea of limiting the responses is to avoid people going round and round in circles and so it is easy for folks to read and vote on

• Advertisement

wait get them back down, TBC has countered your arguement twice but you have only countered his once thus far.

btw iirc I allowed 3 retorts each in the final. The idea of limiting the responses is to avoid people going round and round in circles and so it is easy for folks to read and vote on

I was just making a comment, think your reply was more aimed at Garsey. :)

I was just making a comment, think your reply was more aimed at Garsey. :)

a yes my mistake, no idea why I got you two mixed up. Cheers for the clarification tis you vs D.Q in the final matchup. D.Q has done this before iirc although that might have been back in the Dieselqueen days before boards got screwed up and many regulars had to re-reg, hense Jp Liz V1 instead of just JP Liz

haha my name change was by choice. Too many people getting my gender wrong (understandable), so I paid up and changed the name. DieselQueen was the name of my band years ago, signed up to promote it, in fact, but ended up using boards mostly for PW discussion. thankfully D.Q also has some wrestling connotations so it worked out ok.

@CastorTroy: I'll be gentle. It'll be over before you know it.

:D

sorry lads for the delay in my reply early start in work so I'll have it up later ;)

It's up. Good points TBC and must say I thoroughly enjoyed debating that topic with you! :) Hope the rest as a good as the opening one Bountyhunter!

Garseys wrote: »
    It's up. Good points TBC and must say I thoroughly enjoyed debating that topic with you! :) Hope the rest as a good as the opening one Bountyhunter!

Right back at you sir, you didn't make it easy on me! :p

Could keep it going, already looking at points and going "ah but..." Which is always the sign of a good debate in my books!

Right back at you sir, you didn't make it easy on me! :p

Could keep it going, already looking at points and going "ah but..." Which is always the sign of a good debate in my books!

I'm glad I made it that way :pac: you sure as hell didn't make it easy to not want Kurt back!

:p

just so I'm sure, its first come first served as far as who makes the first post?

D.Q wrote: »
    just so I'm sure, its first come first served as far as who makes the first post?

correct, and obviously being first gives you slightly more options with some Qs for instance Garsey could no longer really pick Angle last time - technically he could have but I dont think he would have gotten many votes picking the same guy as tbh. That said ATH questions are usually designed so there is not just 1 right answer as in the first example again Bully Ray would also be great in the WWE imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Will have something up in the morn.

• Advertisement
Advertisement