Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike metrics - power versus speed/distances

Options
  • 06-11-2013 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭

what are the options for those of us without a power meter ? genuine question.. im liking the swim and run tt tables, i know a bike tt table has probably too many variables... are there any other options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

mloc123 wrote: »
    That reminds me, I must find my PM and set it up..

I think some is going to give you a slap.
    woody1 wrote: »
    what are the options for those of us without a power meter ? genuine question.. im liking the swim and run tt tables, i know a bike tt table has probably too many variables... are there any other options

To be honest somewhat limited.
    You could get trainerroad and set that you for virtual power for your turbo trainer. It will be consistent(ish - wheel temperature affects it) but not accurate (at all). So you would need to get a friend with a real PM to do something like a step test on it (1 minute at 150 watts and increase by 20 watts every minute) so you could get a picture of how the trainerroad watts relate to the real world watts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

The other tables measure distance/time. Would it not be easier having a bike table TT say 20km/time?

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    The other tables measure distance/time. Would it not be easier having a bike table TT say 20km/time?

Mods can we break this out into a separate thread - "Bike metrics - power versus speed/distances" please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Too many variables KG, from road surface, weather conditions, elevation gain. A watt is a watt is a watt

You tore my post on protein apart for being non scientific. Yet here you are advocating distance and speed over power.........

• Advertisement

Too many variables KG, from road surface, weather conditions, elevation gain. A watt is a watt is a watt

You could say the same about the 3km run test, and same course and similar conditions should average most variables for the sake of loosely measuring progress- but I take your point. The FTP test is the grand daddy of them all, more precise than the swim or run tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

MOD: ok before we break it out lets be clear about what we want? FTP thread worked last year but not everyone has a power meter. 20km road is very subjective. Downhill tailwind TT?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

dont think hes arguing against power, just that a speed / distance table is the easiest option for those without pm, but no doubt its very flawed...

You could say the same about the 3km run test, and same course and similar conditions should average most variables for the sake of loosely measuring progress- but I take your point. The FTP test is the grand daddy of them all, more precise than the swim or run tests.

I did.
    I said calibrated treadmill or track for the run.

For the swim less variables really. Water density (pool temps usually similar), togs worn about it

MOD: ok before we break it out lets be clear about what we want? FTP thread worked last year but not everyone has a power meter. 20km road is very subjective. Downhill tailwind TT?!

Why not have both? Separately.

• Advertisement

tunney wrote: »
    You tore my post on protein apart for being non scientific. Yet here you are advocating distance and speed over power.........

The FTP test is a more accurate measurement of progress- no question. I don't want to derail your thread, but not everyone has a PM. No big deal, maybe a 20km/time table (or whatever) can work for those without a PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

tunney wrote: »
    Why not have both? Separately.

thats what i meant to start with ..obviously

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

woody1 wrote: »
    find yourslef a looped course and do test sets or tts whatever you think works for you best ( dpending on goals distance you race etc.
    ) if you take splite in each lab it also tells you nicely where you have to work on ie cornering climbing flats.
    for instance the dublin city tri course is a fantastic course for testing if you use a certain test set. ( its fairly constant and most of the time difference would come if you have to slow down at a few times but it levels itself up nicely )
    persoanlly i prefer test sets over 20 min tests same for bike an run but the 400 swim 3 k 20 min ftp test are useful in some respect and easy to compare which is the main point here.

Advertisement