Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lies your tenant told you

Options
  • 06-11-2013 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭

or suspected lies. Here's a list of reasons why this tenant I know camre up with for not being able to pay rent on time

1. There's a loan shark after me

2. I've split up with my partner (money has to be adjusted)

3. I'm back with my partner (money has to be adjusted)

4. I've Split with him again

5. Hey we're back together!

6. I had a miscarraige

7. It's my child's birthday

8. It was raining I can't go to the bank

9. I don't feel well I can't go to the bank

10. I was sexually assaulted

Ok beat that lot.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I'll just run home and photocopy the lease and I'll be right back.

3 Months ago!

Edit: Sorry, misread that as Lies your landlord told you. Honestly.

Edit2: If they have split up, and money had to be adjusted, presumably it was adjusted down. So why would they tell you they are back together for it be re-adjusted up?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Eamo71 wrote: »
    or suspected lies. Here's a list of reasons why this tenant I know camre up with for not being able to pay rent on time

6. I had a miscarraige

Ok beat that lot.

It sounds to me that no matter what has happened to your tenants in their personal lives, if they haven't paid their rent in full on time then you assume that any reason proffered is a lie.

I mean jesus, if someone who owed me money said that they had just had a miscarriage, I'd give them more time. Even if it is a lie, there must be something seriously wrong in their lives to say such a thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭iverjohnston

the power has been cut off, and Im not paying rent till you get connected again!
    Followed by: it is illegal for the ESB to cut off the power when there is a baby in the house.
    Followed by: I didn't open those letters from the ESB because my name wasn't on them, ("new tenant "on the letter)
    Followed : I had to throw out all the food in my freezer because the power was off , so I an deducting that from this weeks rent .
    Turned out she told the V de P the same fiction, and got a hundred euro emergency voucher for SuperValu.

Followed soon after by : I'm moving out, can we meet Friday to arrange rent/deposit. At house on Friday, I get a text to say the key is in the meter-box.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

I'm going to lock this thread until I can chat to the other mods

Edit: oK, I've chatted to a co-mod about this thread. We have agreed to leave it stand for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Eamo71 wrote: »

6. I had a miscarraige

Ok beat that lot.

Think you got lost. The Irish Landlords forum for bitching about their customers is thataway...

• Advertisement

the power has been cut off, and Im not paying rent till you get connected again!
    Followed by: it is illegal for the ESB to cut off the power when there is a baby in the house.
    Followed by: I didn't open those letters from the ESB because my name wasn't on them, ("new tenant "on the letter)
    Followed by I had to throw out all the food in my freezer because the power was off , so I an deducting that from this weeks rent .
    Turned out she told the V de P the same fiction, and got a hundred euro voucher for SuperValu.

Surely it should be easy to establish if the ESB did get cut off. If it was, I would suggest that everything that followed was at least plausible.

• Site Banned Posts: 106 ✭✭J.P.M

I'm going to lock this thread until I can chat to the other mods

Edit: oK, I've chatted to a co-mod about this thread. We have agreed to leave it stand for now.

Are you renting this thread as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Well it wasn't a lie but it was quite the reason for not paying rent:

"It was my girlfriend's birthday and I wanted to treat her to something nice. I took her to XXX and we did YYY and it was great. Oh by the way I spent all of the rent and bill money on her birthday. Hope thats ok!"

It was very not ok.

I mean jesus, if someone who owed me money said that they had just had a miscarriage, I'd give them more time. Even if it is a lie, there must be something seriously wrong in their lives to say such a thing.

Interesting you picked up on "had a miscarriage" and ignored the "I was sexually assaulted".

A few years ago a friend of mine swallowed half a pack of panadol and drank a bottle of wine and all her friends were "Its just a cry for help". My reaction was, well lets go fu*kin' help her.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

Not lies but, but here is some of the excuses I've been given.

I'm going on holidays and wont be using the flat for 2 weeks so I'll only be paying for half the months rent.

I wont be paying rent any more as I'll be leaving the country in 5 months, there is nothing you can do about it so don't bother wasting your time chasing me as it will take far longer to go through the courts.

My car was broken into and I'm deducting the cost of repairing the window, replacing my ray bans and half a days wages from the rent.

I gave my husband the rent to pay in but he spent it on his "whore". She subsequently dumped him and I still have her as very good tenant. The poor woman was devastated. I hadn't the heart to go after her for it, but it paid off in that I've had no issues in the past 5 years with her (less one months rent in 6 years).

There are only 28 days in February, surely the rent for that month should be less.

There was a spider in the bath so I had to go to a hotel for a bath. I have to deduct £100 from the rent to cover the cost. Can you send an exterminator around to remove the spider. Seriously - you couldn't make it up.

The light went in the kitchen and I had to get an electrician out to "repair" it ie, change the florescent tube. I am deducting the cost of the emergency call out and new light from the rent.

I could go on and on for ever....... most were just chancing their arm, but some times I wonder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,247 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Some of these are unbelievable. Interesting reading even from a tenants perspective!

To those saying it's only a thread for bitching, what's the harm? You'd be welcome to start a thread on bull**** your landlord has told you when she was trying to keep your deposit etc...

I gave my husband the rent to pay in but he spent it on his "whore". She subsequently dumped him and I still have her as very good tenant. The poor woman was devastated. I hadn't the heart to go after her for it, but it paid off in that I've had no issues in the past 5 years with her (less one months rent in 6 years).

If she has been a good tenant for 5 years why would you even bring that up?
    You'd be welcome to start a thread on bull**** your landlord has told you when she was trying to keep your deposit etc...

I don't think you would be welcome for starting such a thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

That gave me a laugh.

Have some beauties of my own from a former tenant who did a Pacific Heights job (80s movie reference - good movie from memory, though it's a long time since I saw it last) on my apartment before he left. Running out the door but will leave you with this beauty:

"I can't pay the rent this month as I got a new TV*."

*the tv was the 63inch tv they had in the Sony Centre a few years back. It was EUR7K at the time - not a typo!!!!

Before anyone asks how he could afford the tv it was bought on an identity fraud sourced credit card. I have some stories!

whatnext wrote: »
    Not lies but, but here is some of the excuses I've been given.

I'm going on holidays and wont be using the flat for 2 weeks so I'll only be paying for half the months rent.
    I could go on and on for ever....... most were just chancing their arm, but some times I wonder.

I had one like that too. One girl was annoyed at having to pay the rent on the day she moved in because she was going on holidays the next day so only her clothes and stuff would be there and how on earth did I think it was fair to make her pay rent when she wasn't going to be there herself.

Another girl decided she didn't like having to wash the dishes herself after living there for 3 months and so wanted me to buy a dishwasher for her and have it plumbed in at my own cost.

A different one asked me why my washing machine made her clothes smell different to when her boyfriend washed them for her in his house. She didn't like the smell when she washed them herself and threw a hissy fit when I refused to buy a new washing machine.
    the idea that it might be different washing powder/fabric softner never entered her head.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Thanks,I'm getting some great ideas here.

Thanks,I'm getting some great ideas here.

For reasons not to pay rent:p

• Registered Users Posts: 23,532 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I moved out yesterday, had this from the last tenant. She said she had being in hospital for two months and was moving in with her parents, the neighbours laughed when I told them the story as she had being having the usual smoke on the doorstep up to the day she moved and was not in hospital

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Valentine1

Had two tenants move out just before Christmas one year, arrived to collect keys and was told that they had lost one set the day before and only had one set to return. Low and behold when I came over the next day to clean the place and get it ready for the tenants arriving after Christmas I found the two girls sitting on the couch eating toast in their Pajamas.

They thought it was the perfect crime and were stunned that I had come round. Which was even more surprising considering that I had mentioned that I was planning to clean the place that day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭iverjohnston

syklops wrote: »
    Surely it should be easy to establish if the ESB did get cut off. If it was, I would suggest that everything that followed was at least plausible.

Of course the power was cut off, they never paid the bills! Company needed tenant to contact them but they would not. Turned out they had unpaid bills for several other properties in the past.

They were outraged that the power was cut off while they had an infant in the property. Told me that it was illegal for the provider to cut off the power.
    They bought candles, but then told me that the child (6 months) was afraid of the dark, so the girls father in law had to drive 120 mile round trip to bring her and child to his house.
    I got it sorted with the power company (partner finally agreed to put it in his name) and the power was on again in 36 hours.
    No way a freezer of food would spoil in 36 hours unless you left the lid open. Especially in the winter.
    When they left, there was over 30 bin bags of stuff left in the house, and the gas had been disconnected!

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Valentine1

"The table snapped when I put a... eh... laptop on it." was another good one. particularly when the day before his flatmate had told me it happened when "someone" had "rested their foot on it."

• Advertisement
Advertisement