Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Struggling...

• 06-11-2013 10:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭

Back again... :(

I'm in a constant cycle of training hard and energy/motivation slumps which is holding me back from meeting my goals and objectives.

My lifts are not impressive in terms of weight moved. I tried various things in order to get onto the next level but I've not been able to do it. currently I've dropped back down weight and am trying to ramp up again in the expectation that I will push beyond my previous best.

I'm getting frustrated and with this comes a lack of motivation. I'm not sure how to overcome this problem.

Things that I can do myself are getting more sleep and trying to avoid the gym at the busy periods. But as for the rest, I struggle.

I've been to PT's for routines and suchlike, but after the inital rush, when I get stale in the routine I struggle to figure out how to alter without omitting anything.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Eat more of everything. Honestly just eat more and keep the protein high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

Do you train with anyone.
    Sometimes having a training partner can spur you on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

My hours are varied due to flexi working hours and workload. I cannot commit to being at gym at certain times. Plus, I've never really found anyone at a similar level to me doing the same type of training at my gym.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

I've been to PT's for routines and suchlike, but after the inital rush, when I get stale in the routine I struggle to figure out how to alter without omitting anything.

Ill make a couple of suggestions based on the presumption you've not done these already if you have then ignore.
    Instead of using a PT (I'm presuming here that their program was one of the usual generic ones which can feel very aimless) research a beginners strength program. One where you can focus on just increasing your numbers on the big 3/4. The direction this gives you can help alot.
    Alot of the more basic plans are just that, basic. No need to worry about the 5th set of incline flys after 6 sets of flat bench flys, you just hit the basics hard and go home, that has you leaving the gym wanting to do more-exactly the feeling you need

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

My hours are varied due to flexi working hours and workload. I cannot commit to being at gym at certain times. Plus, I've never really found anyone at a similar level to me doing the same type of training at my gym.

I think you need to have people better than you training around you in order to improve yourself. Whether it be bigger, stronger, faster, whatever your goal is.

Can you find a better/different place to train?

• Advertisement

The gym is very well specc'ed but as it is a uni gym it is massively over subscribed. However, it is the one in the best location and price for me. I do wonder about installing a home gym instead then I would not have the worries about getting access to equipment etc.

However, I was struggling with 55kg benchs tonight. Really struggling and I weigh 64kg and have been benching 72.5 for reps only a few months ago. I'm totally confused as to where my strength/energy has gone.

My routine is pretty straightforward - it was given to me by the PT and concentrates on DL & Mil press on one day and Squat and Bench on the second day, alternating between each on each visit. Mostly compound movements and no secondary accessory exercises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Not eating well or enough, not sleeping well or enough, and being stressed isn't going to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭phlex

I completely know where your coming from, Everyone goes through this when they start off.

what are your days like? Id sit down and calculate how many macros you require to maintain bodyweight. there are easily accesable online calculators for this but if you cant find any I can give you the equation.

Once you figure this out (should take 3 minutes) slowly start adding calories, and aim to reach 700+ a day it might take a few weeks getting used to.

Simply Put eat as much as you possibly can. And dont exhaust yourself with bs workout routines and programmes Im not saying their all bs but most are aimed at experienced bodybuilders. Peolpe love to talk sh**t and overcomplicate everything, but genuinely its simple it just takes alot of time.

focus on your main compound lifts.
    stick to 3 sets of 8-10 reps and I gaurantee your strenght will increase.

And try GOMAD down as much milk as you can everyday. dont let yourself become hungry.

remember your body wont grow without excess food.

I've checked my diet and based what I've ate on two days this week it comes in at:

Calories: 2,996
    Protein: 149
    Fat: 125
    Carbs: 307

@ 5'6 and 63kg, is this okay?

Advertisement