Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap Coffee Machine?

Options
  • 07-11-2013 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭

I have never had one before and I'd love to buy one for €50 or under.
    I don't want the pods as they're too expensive. Debenhams have 1 or 2 that are on sale. I am thinking a Filtered Coffee Machine would be best. Any tips would be really appreciated, Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Prob get better amswers in the nargaon alerts request or better again in the coffee and tea forum

• Registered Users Posts: 24,256 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

TBH, at that price level, you'd be better off with a french press / cafetiere.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Buddy97mm

Having recently purchased a moka pot and realising how best to use it, I would highly recommend one.
    To me, the best are Bialetti Stainless steel (rather than aluminium) and they can be had for around €20-€25 online. Lavazza and Illy coffee work very well with these pots and can be purchased in most supermarkets.
    Be aware that size, 6 cup, 9, cup, 12 cup, does refer to espresso cups - a 6 cup gives me one decent mug in the morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

I have never had one before and I'd love to buy one for €50 or under.
    I don't want the pods as they're too expensive. Debenhams have 1 or 2 that are on sale. I am thinking a Filtered Coffee Machine would be best. Any tips would be really appreciated, Thanks :)

Aldi/Lidl do filter coffee machine if you're looking for one on a budget, Aldi might even have one still in stock, I think they have a number you can ring to find out about stock. I have a Tefal filter coffee machine, cant see how its much different from a Lidl or Aldi one really, although Im not a coffee expert, just a recent convert.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,377 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Buddy97mm wrote: »
    Having recently purchased a moka pot and realising how best to use it, I would highly recommend one.
    To me, the best are Bialetti Stainless steel (rather than aluminium) and they can be had for around €20-€25 online. Lavazza and Illy coffee work very well with these pots and can be purchased in most supermarkets.
    Be aware that size, 6 cup, 9, cup, 12 cup, does refer to espresso cups - a 6 cup gives me one decent mug in the morning

I'd second this (assuming that this sort of thing http://www.homestoreandmore.ie/coffee-makers/stellar-espresso-maker-6-cup/invt/017966 is what you're on about! That's the one I have.)

I was given one of these a few years ago, and it was the best present ever! Makes two really strong mugs of coffee (I dilute it down a bit, but it's still stronger than anything you'll get in a cafe, short of an espresso) in about five minutes on the hob. Lavazza coffee is grand, Illy if you're treating yourself - but basically any really finely ground espresso coffee to your taste.

ETA - just looked at that ad again - 80 quid :eek::eek::eek: I know for a fact it didn't cost that much!!! Think mine was about 40 quid, you'll surely find it (or something similar) for around that price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭pawrick

I'd also recommend the Bialetti at that price range. I got a 9 cup one in the xmas sales in arnotts last year for about 30 euro...as far as I remember. That does about two mugs and a bit. Also it looks nice in the kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭pawrick

I'd also recommend the Bialetti at that price range. I got a 9 cup one in the xmas sales in arnotts last year for about 30 euro...as far as I remember. That does about two mugs and a bit. Also it looks nice in the kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

Bialletti all the way, I got mine for £3 in a charity shop, maybe used a couple of times at most. Loads of people get them as presents and they just pass them on very kindly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

I would really recommend the aeropress in the above post.

You could also try second hand as most people who sell them on rarely use them.

For example.

Like http://www.adverts.ie/kitchen-appliances/coffee-machine-by-krups/3904597

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭raddo

Why not buy a cheap filter machine in Argos, range from ~€15 - €50, see if you use it and after a while go for a better more expensive machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭mtdelany

It is a myth that pod coffee is expensive.

I have a nespresso and buy two boxes a month at €3.90 or €4.20

That is fresh coffee for the month

I was previously buying a bag of coffee a month for about €4 or €5 and no matter if you airpress it or fridge it, if only stays fresh for a week after opening

At 39c per cup of coffee nespresso are the bees knees. At Xmas time they usually do offers of spend €100 on the machine and get €50 worth of coffee

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Ballyv24

How about a Philips Senseo machine?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Senseo-HD7814-Coffee-Machine/dp/B000QUSECA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1383814468&sr=8-1&keywords=senseo

I have a similar one and get lots of compliments.

This is the one that I have.

I buy pods for it on discountCoffee.ie where you can get 100 for €11.99. You can also buy 18 pods in Tesco for about €3.20

You can also buy your own coffee and use something like this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Melitta-Permanent-Padfilter-Senseo-coffee/dp/9792491325/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1383814468&sr=8-5&keywords=senseo or look into the coffeeduck for a senseo (but make sure that you get the correct one for the model of coffee machine that you have)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

Ballyv24 wrote: »

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Senseo-HD7814-Coffee-Machine/dp/B000QUSECA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1383814468&sr=8-1&keywords=senseo

I buy pods for it on discountCoffee.ie where you can get 100 for €11.99. You can also buy 18 pods in Tesco for about €3.20

You can also buy your own coffee and use something like this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Melitta-Permanent-Padfilter-Senseo-coffee/dp/9792491325/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1383814468&sr=8-5&keywords=senseo or look into the coffeeduck for a senseo (but make sure that you get the correct one for the model of coffee machine that you have)

+1. I have one at home and one at work! I buy my coffee pods from Amazon in bulk. 5 packs of mug-sized coffee pods for £29.99. Very nice coffee and much better than any take-away one I've ever had.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Douwe-Egberts-Senseo-Morning-Americano/dp/B009S4SYPW/ref=sr_1_30?ie=UTF8&qid=1383816025&sr=8-30&keywords=coffee+pods

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

Ballyv24 wrote: »

Thanks for the links. I usually get it from France as the choice is much wider and cheaper (I get supermarket's own brands, delicious ones from Peru and from Ethiopia, some flavoured coffees too), but I'm running low right now so will need to order

• Registered Users Posts: 65,490 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I have a low end Gaggia espresso maker (€95 shipped iirc). The built quality is poor, the yoke is noisy and vibrates heavily when running

Espresso quality is remarkably good though!
    Brian wrote: »

Nice chap, but 25g of coffee for a 10 ounce (300ml) cup. Really? That's US strength coffee alright. Seems mighty weak to me :D

Those senseo machines make terrible coffee. Very very weak . More like warm water .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,163 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Moved to BA requests

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭cuculainn

Buddy97mm wrote: »

What method do you use to get the best coffee. I have one of the stainless steel also (4 cup)

What I have started doing is adding boiled water to the pot, then it makes the coffee much quicker and doesnt get over heated.

What grind do you use? I think the really fine espresso grind is too fine, but its hard to find something more course...

Sorry for all the questions, but dont know many people who use the moka pots to bounce questions off!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Everyone's preferences are different, but I would take a moka pot over french press every day. You get a more intense flavour and stronger coffee from the bean. I have a Giannina moka pot, very clever design. Handle twists to open and the tray can be flipped to reduce the amount of expresso cups.

Go to any of the coffee houses that freshly roast beans and grind them yourself at home. They will also grind them for you, but you lose some of the flavour very quickly. If you are getting them to grind them for you then just get enough to get you through a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

brokenarms wrote: »
    Those senseo machines make terrible coffee. Very very weak . More like warm water .

Probably a matter of wrong pods or pressing 2 cups with only 1 pod

Or both.

I wouldnt claim Senseo is the best in the world but it is just very handy in the morning when you. like me, need coffee but also have no time to spare

Disagree, but everyone has their own preference.

From my experience, the coffee is the same strength as coffee from a Nespresso coffee machine. IMO, the biggest difference between the Nespresso and the Senseo coffee is the price of the pods.

Maybe Im not doing it right.

But its such a small amount of pre-ground coffee to fill a mug.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Maybe Im not doing it right.

But its such a small amount of pre-ground coffee to fill a mug.

If you fill a mug with just 1 pod, you are doing it wrong indeed.

The Senseo is from Holland where we drink our coffee normally in cups smaller than what you would get in a restaurant, maybe 2x the size of and espresso cup.

koffie_kopje_rianne_bedrukt.jpg
    So 1 pod would be for that size of cup.
    For a mug of coffee, you ll need to use 2 pods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

I disagree completely. They make lovely coffee. You're doing it wrong :p

inforfun wrote: »
    If you fill a mug with just 1 pod, you are doing it wrong indeed.

The Senseo is from Holland where we drink our coffee normally in cups smaller than what you would get in a restaurant, maybe 2x the size of and espresso cup.

koffie_kopje_rianne_bedrukt.jpg
    So 1 pod would be for that size of cup.
    For a mug of coffee, you ll need to use 2 pods.

That makes sense(o). :D

I was disappointed when I got the Senseo machine first because it only half filled my cups, so I put a double shot of water through one pod (this might be weak for some people but no complaints so far.)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

unkel wrote: »
    Nice chap, but 25g of coffee for a 10 ounce (300ml) cup. Really? That's US strength coffee alright. Seems mighty weak to me :D

There's nothing worth bragging about in "strong" coffee. The stronger it is the less you can taste subtle flavours, just like whiskey. Besides, strength is determined just as much by extraction time, amount of water, and temperature ... all the variables mentioned in the video!

The most common Aeropress amount is 17g of grounds I believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Buddy97mm

cuculainn wrote: »
    What method do you use to get the best coffee. I have one of the stainless steel also (4 cup)

What I have started doing is adding boiled water to the pot, then it makes the coffee much quicker and doesnt get over heated.

What grind do you use? I think the really fine espresso grind is too fine, but its hard to find something more course...

Sorry for all the questions, but dont know many people who use the moka pots to bounce questions off!!!

I also use boiling water for the pot, reduces the overall brewing time. In terms of grind, it is recommended to use a slightly coarser than espresso grind - however, as most shop-sold espresso grinds are really not that fine, I find they work fine in my moka pot. Lavazza and Illy work particularly well.

Ultimately, it is propably worthwhile to invest in a coffee grinder (I have one that cost about €20), buy some decent beans and grind freshly in morning to as fine a grind as this grinder will alllow (which is still coarser than true espresso grind). I also use a Brita filter for the water, which makes a pronounced difference.

Advertisement