Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SMB on Router?

• 07-11-2013 12:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,040 ✭✭✭✭

XBMC ATV2 SMB on Vodafone HG556a Router?

Just wondering if it's possible to access a hard drive plugged into my router from XBMC using SMB or any other means? I've tried pretty much everything I can think of, but I don't seem to be able to access my files over the network. Any ideas? Thinking about buying a new modem at the moment.

Comments

What steps have you taken?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,040 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I've tried searching for an SMB connection when adding a source through XBMC, but none appear. Then I tried adding the exact location of the hard drive manually and setting it as an SMB connection, but I got error 2.

Then I uninstalled and reinstalled XBMC hoping that the error would be gone, but that was no good.

I've looked at all the other connections, but nothing appears automatically. I haven't tried manually adding an FTP connection yet. Can this be used for the same purpose as an SMB connection?

Is it just XBMC where you are having trouble accessing the share? ie can you access it from a windows machine?

Is it just XBMC where you are having trouble accessing the share? ie can you access it from a windows machine?

I can access it from the laptop by mapping the network location. XBMC is where I really want to be able to access the drive from though!

I've managed to add the folders using ftp. I can now view my media from videos, but I'm getting "Unable to connect to remote server..." when I try to scrape for information. Any ideas? Could it be something got to do with the ports? "For security reasons, the Vodafone DSL Router is configured to block all incoming communication from outside your network. If you have applications that need to communicate with the outside world, you can authorise them by selecting them from the following list."

• Advertisement

All sorted now. Uninstalled the Universal Movie Scraper and reinstalled it again. Working great now.

Advertisement