Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Money debited--no idea who to.

Options
  • 07-11-2013 1:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,268 ✭✭✭

Hi!

So just checked my bank account and found I was down €300, inexplicably. €300 is quite a chunk of change for me and I definitely didn't spend. I have my ATM card on me at the minute and I don't think I've given my details out or had my PIN nicked or anything.

I'm going to my bank tomorrow but is there a chance I'll get this money back? I've no idea where it's gone to or who's debited it but I need it back! Help! What's the standard procedure? Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

The bank will investigate it and if it's no fault of your own you'll get it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,268 ✭✭✭IsMiseMyself

What exactly constitutes 'no fault of my own'? Like, I don't recognise the registered name and I definitely didn't spent the €300. Judging by the placement on the transaction in my 'pending transactions' folder, it happened somewhere between me getting money out at Heuston on Tuesday night and my buying my monthly Luas ticket this morning.

Sorry about going on about this, but I'm kinda panicking a little bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Ring your bank, do you have telephone banking? If not ring the number on the back of your card. If you card was skimmed, best to let them know ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭TheBoffin

In the case of card skimming then most likely you will not be the only one and the ATM ID will be flagged so you will get refunded.

The date on the pending transactions is not always correct, The date is set from when the merchant account reconciles with the bank, some places reconcile payments each night while others do it every 3-4 nights to save on batch processing costs.

Either way report it to the bank ASAP. There is a number on the back of your card that operates 24/7 to report lost or stolen, granted the card is neither but you can also report fraud activity via this line.

Best of luck.

Advertisement