Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Postgraduate grants for mature students

Options
  • 07-11-2013 1:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi,

I know this has probably been asked a hundred times, but I was wondering if anyone knew whether there was any postgraduate grants for mature students?

I've looked through the Susi website and student finance and I cant really figure out whats what:confused:.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

There's generally no funding for postgrad, other than Hdip. I'm completely open to correction on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

There are fee grants available but no maintenance grants afaik.

If you meet the special rate of grant criteria you can get your fees paid to a max of €6270. To get this you need to have an income into your home of less that €22,703 for the last full tax year and be receiving one of a range of DSP payments for a specified period. I think its 150 days for Jobseekers.

If you don't meet these criteria you might be eligible for a fee grant of €2000. For this you need a total income of less that €31,000 for the last full tax year. If you are a dependent or have dependents this limit might be raised depending on other factors such as how many children in the family and how many are studying at third level.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 burkie4

Hi can anyone help a mature student trying to get through my 2nd year of Computer Systems Management

• Registered Users Posts: 17 collegestudent

paperclip2 wrote: »
    There are fee grants available but no maintenance grants afaik.

If you meet the special rate of grant criteria you can get your fees paid to a max of €6270. To get this you need to have an income into your home of less that €22,703 for the last full tax year and be receiving one of a range of DSP payments for a specified period. I think its 150 days for Jobseekers.

If you don't meet these criteria you might be eligible for a fee grant of €2000. For this you need a total income of less that €31,000 for the last full tax year. If you are a dependent or have dependents this limit might be raised depending on other factors such as how many children in the family and how many are studying at third level.

Anyone know if these "payments" include Back to Education - if you have been receiving it for the last few years for your undergraduate?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,502 ✭✭✭✭ted1

shadowteam wrote: »
    Hi,

I know this has probably been asked a hundred times, but I was wondering if anyone knew whether there was any postgraduate grants for mature students?

I've looked through the Susi website and student finance and I cant really figure out whats what:confused:.
    The majority of post grads would be mature students as anyone over 23 is considered a mature student.

There is schemes like springboard which help those on the live register but genreally there's feck all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Anyone know if these "payments" include Back to Education - if you have been receiving it for the last few years for your undergraduate?

BTEA is only available for course up to level 8 on the NFQ. Its not available for Masters or PhD courses. It can cover post grad courses at level 8 such as H.Dips. Courses need to be fulltime and you need to be aged at least 24 to get the Allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 burkie4

That last post wasn't phrased right
    What i meant was is the anyone who can help a mature student who needs answers regarding the subjects I am studying, I am studying Systems Management but I struggle a bit with Maths and Web/Dev I was hope to find someone willing to answer questions on the subject

Advertisement