Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a good program to start creating music on

• 07-11-2013 3:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm interested in getting into creating music as a hobby. I'm currently involved in game development, and the hope would be to make the music for my games (after a couple of years practice, of course).

I have little knowledge of music theory, no skill with any instruments. I'm looking for a good program to get started with.

Ideally, I'd like something simple, cheap, which has youtube tutorials, and comes with samples. Using windows 7. Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭Paulie Gualtieri

not really that experienced in this kind of thing but I heard the program "fruity loops" (i think that's what its called anyway) is supposed to be good , google it to be sure , also think there are YouTube instructional vids . hope that helps a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭ShaneSheep555

Presonus - Studio One is suppose to be very good, quiet simply aswel!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭TroutMask

Reaktor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭woodsdenis

All of the major DAWs are good these days, it all depends on your workflow and preferences and how you like to work, I use Studio One to write on and would recommend you try it , I am sure they have a 30 day demo. Ableton is great too if you like to work that way, it really is apples and oranges.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Rob Humanoid

S1 is fantastic... It's easy to learn and has a great work flow. It's on-board FX are some of the best to be bundled with any daw.

But it 'aint particularly cheap, if you want the S1 professional. But it will be worth the investment if you really want to work at it professionally someday.

Logic 10 is good too and it's only $200, but you need a mac (which is not good for you obviously). And personally, I still prefer S1.

Any of the major DAWS will do you tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭Kilgore__Trout

Thanks for all the replies. I looked at all suggestions and other, and will try Acid Express for now, as it's free and I'm not sure if I'll stick with making music.

Tried acid express, but it was tough to get decent tutorials. Downloaded the 30 day ableton trial. Enjoying working through some tutorials. The tutorials I'm doing recommended massive as a synthesizer, but it's 199.

I'll probably buy ableton intro when the trial is up, but I'm not certain enough about massive. Anyone know of a free/cheaper synth that will integrate with ableton? If there's no decent freebie, maybe something that has a lite version that could be upgraded later. Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Pro-tools, Reaper, Logic, cubase, reason, are all similar DAW's that take a bit of learning to get used to but there's plenty of youtube tutorials for them.

FL studio would probably be the easiest of all them to start with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Anyone know of a free/cheaper synth that will integrate with ableton? If there's no decent freebie, maybe something that has a lite version that could be upgraded later. Thanks!

There's loads of free synths available. They won't be as polished as Massive but the basics will be the same. Look at something like Green Oak crystal which can create some nice atmospheric sounds. It has it's own website for patch banks and user guides
    http://www.greenoak.com/crystal/dwnld.html

Here's a list of some free VSTs (instruments and effects)
    http://www.musicradar.com/tuition/tech/the-27-best-free-vst-plug-ins-in-the-world-today-277953#!1

Thanks for info all!

• Advertisement

Ran into problems with Ableton. Often, when I save and exit, the track doesn't play back after opening it again. Kinda glad didn't buy it.

Try the FL Studio trial. It's very easy to get started with and there are tons of tutorials on YouTube. Assigning MIDI controls is also very straightforward. The interface isn't to everyone's liking but at least you can try before you buy :)

Thanks, will give it a try. If I like the demo, do you think the fruity edition (lite version) would do for starters, or is it missing some key functions?

I notice with some of the DAW lite versions, you can't use external synths or plugins. Doesn't seem to be the case with FL, but is there anything else that's missing?

All I'd probably want to do for the first while is make some stings and the like, and I won't need to record from any physical instruments.

Thanks, will give it a try. If I like the demo, do you think the fruity edition (lite version) would do for starters, or is it missing some key functions?

I notice with some of the DAW lite versions, you can't use external synths or plugins. Doesn't seem to be the case with FL, but is there anything else that's missing?

All I'd probably want to do for the first while is make some stings and the like, and I won't need to record from any physical instruments.

Well, it doesn't come with Sytrus, which is pretty decent synth, but it does support external VSTs so all the other commercial / free synths will work with it. I think the biggest issue (it would be for me anyway) is that the automation is recorded as part of the pattern. In the more fully featured editions you can create seperate automation clips which allow you place an automation parameter anywhere within the song. If it's included in the pattern clip then the automation occurs every time that pattern is triggered. You can get around this by creating a duplicate pattern without the automation, but it would mean a more messy arrangment window if you are using a lot of automations.
    Alternative you coould record the automation 'live' but you'd need to have everything worked out before hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

fruity loops defintely, rebirth too, very easy to use and will get you going, Reaper is very good but more advanced/steeper learning curve, tho I havent used fruity loops in a very long time it seems to not have changed much with the workflow

you can stick with Frutiy Loops and do everything with that, Reason would be the next step and it has grown alot recently, then ableton/logic/cubase etc, which you can use with Reason and FL but you probably wont want to by then

Thanks all. Settled on Fruity Loops. The UI doesn't seem quite as good as Ableton, but have encountered no problems with sound during playback.

Also like the way you can upgrade the versions at just a little more than had you started with a higher version. Can't complain about lifetime update also!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 tymeworkbeats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Thanks all. Settled on Fruity Loops. The UI doesn't seem quite as good as Ableton, but have encountered no problems with sound during playback.

Also like the way you can upgrade the versions at just a little more than had you started with a higher version. Can't complain about lifetime update also!
    free upgrades for life too!

Advertisement