Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has it really come to this??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭lahalane

Good version. Fair play to him. Always going to be daunting when you know youll be compared to the great Luke Kelly. Some of the negativity hes gotten is brainless. Saying that he shouldnt sing it cos hes not Irish? Some people need to get a grip.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,692 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Prefer the original, surprisingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

a well enjoyable version, fair play to Timberlake

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Needs more cowbell and bass.

• Site Banned Posts: 257 ✭✭Driveby Dogboy

• Advertisement

Not a bad version in fairness.

I wonder what those giving out would make of Cat Power's version! :pac: (I love her and her version btw, but it's so different I can't imagine Luke Kelly devotees being too impressed!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Seanachai

I think this version of the auld triangle is awful , Chris Thile is probably a decent fella but somebody should have told him that the 'oirish' accent was not the way to go. As somebody said on the radio during the week the song sounds like it's been through a mild chipmunk filter. I get angry when I hear this kind of stuff because it reminds me of what I'm seeing in society in general which is people trying to be hip by latching on to something that has heritage and depth. A Mr Glen Hansard is a repeat offender , bringing his own over-affected flavour to everything he touches.

This song and songs of it's calibre need a certain type of voice and performer such as Damien Dempsey. Although I don't think you need to be Irish to deliver it well , you just need a certain weight and quality in your voice. Chris Thine doesn't have it and he should learn from it , and as for the Mumfords , upper middle class twats dressed as paupers , funny how these people want all the folk history of the poor and the underdog but none of the suffering. These people are free to sing what they want it's just the way that people can't see that they're doing it for ego and not because it comes from the heart that's frustrating.

They latch on to anything that has heritage and power behind it and try to claim it as their own and it's tragic just like the white people who go to reservations in the US and give themselves Native American names.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭HerrScheisse

JT should stick to commercial records and bringing "sexy" back.

Stay off traditionals, by God.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,314 ✭✭✭✭endacl

In other news:

SINGER SINGS SONG IN SONG SUNG BY SINGER SHOCKER!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭HerrScheisse

Possibly.

I see no embellishment, no alternate interpretation. Why then?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Seanachai wrote: »
    I think this version of the auld triangle is awful , Chris Thile is probably a decent fella but somebody should have told him that the 'oirish' accent was not the way to go. As somebody said on the radio during the week the song sounds like it's been through a mild chipmunk filter. I get angry when I hear this kind of stuff because it reminds me of what I'm seeing in society in general which is people trying to be hip by latching on to something that has heritage and depth. A Mr Glen Hansard is a repeat offender , bringing his own over-affected flavour to everything he touches.

This song and songs of it's calibre need a certain type of voice and performer such as Damien Dempsey. Although I don't think you need to be Irish to deliver it well , you just need a certain weight and quality in your voice. Chris Thine doesn't have it and he should learn from it , and as for the Mumfords , upper middle class twats dressed as paupers , funny how these people want all the folk history of the poor and the underdog but none of the suffering. These people are free to sing what they want it's just the way that people can't see that they're doing it for ego and not because it comes from the heart that's frustrating.

They latch on to anything that has heritage and power behind it and try to claim it as their own and it's tragic just like the white people who go to reservations in the US and give themselves Native American names.

We don't all have to sound like gurriers to be able to sing this Song.
    Hansard has always done a great job with it and is singlehandedly responsible for it bein sung these days he's been playing it for over 20 years. Dempsey is a mad latecomer to the party.

No knock on damo but this new version is awful. That at least we can agree on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭LOTD

Music is for everyone, regardless of class or who they are. I love that Cat Power version.

david75 wrote: »
    We don't all have to sound like gurriers to be able to sing this Song.
    Hansard has always done a great job with it and is singlehandedly responsible for it bein sung these days he's been playing it for over 20 years. Dempsey is a mad latecomer to the party.

No knock on damo but this new version is awful. That at least we can agree on.

Gurriers? , do you think that any of the definitive versions of the song are sung by gurriers as you call them or do you mean drunk gob****es on the street singing it badly? ( not referring to Hansard busking but random revellers ). I'm sorry but I just can't get with Hansard , I could live with a bad singer if he was a harmless sort and didn't know any better. I don't just dislike Hansard , I don't like most of his cultish followers and what he represents in society in general. The same goes for Damien Rice , Lisa Hannigan et al , over affected , strained and peddling gloomy boorism. But if that's your thing then knock yourself out , I'm not a fascist I won't try and stop people from listening to crap. This article sums up my feelings towards the man and all his kind.

http://www.oxygen.ie/the_swell_season_strict_joy_review.PAGE2712.html

Begrudgery 101. There's U2 threads for that.

Begrudgery exists on a huge scale in this country for sure , if you stick your head above the parapet at all you're going to get it , it's an ugly part of our society. All you have to do is talk to people who have emigrated and sad as they are to leave a lot of the time , they'll tell you that they feel relieved that they're free from the tall poppy syndrome in Ireland. However this doesn't automatically mean that not liking an Irish artist is begrudgery , I don't begrudge people success , it's how they go about it that I have an issue with. But as is the case in every town and village in Ireland there's sacred cows and plenty of yes men to support them and people who don't have the intuition to see the truth in people.

What is this truth you speak of?
    Enlighten us

You can only enlighten yourself , I hear Hansard uses Hare Krishna chanting , might be a good place to start.

Also has a twenty year record of giving loads of up and coming bands support slots and a foot in the door(rice, ritter, dempsey, casey, mundy, hayes, director, delorentos, and countless others) also to this day letting them use his rehearsal space/studio and has given and continues to give emerging acts support slots, and features them during his gigs.
    Yeah. He's a real nazi.

Seanachai wrote: »
    You can only enlighten yourself , I hear Hansard uses Hare Krishna chanting , might be a good place to start.

Happen to know that isn't true but if it was, still not seeing the problem?

• Advertisement

You think he's a good guy , maybe even an exceptional person , I'm not going to convince you otherwise , I wasn't trying to. I doubt he is a nazi or has those tendencies , I just don't like the guy or anybody like him. The article I linked to sums up my feelings towards him and the type of music he makes. I'm not alone by any stretch , it's true plenty of people do like him and his music , good luck to them. It's not life and death.

Advertisement