Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booking a flight home next month.

Options
  • 07-11-2013 7:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭

Looking to fly home from Melbourne for Christmas..I have left it late! Current plan is to fly into London and get a ferry home from there to save some dollas. Brunei airlines seem to be offering the cheapest flights atm, but are still pretty expensive.

Anyone know any good price comparison websites (Skyscanner is proving unreliable), or good (cheap) airlines to check out?

Cheers

:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

The price of tickets to return home at christmas are always going to be expensive any time of year. At the moment a return flight from melbourne to dublin is $2500 whereas its $2300 from melbourne to london (flying 18th December - 8th January). Its simply not worth it to fly London then train to pembrook dock(4hours) then ferry across to dublin harbour(another 4hours+only two per day) then the same for the return journey. You're not saving money and are wasting two days that could be spent at home. Id just fly direct

Funnily enough i had the same dilemma this time last year. I decided i was going to spend 3k in Melbourne over christmas instead. I think it was worth it, was a bit of a haze

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭the flananator

Flying one way, won't be coming back. Have ferried home from London for Xmas, its not too bad, takes a day but its only 35 Euro. The flight to Dublin from Melbourne is an extra $300 so that just doesn't seem worth it at this point :)

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭danotroy

Try KAYAK.COM. MEL to DUB on the 18th of Dec $1475 with Turkish airways 40 hours. I just checked right now. Melbourne to Thailand to Dublin easy.

If you nab a flight direct to London you will save 300 dollars but you will have to pay for the ferry and the transfers into the city carrying all your bags. You will have to buy bottle water, food and maybe a pint. You will have to get some sterling. I value my time as a commodity if I have to pay 300 to have all my bags checked straight to Dublin and the whole process take 30 hours rather than saving 300 dollars (less 150 dollars expenses) and the process taking 50 hours I would consider the 150 dollars well spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Flying one way, won't be coming back. Have ferried home from London for Xmas, its not too bad, takes a day but its only 35 Euro. The flight to Dublin from Melbourne is an extra $300 so that just doesn't seem worth it at this point :)

Try it after getting off a flight on your way home from Australia!!:eek: Your a better Man/Woman than me if you do it. The missery involved, I am shuddering thinking about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Flights go up in price sharply after the first week in December. Last cheap flights I am seeing is Melbourne to Manchester on December 6th for $1,037.

http://matrix.itasoftware.com/ is good for searching flights but won't let you book.

EDIT: Lots of cheap flights from MAN to DUB earlier that week. Could get to DUB for less than the ferry ticket.

• Advertisement

Ha I won't be getting the ferry right after the flight; I have mates in London I'm looking forward to seeing who I'll crash with for a night or two. Thanks for the links though! Will definitely have a look. Manchester could be an option.

Ha I won't be getting the ferry right after the flight; I have mates in London I'm looking forward to seeing who I'll crash with for a night or two. Thanks for the links though! Will definitely have a look. Manchester could be an option.

Keep trying different combinations on kayak. If you fancy a roundabout trip you can score a one way from mel to lon for about $500 dollars in philippine airways. flights goes Mel to KL to Manilla to London 40 or so hour flight.

danotroy wrote: »
    Keep trying different combinations on kayak. If you fancy a roundabout trip you can score a one way from mel to lon for about $500 dollars in philippine airways. flights goes Mel to KL to Manilla to London 40 or so hour flight.

Cheers. How would one go about doing that?

Cheers. How would one go about doing that?

just keep trying different dates. I just did KL to london on the 11th of dec and got $450. Airasia to KL is $320 so you can get to london on the 11th of dec for 800 dollars.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭s.c

Try China Southern Airlines. Cheap and cheerful. Fly to Amsterdam and London.

• Advertisement
Advertisement