Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question for Ath M50 Owners

• 07-11-2013 9:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 898 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Just a quick question for any of you Audio Technica ATH M50 owners.

When you play youtube clips or say music that is only 128 KBPS from an iPod etc, do you get slight crackling at different frequencies?

I seem to be getting a bit of what I can only describe as crackling at some ranges, for example, this clip from youtube played through my Macbook Pro: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvBtQmY2B5I

For the first 20 seconds or so, I seem to get some additional unwanted noise to the 'pure' tone that's mean to be heard. I know that it's only a youtube video and the quality won't be the best etc, but I'm finding some crackling in different songs - high quality (flac/CD) as well as lower quality.

One example is Snow Patrols 'You're all I have' from around 2.30 minutes on, there seems to be some bad distortion (not sure if right word) or crackling.

Any help would be great, they seem a good headphone, but no matter what source I use it seems, I still get this awful annoying crackling now and again.

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Plays fine for me on M50s.

What else have you tried source-wise?

Have your tried other headphones/earphones with your iPod/MBP?

Have you looked into file corruption?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 898 ✭✭✭OREGATO

Morf wrote: »
    Plays fine for me on M50s.

What else have you tried source-wise?

Have your tried other headphones/earphones with your iPod/MBP?

Have you looked into file corruption?

Thanks for the response Morf.

You see, when I play that youtube clip above with my pair, the left ear seems to have a buzzing within the first 20 seconds which doesn't really add up. I know about bad quality etc, but this crackling isn't normal.

I've had Beats in the past and tehy were fine on my iPod/MBP and at the moment I use Sennheiser CX400 II's or CX300's with my iPods for when I'm out and about.

Files are fine and play fine through the headphones, I'm using the CX400's as we speak in work and don't get any of the crackling or distortion.

Source wise, I've used a Pioneer Hifi system which has a decent amplifier with CD's and it's the same, crackling/distortion, I've used the MBP with Flac files, I've used another Acer laptop with Flac files, I've used iPad/iPod Nano with 320 KBPS files and still crackling. MP3's sound fine through speakers and other headphones with the only exception being the ATH M50s...

Shame about them. I've had to contact Audio Technica UK to get any type of resolution as I've had a very bad experience with the supplier (bricks and mortar shop in Dublin)

If I'm honest, it's the second pair I've received from them, it turns out the first pair I got were used, I found it strange when I got them home as the foam part had gone hard and wouldn't be the type of quality you'd expect, not only that, but there was a distinct smell from them which didn't go down well (I'm talking hair gel/hair spray), when I tried to return, I was told that the foam was a different type used to another pair (he opened another box - brand new to my surprise to check the quality of the foam. He said he'd send them off and have them looked at and was told it could take anywhere from 2 weeks to a month as they've to send them off or something and something. I asked for a manager who wasn't around, I asked why they couldn't swap them out for another pair as they had a bit of stock and he said he couldn't.. Snotty, rude, ignorant and left me with a pretty sour taste in my mouth.

Left my details and next day got a call to say that a new pair were waiting, not even an apology or an explanation as to what happened, that was a surprise however, turns out this pair are not better than the last, so I've just contacted audio technica direct and will get them to look at them.

Shame, I actually thought it was a good idea to buy these from a bricks and mortar shop who were an 'authorised reseller' shame their customer service and quality of goods didn't live up to the standards expected, needless to say, I'll be buying directly online or elsewhere for similar products and not said shop.

Hopefully will get them back at some stage next week. One thing to mention is Audio Technica have been very helpful with everything. Just be aware if anyone is reading this and thinks about buying a pair, best place to buy them is Audio Technica themselves - you know what you're getting and at least it's straight from the maker.

It does sound like a driver/headphone issue when you explain it that way.

Sorry to hear about your hassle with them. Glad to hear that AT are treating you well.

Amazon returns policy is supposed to be very simple and straightforward if you ever thought about using them.

Going on your experience said bricks and mortar don't sound reputable to sell you a display model at full price. After that you'd have to be suspicious when the replacement was faulty.

It really makes sense for this kind of company to go the extra mile with customer care/satisfaction.

They want you upgrading to higher spec stuff in the future (as audiophilia and disposable income increase) with their brand so having full confidence and good will towards them is something that they strive for.

• Advertisement

Agreed. It has been a nightmare really. The thing is, I wasn't able to pick them up myself as I work odd hours so the OH went in for me as she was in town. She showed the guy the picture and was handed a box and she paid for it.

On bringing them home, I noticed that someone had actually scribbled in an 'S' on the box as in Ath M50s which is meant to be the product code for the straight cabled version. The box however, mentioned coiled cable - this was the first thing.

On opening the box, I found that the straight cable wasn't wrapped in a bag or anything like that, I didn't think anything of it really as I never even held a pair before. But then, taking them out, you could get a strange smell, at first I was thinking the leather, but it was definitely hair spray or something else. But then, I took them out and noticed that the foam part of the headphone was actually rock solid, again, I had no experience of them, but from owning other brands, I would have assumed that these would be soft leather.

I left it a few days, being busy with work etc, I used them a bit and they seemed ok but I decided to go back in. At which point, their customer service really failed them. I would have had no problems if they would have just replaced them but being accused of making up stuff and that "they're meant to be like that" don't sit well.

Either way, I won't be going back to the same shop, especially with the way they treat their products and the way they treat their 'customers'

OREGATO wrote: »
    Agreed. It has been a nightmare really. The thing is, I wasn't able to pick them up myself as I work odd hours so the OH went in for me as she was in town. She showed the guy the picture and was handed a box and she paid for it.

On bringing them home, I noticed that someone had actually scribbled in an 'S' on the box as in Ath M50s which is meant to be the product code for the straight cabled version. The box however, mentioned coiled cable - this was the first thing.

On opening the box, I found that the straight cable wasn't wrapped in a bag or anything like that, I didn't think anything of it really as I never even held a pair before. But then, taking them out, you could get a strange smell, at first I was thinking the leather, but it was definitely hair spray or something else. But then, I took them out and noticed that the foam part of the headphone was actually rock solid, again, I had no experience of them, but from owning other brands, I would have assumed that these would be soft leather.

I left it a few days, being busy with work etc, I used them a bit and they seemed ok but I decided to go back in. At which point, their customer service really failed them. I would have had no problems if they would have just replaced them but being accused of making up stuff and that "they're meant to be like that" don't sit well.

Either way, I won't be going back to the same shop, especially with the way they treat their products and the way they treat their 'customers'

Bricks and Mortar still have some leeway when it comes to bad service. They're still there if you need something ASAP. If you get really messed about online you'll be unlikely to use them again. One might possibly write something critical about them on facebook or twitter or forums etc. and that all builds up if someone does a google search of negative issues.

Hopefully the AT customer care team see you right soon.

Advertisement