Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

charges on a (possibly) dormant current account

Options
  • 07-11-2013 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭

Hi, 
    I have an account with you which I havent used in over 10 years since my days as a student. 
    I see that recently the conditions have changed that there is a quarterly fee payable, which is a move away from the "pay as you go" model which existed previously. 

Now, I'm just wondering if I am being charged the quarterly fee on the account which is most likely at this stage classified as dormant?  

Thats one issue. 
    The other is how to make it undormant and get the address changed to where I am currently living in Germany. 
    What all documents would I need to get this done? Because I cant just nip back and get any missing documents at home, I'll need to have all that is necessary gathered up in advance!
    And, can I do this at a different branch to where the account is registered? I opened it in Cavan town but will be in Cork at christmas. 

And just for info, I'm doing this as I am closing my Ulster Bank account which I have for the past 30+years due to their exhorbitant fees being charged on the account regardless of its use and the fact that they have closed the local branch which existed in my town since something like 1860.   
    The bank of Ireland model is much fairer, i.e. small fixed fee and then the more you use the more you pay and theres a major branch in the town where my wife comes from so is practical in that aspect too. 

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Billy

Hi munchkin_utd,

Thanks for your post.

When there is no customer generated transactions on an account for three years the account becomes inactive and blocked to debits. After fifteen years the account would become dormant, closed and the balance transferred to NTMA.

To have the account updated, you can post original or certified copies of photo id and address verification to your branch. You can find a full list of branch postal addresses here. Alternatively, you can drop into any branch when you are in Cork at Christmas and the staff member will send the details to your branch. Once your branch have updated the account and removed the inactive indicator, you will then have full access to the account.

Should you have any questions on the account, you can call Banking 365 on 00 353 1 4044000 / 0845 365 365. Representative assisted hours are 8am – 12 midnight Mon – Fri and 9am – 9pm Sat, Sun and Bank/Public holidays.

I hope this helps.

Thanks

Billy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Hi munchkin_utd,

Thanks for your post.

When there is no customer generated transactions on an account for three years the account becomes inactive and blocked to debits. After fifteen years the account would become dormant, closed and the balance transferred to NTMA.

To have the account updated, you can post original or certified copies of photo id and address verification to your branch. You can find a full list of branch postal addresses here. Alternatively, you can drop into any branch when you are in Cork at Christmas and the staff member will send the details to your branch. Once your branch have updated the account and removed the inactive indicator, you will then have full access to the account.

Should you have any questions on the account, you can call Banking 365 on 00 353 1 4044000 / 0845 365 365. Representative assisted hours are 8am – 12 midnight Mon – Fri and 9am – 9pm Sat, Sun and Bank/Public holidays.

I hope this helps.

Thanks

Billy
    Hi Billy, 
    what would be considered as address verification? 
    Nearly all bills are done through the rent agreement with the electric and telecom in the wifes name, I pull current account bank statements from the wee printer yoke, so the only official letters that I receive are stuff regarding insurances and pensions.
    Would that do ? 

And thanks for the quick reply!  

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Billy

Hi munchkin_utd,

A government document or a statement from another financial institution would be accepted as long as it has your name and address and is dated within the last three months.

Thanks

Billy

Advertisement